It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fort Cut, Johnson Re-signed
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:35 pm 

I think this was a salary cap/cash move. Steven Johnson is a vested veteran and Fort is not.

If Johnson had played last week, Steelers would have owed him his full $775K season salary. This way, they can pay Johnson the minimum and only for the games he stays on the roster. Could go back and forth with the 2 ILBs at basically one salary between them, or cut SJ in an emergency w/o financial penalty.

Post subject: Re: Fort Cut, Johnson Re-signed
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:42 pm 

I'll be interested when cut thread has Gay and Golden in title.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:39 pm 

Thought Gay was a serviceable backup on Sunday. Hilton played a little nervously, I thought.

Golden is locked in, now-- looks like Wilcox will miss the game, and the only other safeties on the roster are Mitchell and Davis.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:07 pm 

I'm not quite ready to cut Willie Gay. He's got that vet cred.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:38 pm 

I think golden is the guy who will be next on the block wonder if they try to bring up Hagen or back dangerfield.I think Hilton is going to be better with a game under his belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:52 pm 

That's too bad I think Fort adds value to the ILB back up spot. Johnson has done nothing that I've seen to jump in front of Fort. Johnson has done nothing in his career to date except bounce around from team to team and play nothing more than ST's. Fort adds depth at both ILB and ST's. Fuck off Johnson.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:15 pm 

I don't think Golden is going anywhere, he does have starting experience and is one of our better special teams player, he has been selected to be the Special Teams captain 3 times, so go ahead and try to debate that he is not one of our best ST players. Nix and Chickillo both led the team with 20 ST snaps Sunday, and Golden was second with 19 ST.

Besides, Gay, with all of the reps he got in practice at safety, he can be the 4th safety while Wilcox recovers from his concussion. No need to cut somebody and bring Hagan on for what, one game? That is stupid.

I will say this about Hilton, it seemed to my eye that he was not being targeted as much as Gay was by the Browns. Hilton had 34 snaps, Gay had 26 snaps, and they were both on the field at the same time when we ran Dime in the first half. I remember a couple times on some crossers where Hilton was in the hip pocket of his man, but Gay was not and that is who Kizer threw the ball towards. Gay, again, continuing his theme from last season, is just slowing down, not tight in coverage any more and teams are able to pick up first downs by targeting him. 3rd and Gay is probably a play in every opposing team's playbook at this point.

Hilton looked like he belonged out there as the nickel back, did not give up any big plays, and admittedly had a quiet game with no splash plays, he did have 15 ST snaps. To me so far so good with Hilton.

I was shocked that Wilcox got the number of snaps he got, which was 20. They were trying to ease Mitchell into things having not played or practiced all that much and using Wilcox to cover for him.

I was disappointed that Hargrave only had 25 snaps on defense. Damn. 66 total snaps on defense and you only play 38% of the time? He is without a doubt our best interior pass rusher. If Hargrave were on a 4-3 team and playing that Warren Sapp Under Tackle, 3 Tech role, he would probably be a double digit sack man. He could be an Aaron Donald or Geno Atkins type of player in the right defense molded to him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 am 

Quote:
@steelers
We have added LB L.J. Fort to our Practice Squad and released LB Matt Galambos. https://twitter.com/steelers/statuses/9 ... 3854639105

That's too bad. I like Galambos. Thought he was worth developing for ILB depth.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:35 am 

Good to hear he was added back to the PS.
I think Fort has a nose for the ball and good football instincts.

Dirty Red is a pretty good ST player......but I think Fort would be an upgrade over Red as an ILB or at least back-up ILB.

Have we not seen Dirty Red get trucked a few times by players running it into the endzone. Kiser the latest example on Sunday.
And it was not like Kizer had much of a running start.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:44 am 

I suspect that Fort will be back because Johnson hasn't exactly been an Iron Man in terms of staying healthy. I think that 4th ILB position will be one that is ever changing as the season unfolds.

What really sucks for me is that Art Moats played all of 4 snaps on defense and just 1 snap on special teams. Chickillo played almost 94% of the snaps on defense and 19 snaps (80%) on special teams. If Dupree is healthy and playing and starting alongside Watt with Chickillo and Harrison as the backups, Moats roster spot is really wasted. You are going to keep a 5th OLB active on game day who only plays 1 snap on special teams? I would rather they went with keeping both Johnson and Fort and cutting Moats.