It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re-watch Offense
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:04 pm 

This is without all 22 so some guessing and assuming. If others saw differently please feel free to correct amateur hour.

1st Series:
Holds killed this series. Thought first hold call on Ju Ju was ticky tacky. That put them in a hole then McDonald dug it deeper with a bad hold.

2nd Series: sloppy. 1st D: Ben made a bad throw to Bryant on drag route nearly led to Int. 3rd Down: Found James for conversion then of course silly pen on 1st down. 1st D: Ben and Bell not on same page 2nd and 15 hole. Bell run for not much and on 3rd down McDonald drops short gain. Is Haley at fault here? Perhaps should've run ball more Browns had safeties in different zip code. Browns it seems were petrified of Bryant and Brown deep. May explain why Brown had so much room underneath.

3rd Series: got first down on hold I didn't see. 1st D: Nice play to Rogers to set up a 2nd and short. 2nd D: Then the WTF. Why try for a 3 yard gain on 2nd down? If you want to throw take a shot and if Browns put safeties in next zip code? Fucking run Bell get first and move on. On that play meh throw by Ben yes it was a tough throw to a fairly well covered Bell but still should've been executed better. 3rd down and short Browns penetrated and blew play up. Again this had far more to do with Steelers rust and poor execution than anything Browns did.

4th Series: 1st D: AB makes nice play for a first down. 1st D: James nice catch for short gain. 2nd D: Bryant did look ponderous on this throw, however, Browns blew up blocking and he had nowhere to go. On 3rd down thought Ben should've put more into throw but great PD by Browns DB.

5th Series: 1st D: wow that call on Bell for "illegal peel back block" was utter garbage. Nix blocked low initially, Brown's player came off Block and Bell engaged him with Nix on ground not in play. If I have this right after Brown player beats Nix poor attempt to cut him and is no longer in contact with Nix to avoid a pen Bell can't touch him? The that wasn't fair you should let Browns sack Ben call? Truly an abysmal penalty.

Shame as it was nice play to AB ruined and btw Bryant had gotten behind the D. Bell made man miss on 2nd down for short gain and on 3rd down Steelers got a bit fortunate: deflected pass got to AB who of course AB'd. Next 2 plays Browns sat way deep with CB cushions Ben could've gone to AB or Bryant both wide open underneath.

He went to AB can't blame him. AB promptly moved Steelers into red zone. 1st D: Ben on throw away had Bryant for easy 4 or 5 and if breaks a tackle who knows. Not sure why he didn't dump it down. 2nd D: Nice run with Bell might have scored but Brown player in pursuit made a good hit.

3rd D: TD to James. Superb throw by Ben into a small window. That window opened up because Bell leaked out underneath and of course Browns went to him likes Bees to honey.

5th Series: 1st D: Ben bad throw or Bell bad route? Tough to tell but again shows why pre-season reps are at least important in sense of executing simple plays. 2nd D: Yes Villy got beat on sack but man Ben had Rogers wide open on crosser for easy 1st and a bunch more. 3rd D: Wow Browns were playing off Bryant. DB gave him a 15 yard cushion and Bryant still got past him. Yes it was only a step but if Ben puts more air under that ball gives Bryant a chance to make a play.

6th Series: 1st D: finally! I have no idea why Steelers didn't run this play a ton more: Bryant again huge cushion fakes deep and comes back makes good catch on good throw. Steelers could've done this with AB and Bryant all damn day. Yep Haley deserves blame for that. 1st D: Bell short gain shame he didn't cut back had a ton of room.

2nd D: On DPI I've seen worse not called but Brown had 1/2 a step and yes Taylor was arm barring him so much as Brownies whined it likely prevented a TD. BTW Bryant attracted a crowd on other side which left AB in single coverage.

1st D: Nice play on move by Ben and Bell. 1st n goal: Bell had a crease but late Brown blitzer took it away and led to a short gain. 2nd D: Much better run: Bell nice job and got inside 2 yard line crappy spot by Refs.

3rd D: Great call on TD Ben and James made a really nice play. Bryant was also wide open on goaline.

