It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Re-watch Offense
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:39 pm 

steelclan wrote:
I have all 22 as well and Ben made an awful play on that 3rd and 9. If Ben takes a split second to look to his right he would see Ju Ju streaking by his man with safety leaning towards Bryant. All he had to do is throw ball towards sideline into acres of space in end zone for Ju Ju to run under. If not that then Bell wide open underneath running away from Lber with 20 plus yards of green grass in front of him. Instead he threw into teeth of coverage where both Bryant and AB attracted double & in Bryant's case triple team. I get frustration over screens etc but it is plays like this that put bad teams away and have to be made. AB & Bryant did their jobs by opening up the entire right side of the field Ben has to know this and take advantage of it. Instead Steelers let Browns back in the game.

As to the universal criticism of Haley. Yes he deserves a huge chunk, however, we have a veteran play caller who can change plays. He has that option and we cannot run around screaming at the coaches all day when it is obvious to all of us a simple change in play call is needed. That 2nd 1 situation with crap pass to Bell and piss poor 3rd n 1 conversion was right out of the Bruce Arians play book who btw threw a ton of WR screens and hot routes that used to get people so steamed it was comical. Yet now some of the very same posters think Arians walks on water. Funny how that works.

Good post & points. I don't take the time to scrub film but did notice in a few occasions Sunday where we had a wide open option yet Ben was locked-in looking only where he wanted to look.

Seems when the offense is struggling is when his tunnel vision rears its ugly head. Would the offense struggle so as much if he would find these wide open receivers? Likely not.

Seems to that he will ignore players he doesn't trust at these times as well. Maybe the vet Hunter should have gotten the nod over JuJu. Maybe that would not have mattered either.

And while I don't place the MOST blame at Ben's feet, I have felt he has had his hand in the mix with some real stinker games & decisions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:48 pm 

955876 wrote:
steelclan wrote:
I have all 22 as well and Ben made an awful play on that 3rd and 9. If Ben takes a split second to look to his right he would see Ju Ju streaking by his man with safety leaning towards Bryant. All he had to do is throw ball towards sideline into acres of space in end zone for Ju Ju to run under. If not that then Bell wide open underneath running away from Lber with 20 plus yards of green grass in front of him. Instead he threw into teeth of coverage where both Bryant and AB attracted double & in Bryant's case triple team. I get frustration over screens etc but it is plays like this that put bad teams away and have to be made. AB & Bryant did their jobs by opening up the entire right side of the field Ben has to know this and take advantage of it. Instead Steelers let Browns back in the game.

As to the universal criticism of Haley. Yes he deserves a huge chunk, however, we have a veteran play caller who can change plays. He has that option and we cannot run around screaming at the coaches all day when it is obvious to all of us a simple change in play call is needed. That 2nd 1 situation with crap pass to Bell and piss poor 3rd n 1 conversion was right out of the Bruce Arians play book who btw threw a ton of WR screens and hot routes that used to get people so steamed it was comical. Yet now some of the very same posters think Arians walks on water. Funny how that works.

Good post & points. I don't take the time to scrub film but did notice in a few occasions Sunday where we had a wide open option yet Ben was locked-in looking only where he wanted to look.

Seems when the offense is struggling is when his tunnel vision rears its ugly head. Would the offense struggle so as much if he would find these wide open receivers? Likely not.

Seems to that he will ignore players he doesn't trust at these times as well. Maybe the vet Hunter should have gotten the nod over JuJu. Maybe that would not have mattered either.

And while I don't place the MOST blame at Ben's feet, I have felt he has had his hand in the mix with some real stinker games & decisions.

Fair cop and given success of that play scheme rather than execution wise it is a shame Steelers didn't run that more. AB & Bryant had entire Browns D following them like a creepy stalker on speed. If this offense wants to be what it can be Steelers have to take advantage of teams willing to put just about half their defense into stopping Bryant/AB. I like DHB as a teamer but not as WR rather add in Hunter's ability to run 9s/posts and it create even more space. Steelers had a rookie safety ready to bite on just about anything and did very little to test him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:37 pm 

steelclan wrote:

Ben can only change from certain called plays to certain audibles, especially when the play comes in late. The most likely is a change between an interior run play and a different run play or interior run play and outside screen. There is an occasional opportunity for a WR running a check with me route on a run play. Very difficult with 10-12 seconds on play clock to change formation and give routes to all the receivers, which is what it would be to switch from, say a WR screen to smash combo on one side and double post on the other. I think the adjustments at the line are generally small ones in this offense. They probably have a handful of go-to audible options for Ben.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:48 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
955876 wrote:
So 3TD catches a game instead of just two?

I hear what you are saying but geeesh, James hauled in two TDs Sunday.

With his size, he's a decent RZ target and hasn't shown to have poor hands.

What we need is better and more consistent playcalling.

He's just very limited in what he can do to get open and doesn't attract attention or concern from the D.

+100....Just in terms of passing. I have not watched him enough in blocking situations, but suspect his build can’t make him that dominant.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:54 pm 

James blocked ok he struggles whenever he has to block someone in space. It is one many reasons the screen love affair is so puzzling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:33 pm 

steelclan wrote:

Troof bomb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:40 am 

Y-Town Steel wrote:
steelclan wrote:

Troof bomb

Ben's best games are when he uses everybody...when eight different guys catch passes.

I'm going to harp on this until I'm blue in the face. Maybe he oughtn't have had only two series of work and every third day off in preseason.

We can't wait four weeks for him to build trust in JuJu and Eli while he forces every other pass to Antonio and Martavis.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:19 am 

I for one am ready to stop fretting over the browns win and take on the Vikings

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:58 am 

it's still yggy wrote:

What?!?!? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:12 am 

it's still yggy wrote:

Nope, the steelerfury.com board is still working on the book titled "What Happened" in reference to why the win over Cleveland was not as certain as expected.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next