It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re watch Defensive notes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:45 pm 

I decided to just put out some notes from re-watch:

Slow down on Chickillo. Way the fuck down. Yes he had 2 sacks but they were more due to rookie holding the ball than direct pressure. Outside of that? Man Chickillo was bad. He got shoved all over the place in run game, looked totally lost in coverage and on majority of pass rushes went awol. This team needs Dupree, Chickillo right now is a spot starter at best.

Haden had a stinker. He got beat deep x 2 once by a RB and some scrub WR I'm not familiar with. I just don't see any speed at all. Put me down as deeply concerned with him going forward.

Tuitt and why PFF is a massive fucking joke. Tuitt played what 2 snaps? On those 2 snaps he destroyed Browns interior and looked like the beast I'd been seeing in pre season. Yet in PFF grading? He was put down for a 79. Which is a good grade but he had two plays and was perfect on both so how the fuck did he end up with a less than perfect grade or a grade at all for that matter? Not just Steelers but this sort of crap is chronic with their "grading;" I promptly shit canned my subscription. Dumb me to keeping it for this long.

Heyward & Hargrave. Looked great. If Tuitt had stayed in there Kizer might not have made it to half time. Tyson A was ok but he is a spot starter and a back up. He got blown off ball when his snap count began to mount...Need Tuitt back soon not just for dline but to make this D a top ten unit.

Mitchell had a good game. Davis did not and Wilcox if he can stay away from silly head shots will be starter very soon.

Burns had a very good game and on TD got royally hosed. Clear as day Coleman didn't just put his arms in Burns chest he pushed off hard right in front of Ref on sideline who did F all. Piss poor non call.

Gay has lost speed it is obvious not I'm not talking about rub route he lost TE on (mainly because that was a clear OPI) but on a deep ball he got chewed up and a few plays in middle of field he was steps behind. His hit was stupid and not needed. Burns had coverage to stop WR short of sticks and Gay merely needed to help with clean up.

Hilton got beaten deep once but still looked far better than Gay.

Didn't notice Sens.

Shazier had a good game but it could have been better. He did an excellent job in pursuit to clean up missed tackles and stop 3rd down conversions. I wanted a splash play but didn't happen.

Williams was ok. Dirty red has to make that play on Kizer at goal line.

Now for the cream: TJ Watt. He was not perfect missed a few tackles and yes Thomas swallowed him whole a few times but he sure made Thomas earn his money. He gave Thomas fits at times with pass rush and looked quicker than he did in pre season. Against a lesser tackle he could've had a field day. His Int was superb. Hands, leap and anticipation. His run D is way beyond anything we had a right to expect. It is early but he looks the real deal.

Deebo needed more snaps.

Pens: thought DPI on Davis was ticky tacky, as was PF on Watt. Shaz & Gay just piss poor decisions deserved flags. Burns held a tiny bit but given Coleman and Britt were clearly shoving/pushing all game? A BS flag. Gay and Burns got hosed on obvious OPI. I get play Gay got "beat" on rarely gets called but that call on goal line right in front of ref bugs the crap out me especially when Browns DBs tried every clutch, grab, hold etc on AB & Bryant all game with only 1 call all game: DPI on Taylor v AB. Frustrating. I guarantee had Burns tried to shove back a flag comes fluttering out and 4 n 2 turns into 1st n goal.

Overall not bad, have to think losing Tuitt fucked with D a bit and got in their heads. I am really concerned with Haden. Really concerned. Thielen or Diggs are going to cause him major issues. He will need help and better hope Burns can hold up in single coverage.

Post subject: Re: Re watch Defensive notes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:57 pm 

steelclan wrote:
I got to tried from laughing so hard at Ted Cruz last night so decided to just put out some notes from re-watch:

Slow down on Chickillo. Way the fuck down. Yes he had 2 sacks but they were more due to rookie holding the ball than direct pressure. Outside of that? Man Chickillo was bad. He got shoved all over the place in run game, looked totally lost in coverage and on majority of pass rushes went awol. This team needs Dupree, Chickillo right now is a spot starter at best.

Haden had a stinker. He got beat deep x 2 once by a RB and some scrub WR I'm not familiar with. I just don't see any speed at all. Put me down as deeply concerned with him going forward.

Tuitt and why PFF is a massive fucking joke. Tuitt played what 2 snaps? On those 2 snaps he destroyed Browns interior and looked like the beast I'd been seeing in pre season. Yet in PFF grading? He was put down for a 79. Which is a good grade but he had two plays and was perfect on both so how the fuck did he end up with a less than perfect grade or a grade at all for that matter? Not just Steelers but this sort of crap is chronic with their "grading;" I promptly shit canned my subscription. Dumb me to keeping it for this long.