7th Series: set up by Watt Int. 1st D: James short gain. Ben quick throw but had time and Rogers sat down in zone wide open beyond the sticks. Also Bryant again streaking down field open. Offense is not on same page at all. It was as if AB and Ben aside all skill players were on different play calls. 2nd D: Nice run by Conner. Ben to AB for easy first on 3rd down. Browns were playing Bryant with cushions even Lebeau would chafe at.

1st D: Conner with shortish gain would have been far more had Bryant sealed his guy. 2nd D: AB worked open again both he and Bryant had huge cushions. Bryant went deep and opened up space for AB to find hole and Ben made good throw.

1st D: Conner tried to Bell. Conner needs to one cut and go. He had room to outside Gilbert had his guy sealed and Conner had a solid 4-5 and maybe more if he breaks tackle. He tried to dance and and go inside and ended up with fuck all. 2nd D: Batted down pass a good play by Browns.

3rd D: Int all Ben. He eyed Bryant entire time and even though Bryant had a step on DB he had safety and LBer deep just behind him. It was a poor decision by Ben to throw into what amounted to triple coverage. If he throws ball higher 2 deep Browns come into play. He had nowhere to put that ball. Meanwhile Ju Ju had his man beat on outside, Bell was open underneath for an easy first on dump off and ton more. What made that decision worse was game situation: in FG range with chance to put game beyond Browns. BTW Ju Ju nice hustle play to make tackle on return.

8th Series: 1st D: sigh...run Bell for no gain when Browns bring 8 in box and blitz 9th player but don't run with Browns safeties in next county and 6 in box...frustrating. 2nd: Decent gain on slant but AB had single coverage why not let him go deep and take a shot? Browns again had 8 in box to stop run. 3rd D: Good throw, good coverage, AB...just wants it, takes it and makes play for 1st down.

1st D: Nice run by Bell, well blocked but...Ju Ju called for what again seemed a really ticky tacky hold. Yes he got hands on blitzing DB but DB fell over, Ju Ju didn't tackle him he merely helped him on his way. Refs had an absolute shocker. Of course this ruined drive. 1st D: Ben throws ball behind Bell who juggles ball loses his balance and stops any chance of positive play. 2nd D: Great throw by Ben and Rogers has to make that catch. Yes Browns DB makes nice play but part of being a good slot is making contested catches. Again frustrating.

3rd D:oh look a draw play that a blind man lost in Andes Mountains in a snow storm could see coming. I get it with double digit lead but man at least try a different formation to be less obvious.

9th Series: 1st D: Browns blitz: Ben dump off to James made a nice play. 2nd D; Man refs worked to keep Browns in this game. Bell nice gain but ah yes the yellow to save Browns again. Pouncey called for hold. 2nd D: Ben and AB said Fuck You and made play of game. 1st D: Bell puts game away.

Units overall:

Oline: I'm going to go against the grain here: oline played well. They pass blocked to level we've come to expect and outside of one sack can anyone honestly remember Browns pressuring Ben that much? Yeah because they didn't despite constant blitzing. Run blocking wasn't as good but it also wasn't that bad. Some frankly BS hold calls made it seem much worse than it was.

RBs: Bell was rusty but looked his normal self when he was on same page as offense. Conner looked fine with exception of one run he badly missed on.

WRs: AB had a monster game. Bryant didn't but it wasn't because he lacked speed or explosion he simply didn't get ball thrown his way and did to be fair to him get open a bunch. Browns paid Bryant a ton of respect with coverage (cushion and safety over the top entire game). Rogers was ok but nothing special I was disappointed. He was open a few times and Ben missed him but has to make that catch over the middle. Ju Ju 2 x pens can't happen. Both put Steelers in a hole. He wasn't targeted but on Int had his man clearly beat and was open.

Ben: by his standards a meh game. Yes he made some superb throws especially to James and throw on a postage stamp to AB for game sealer but he missed open guys and made a terrible decision on Int. He makes a simple dump to Bell and Steelers despite obvious sloppiness win this game by 3 scores. He got tunnel vision on Bryant and forced a play that was never on.

Last edited by steelclan on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Re-watch Offense
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:43 pm 

Nice recap Clan.
Thanks for the work and summary.

