It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Most surprising issue of the day?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:59 pm 

SP wrote:
I'm still trying to decipher Todd Haley's decision to counter two deep Safetys by going empty back field and throwing instead of running the football behind a $100 million o line and All Pro RB.

The two safeties were back, but the other 9 guys were in the box and or mugging the receivers. The counter to that D is attacking the intermediate middle of the field-- Todd Haley doesn't know that part of the stadium exists and, even if he did, our interior receivers couldn't beat press coverage if their lives depended on it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:04 pm 

I'm happy with the win and haven't read many of the comments, but is anyone talking about Ben NOT being very accurate with his short to intermediate passes? It's been a problem for a few years it seems. I'm getting tired of seeing rookie (not to mention below average ones) having little problem placing those types of passes where they need to be most of the time when Ben is below the line a lot of the time. I'm starting to get tired of giving him a pass...no pun intended.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:05 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
R S wrote:
Todd toiled for months with late night brainstorming and calculations to come up with the perfect script of plays to open up the season.....4 straight wide receiver screens......He is the greatest mind of our era.

RS, I agree.

TH starting the game with 4....yes 4 bubble screens in a row has to be the least imaginative, suprising, bunch of bs you will ever see to start a game, even from him.

to be fair, the next set of plays were a pass 2 yds down field, two runs up the gut, another WR screen, and another 1 yd downfield pass, two of which were negated by penalty.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:07 pm 

DP39 wrote:
I'm happy with the win and haven't read many of the comments, but is anyone talking about Ben NOT being very accurate with his short to intermediate passes? It's been a problem for a few years it seems. I'm getting tired of seeing rookie (not to mention below average ones) having little problem placing those types of passes where they need to be most of the time when Ben is below the line a lot of the time. I'm starting to get tired of giving him a pass...no pun intended.

Ben's road struggles almost always seem to be because they open the games with the "clenched asshole offense" where they're terrified to do anything that might lead to a mistake. In games when they let Ben sling the ball early he doesn't seem to have those accuracy issues. It's almost as if when asking Ben to go against his instincts and get rid of the ball quickly that he needs to get into a rhythm to keep his mechanics from betraying him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:09 pm 

DP39 wrote:

we can argue about the reasons for this (OL getting walked backwards into the throwing lanes, for instance) but can you imagine taking just about the best intermediate zone thrower in the history of the game and building an offense that forces him to make throws that he is the least good at?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:11 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
The first offensive series still has me red.

I was disgusted. So was the guy on my left at the Steelers sports bar.

I can't stand chickenshit coaching. Haley waved the white flag on that first series when it became 1st and 18 from our own 18.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:19 pm 

How many times was Ben under center today? Is that part of some deal he's worked out with the coaching staff? He'll give 'em three more years, but only if he doesn't have to expend the energy in bending over for a snap and doing a dropback? There was no balance to the offense, no surprise, and when the execution was as bas as it was today, you're going to get what you saw on the field.

Martavis Bryant must be in his softer, post-rehab, self-discovery stage. He has played like a scared bitch the entire preseason and today. I miss the Alien.

A lot of the guys who either didn't play or didn't play much during the preseason looked off. Ben was off on several throws, especially early on, Maurkice Pouncey got his ass kicked pretty much any time we tried to run the ball, Bell was far from his usual self. AB didn't play much during the preseason but, well, he's AB. He doesn't figure into the equation.

Jesse James juked a guy and forced a miss tackle. A career first.

I bet Tomlin pokes and prods at Bell all next week. "Hey Lev, you still got it?" "Hey Lev, you know ankle weights are just for training, not for games." "Hey Lev, you see what Skip Bayless said about you this morning?" All said with a cocksure smile. I'm looking forward to a pissed off, highly motivated Bell next Sunday.

The Tuitt injury is a bummer, but thankfully Alualu is damn solid. We can be fine with him, Heyward, and the Gravedigger. The rest of that group needs to stay healthy though.

They didn't move any bodies up front today, but I'm thankful for the line we've got. I'll take pockets like what we had today all season. Watching Wilson and Rodgers scramble for their lives every other play today made me especially grateful for the group we've got and Munchak at the helm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:33 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
DP39 wrote:

we can argue about the reasons for this (OL getting walked backwards into the throwing lanes, for instance) but can you imagine taking just about the best intermediate zone thrower in the history of the game and building an offense that forces him to make throws that he is the least good at?

My guess is the all 22 would show that much of the time on passes within 10 yards of the LOS that Ben is below the line on, is just that...on Ben. I like how he said during camp he likes to make off target throws to his receivers so he can test/improve their catch radius, but I personally think he's masking his f ups a lot of the time. I'm tired of a dump off pass to the RB in the flat where he's open but Ben puts the ball behind him and he has to twist or spin just to make the catch slowing him down to get up field faster which causes him to get tackled earlier. Or hitting a wide open TE crossing the short middle Behind his back shoulder where he has to fight just to make the catch thus slowing him down to run after the fluidly. Elite QBs make those passes in their sleep. I'm ok with occasional mistake, but Ben has many more than other elite QBs imo. I'm a huge Ben fan, but also refuse to where Ben/homer glasses. Just be clear, I'm talking about those passes where it's fairly obvious to the eye that nothing from the D side of the ball is causing those less than accurate throws.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:38 am 
Steelersfan wrote:
Pick your favorite/worrisome/suprising issue of the day and discuss.

1-The "elephant in the room"; M Bryant being non-existent and not looking like our offensive saviour.
2-McDonald TE dropping a one and only perfect pass.
3-OC Todd's insistence on plays short of the sticks.
4- OC Todd's draw for a yard on 3rd and 25.
5-Bengals scoring, nadda, zilch, nothing, zero.
6-Bengals little RED tossing 4 picks.
7-Ravens "D" holding the Bengals to Zero.
8-Almost forgot, Todd's """20""", three yard screens to start the game.
9-Ben being Cleveland's all time winning QB.
10-The Browns finally finding a QB after 27 tries.

Mine has to be Bryant. I'm gonna give him another game or two, but he certainly didn't seem to to be the offensive saviour or to even make a small case for getting rid of Coates or Ayers being a good move. It better be a bad case of rust, because it wasn't very pretty.

I think most of those other things will take care of themselves to a large degree. The fact is as Haley goes hostory has shown hes capable of much worse.

This team has ZERO shot at a Lombardi as long as hes in Pittsburgh without literally lightninig in a bottle luck.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:47 am 
bradshaw2ben wrote:
DP39 wrote:

Exactly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next