Heyward & Hargrave. Looked great. If Tuitt had stayed in there Kizer might not have made it to half time. Tyson A was ok but he is a spot starter and a back up. He got blown off ball when his snap count began to mount...Need Tuitt back soon not just for dline but to make this D a top ten unit.

Mitchell had a good game. Davis did not and Wilcox if he can stay away from silly head shots will be starter very soon.

Burns had a very good game and on TD got royally hosed. Clear as day Coleman didn't just put his arms in Burns chest he pushed off hard right in front of Ref on sideline who did F all. Piss poor non call.

Gay has lost speed it is obvious not I'm not talking about rub route he lost TE on (mainly because that was a clear OPI) but on a deep ball he got chewed up and a few plays in middle of field he was steps behind. His hit was stupid and not needed. Burns had coverage to stop WR short of sticks and Gay merely needed to help with clean up.

Didn't notice Sens.

Shazier had a good game but it could have been better. He did an excellent job in pursuit to clean up missed tackles and stop 3rd down conversions. I wanted a splash play but didn't happen.

Now for the cream: TJ Watt. He was not perfect missed a few tackles and yes Thomas swallowed him whole a few times but he sure made Thomas earn his money. He gave Thomas fits at times with pass rush and looked quicker than he did in pre season. Against a lesser tackle he could've had a field day. His Int was superb. Hands, leap and anticipation. His run D is way beyond anything we had a right to expect. It is early but he looks the real deal.

Deebo needed more snaps.

Pens: thought DPI on Davis was ticky tacky, as was PF on Watt. Shaz & Gay just piss poor decisions deserved flags. Burns held a tiny bit but given Coleman and Britt were clearly shoving/pushing all game? A BS flag. Gay and Burns got hosed on obvious OPI. I get play Gay got "beat" on rarely gets called but that call on goal line right in front of ref bugs the crap out me especially when Browns DBs tried every clutch, grab, hold etc on AB & Bryant all game with only 1 call all game: DPI on Taylor v AB. Frustrating. I guarantee had Burns tried to shove back a flag comes fluttering out and 4 n 2 turns into 1st n goal.

Overall not bad, have to think losing Tuitt fucked with D a bit and got in their heads. I am really concerned with Haden. Really concerned. Thielen or Diggs are going to cause him major issues. He will need help and better hope Burns can hold up in single coverage.

Don't have time to comment on all, but good stuff Clan.

Haden concerns me as well. He's a savvy vet (like Gay), but it concerns me he has some of the vet stuff (like Gay) we don't want as well....like major lack of speed. I fear a good, in sync, QB/WR combo is going to eat his lunch all day long.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:09 pm 

Thanks for the notes, clan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:12 pm 

steelclan wrote:
I got to tried from laughing so hard at Ted Cruz last night so decided to just put out some notes from re-watch:

Didn't notice Sens.

Deebo needed more snaps.

Thanks Clan! Thoughtful commentary like this is one big reason I'm here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:15 pm 

Minor correction on TD Burns "gave up' Coleman had one hand in Burns face mask. Man that was a bad no call and the back judge who tossed flag on Wilcox had a clear as day view of play as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:28 pm 

steelclan wrote:

Did you get a chance to see how Walton looked? Apparently he was out there for 17 plays but I don't remember seeing anything outside of maybe one tackle?

If Tuitt can't go next week then he'll obviously play a big part in the rotation.

Last edited by Pabst on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:31 pm 

Pabst wrote:
steelclan wrote:

Did you get a chance to see how did Walton looked? Apparently he was out there for 17 plays but I don't remember seeing anything outside of maybe one tackle?

If Tuitt can't go next week then he'll obviously play a big part in the rotation.

No mostly paid attention to starters and familiar names. I'll glance at him when I get chance and post something.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:45 pm 

Good job Clan.

So far Haden is who I thought he was. Veteran with good technique. But vulnerable to Speed. Need to see more. He will be tested every game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:44 pm 

Thanx for doing this Clan.

Tuitt was only in two plays but he was demonstrative on both. The first one he beat the RT with an inside move and just missed bringing Kizer down for a big loss. On the second play he fought off the chip by the RT and beat a pulling Bitonio to the back smacking him out of bounds for a big loss.
You can see ST grab his arm after that second play.

I heard today that he is questionable for this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:42 pm 

Edit

Last edited by Obviously on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.