The offensive, offensive game plan, strategy and in game play calling will almost always put this team at a disadvantage long before kickoff.

Combine that with the 2 series and 7 total preseason passes for Ben and the first team offense and it's no surprise that the offense was outscired 14 points to 18 by a rookie led offense.

When Ben said it's gonna be a "wait and see offense".....that tells me they did not do enough in preseason to get ready for this season.

"Wait and see" is he kidding me.
Unacceptable comments and thought process for a team with a HOF qb. All pro RB. HOF wr. Top 5 OL.... and many other very good parts .

Wait and see how rusty my throws are?

I thought I read or heard Tomlin or Ben say.... that Ben had every third day off during the preseason.
That knowing he and Bryant needed to get extra work. New kid in JJSS. Working in new backs in
Connors and Watson.

That statement tells me Ben is also ok with using the the first quarter of the season to get the offense in Gear. I beleive this has been Tomlins thought process over the years as well.

Yesterday was par for the course as we have seen this offensive performance 4-5 times a year. We are lucky we got the blocked punt TD.

We know we don't script plays.
No one in their right mind would start a season / game like that....not to mention counting on a rookie WR and new to team TE to be asked to execute these difficult blocking assignments in wide open spaces.
But 4 in a row?

Then of course the 2nd and 1 empty sets.
Madness. Madness that has become the staple of stupidity for team Tomlin.
It eliminates any possibility of run.
Takes ALL of the run / pass guessing out of the defenders head. Eliminates a great PA down and distance possibility. Eliminates a 2 yard first down run By Bell to move the chains and keep momentum. He almost always gains a yard...especially in those spots.

2nd and 15 draws...nothing new.

Then the following 3rd and 1 heavy set with 9 i. Box. Ben pauses. Scans the field. Audibles and hands off into 9 men in the box. Stupit is that stupit does. This team plays dumb football top to bottom.

And again....empty sets from the 5 yard line.
Bailed out with a nice but dangerous play...short of the goal line pass to JJ.

Short of the sticks is a staple of this offensive passing game.

Again. No PA passing. No misdirection.
No element of surprise. No roll out passes. There is no fooling defenses. Not real football I guess.

I don't recall one counter left with TE and Decastro pulling and leading...along with Rosie here and there. My son's favorite run play. Called for it all day.

Anyway. This team has to outscore opposing offenses . This team can't count on getting quick defensive points.

I've been saying for years...this team loses more games Wednesday thru Saturday than any top team in football. Long before kickoff.

I expect a much better game plan. Play calling and execution on Sunday.

Last edited by Stosh-67 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:50 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
When Ben said it's gonna be a "wait and see offense".....that tells me they did not do enough in preseason to get ready for this season.

I think Ben selects comments from a list of cliches prepared for him by Tomlin. Lot of things I think Ben says are just empty noise, said only to satisfy a reported wanting a comment.

Ben has had said he believes an arm only has so many throws in it in a lifetime. So he doesn't work throw much in the offseason (which was not true in his earlier days). Then he supposedly had every third day off, but there were reports he was throwing 200 balls a day. Reports he did a lot of throwing out in warm-ups of those preseason games.

If you read between the lines, you might say Bell is such a big focus of this offense that they all kind of took preseason off because of his holdout. And so, yeah, CLE was a preseason game and you get what we saw.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:09 pm 

Good posts Clan and Stosh.

Do any posters here get that All 22 coaches film on a weekly basis?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:19 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Nice recap Clan.
Thanks for the work and summary.

The offensive, offensive game plan, strategy and in game play calling will almost always put this team at a disadvantage long before kickoff.

Combine that with the 2 series and 7 total preseason passes for Ben and the first team offense and it's no surprise that the offense was outscired 14 points to 18 by a rookie led offense.

"Wait and see" is he kidding me.
Unacceptable comments and thought process for a team with a HOF qb. All pro RB. HOF wr. Top 5 OL.... and many other very good parts .

Wait and see how rusty my throws are?

I thought I read or heard Tomlin or Ben say.... that Ben had every third day off during the preseason.
That knowing he and Bryant needed to get extra work. New kid in JJSS. Working in new backs in
Connors and Watson.

That statement tells me Ben is also ok with using the the first quarter of the season to get the offense in Gear. I beleive this has been Tomlins thought process over the years as well.

Yesterday was par for the course as we have seen this offensive performance 4-5 times a year. We are lucky we got the blocked punt TD.

We know we don't script plays.
No one in their right mind would start a season / game like that....not to mention counting on a rookie WR and new to team TE to be asked to execute these difficult blocking assignments in wide open spaces.
But 4 in a row?

Then of course the 2nd and 1 empty sets.
Madness. Madness that has become the staple of stupidity for team Tomlin.
It eliminates any possibility of run.
Takes ALL of the run / pass guessing out of the defenders head. Eliminates a great PA down and distance possibility. Eliminates a 2 yard first down run By Bell to move the chains and keep momentum. He almost always gains a yard...especially in those spots.

2nd and 15 draws...nothing new.

Then the following 3rd and 1 heavy set with 9 i. Box. Ben pauses. Scans the field. Audibles and hands off into 9 men in the box. Stupit is that stupit does. This team plays dumb football top to bottom.

And again....empty sets from the 5 yard line.
Bailed out with a nice but dangerous play...short of the goal line pass to JJ.

Short of the sticks is a staple of this offensive passing game.

Again. No PA passing. No misdirection.
No element of surprise. No roll out passes. There is no fooling defenses. Not real football I guess.

I don't recall one counter left with TE and Decastro pulling and leading...along with Rosie here and there. My son's favorite run play. Called for it all day.

Anyway. This team has to outscore opposing offenses . This team can't count on getting quick defensive points.

I've been saying for years...this team loses more games Wednesday thru Saturday than any top team in football. Long before kickoff.

I expect a much better game plan. Play calling and execution on Sunday.

Hammered down that nail pretty effectively Stosh. Correct all around.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:14 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
Good posts Clan and Stosh.

Do any posters here get that All 22 coaches film on a weekly basis?

I do. It is simple to get. £189. Just set up your DNS for Ireland, then go to NFLGamePass. You can do the season for £20 a week as well.

I Tried to use DAZN to watch the Steelers, but could not get by the Canadian credit card requirement for payment.

Missed yesterday’s game trying to work through all the madness of payments and had to listen on Sirius. iTunes has cracked down on gift cards being used to fill your account(I have a US account and British account), I believe I used gift cards to transfer funds between accounts or switched my billing address to England.

Finally got it to work going old school with an actual Windows computer. The NFL takes any old credit card via PC. They just want it to look like your internet connection is from Ireland or Europe. Apple and DAZN thinks everyone is the next Bin Laden

Now I have the £189 pound pro package with coaches film, all teams, and all live games every week, NFL Red zone, NFL Network and all game archives. Great deal I believe; right on my iPhone, iPad and AppleTV or PC. Absolutely refuse to do Directv even though I subscribe to DirectvNow.

Some how all the IOS apps work or sync this year. They have not in previous years. Would work on the iPhone or iPad, but not ATV. Now all 3 work perfectly in HD.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:27 pm 

Start the game with four straight screen passes. Just fuckin' dumb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:31 pm 

I was curious seen part of ben going to the sidelines and yelling at Tomlin and Haley did anyone else seen that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:40 pm 

Anyone here subscribe to DKSports?

I'd love to see the Ben rant at Tomlin and Haley.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:43 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Start the game with four straight screen passes. Just fuckin' dumb

after browns recive ko..defense just kills them...they go to punt..we block it into endzone..holy fuck...im like what team am I watching here??!!!! great special teams; a smothering defense.. steelers get ball finally.. 4 fucking shit screens. I say theres the steelers I know!!!! many more screens to follow..and penalties!! and shit play calls as mentioned above. how infuriating are the empty back fields with short yardage situations; with a dynamic back not involved as a run threat or decoy.?? then with ball game in balance all world bengi heaves up a duck hoping for a brown miracle. luckily he delivers.. a better option? get the short yardage 1st down idiot.. I left the bar as mad as a loss..tho ill be happy with this win later. such stupid play all day..
1st game tho and peeking to soon is a curse!

Last edited by bam morris on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next