It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Most surprising issue of the day?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:40 am 

The most surprising issue was that the game turned on and was decided by splash plays by three melanin-deficient linebackers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:41 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
DP39 wrote:
I'm happy with the win and haven't read many of the comments, but is anyone talking about Ben NOT being very accurate with his short to intermediate passes? It's been a problem for a few years it seems. I'm getting tired of seeing rookie (not to mention below average ones) having little problem placing those types of passes where they need to be most of the time when Ben is below the line a lot of the time. I'm starting to get tired of giving him a pass...no pun intended.

we can argue about the reasons for this (OL getting walked backwards into the throwing lanes, for instance) but can you imagine taking just about the best intermediate zone thrower in the history of the game and building an offense that forces him to make throws that he is the least good at?

Whatever.

Ben is a HoF'er.

He can make the goddam throws.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:52 am 

Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
DP39 wrote:
I'm happy with the win and haven't read many of the comments, but is anyone talking about Ben NOT being very accurate with his short to intermediate passes? It's been a problem for a few years it seems. I'm getting tired of seeing rookie (not to mention below average ones) having little problem placing those types of passes where they need to be most of the time when Ben is below the line a lot of the time. I'm starting to get tired of giving him a pass...no pun intended.

we can argue about the reasons for this (OL getting walked backwards into the throwing lanes, for instance) but can you imagine taking just about the best intermediate zone thrower in the history of the game and building an offense that forces him to make throws that he is the least good at?

Whatever.

Ben is a HoF'er.

This is what is so fkn maddening with this horizontal shit, that and that along with the running game every defender is pulled up tight and close to the line of scrimmage and we continue to do what we do. FFS.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:54 am 

GreekSteel wrote:

This is what is so fkn maddening with this horizontal shit, that and that along with the running game every defender is pulled up tight and close to the line of scrimmage and we continue to do what we do. FFS.

To add onto that- Ben is a better down the field thrower (probably the best of his generation) than a horizontal one. I just don't get it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:06 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
DP39 wrote:

Whatever.

Ben is a HoF'er.

You are correct, Ben is a HOF. The thing that amazes me is he is below the line on passes that make up more and more of todays' NFL football passing game. Those short passes to RB/TE/WRs when much of the time little is in the way from point A (Ben's hand) to point B (receiver's catch point). A lot of those passes are 2-4 feet off target (point C), which in turn delays the receiver 1/2 of a second or so. With the speed of today's game 1/2 of a second is the difference of a very successful play and unsuccessful play.

Go back and watch the plays (I have), they are there and the effects of Ben hitting point C are making those plays less successful. Weird thing is, those passes should be the easiest to throw and to practice/perfect. I sometimes wonder if Ben doesn't work very hard on this aspect of the game. And, I'm not talking about 15-20 passes a game, more like 4-8 passes most games. I don't expect 100% perfection on the throws I'm taking about, but I do expect my eyes to see what I see from the other elite or top tier QBs. And sorry, but it's not there. The eye in the sky doesn't lie.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:09 pm 

We are just easing into the offense guys. Nothing to see here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:50 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
SP wrote:
I'm still trying to decipher Todd Haley's decision to counter two deep Safetys by going empty back field and throwing instead of running the football behind a $100 million o line and All Pro RB.

The two safeties were back, but the other 9 guys were in the box and or mugging the receivers. The counter to that D is attacking the intermediate middle of the field-- Todd Haley doesn't know that part of the stadium exists and, even if he did, our interior receivers couldn't beat press coverage if their lives depended on it.

Not sure why Hunter wasn't even allowed to dress.

Takin it a step further (and I realize he has some issues with his hands and was given up on) but would it not have been nice to line up guys like Bryant & Coates on the same side?

Seems that's some size and lots of speed for a defense to account for. They won't catch them all but will catch enough that resources will need to be allocated to cover the two.

Frees up Brown, Bell, and whoever is playing TE quite a bit.

Coates traded and Hunter in sweats while Rodgers is invisible and DHB continues to be well, DHB.

I'm giving Bryant a pass given his long layoff.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:15 pm 

955876 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
SP wrote:
I'm still trying to decipher Todd Haley's decision to counter two deep Safetys by going empty back field and throwing instead of running the football behind a $100 million o line and All Pro RB.

The two safeties were back, but the other 9 guys were in the box and or mugging the receivers. The counter to that D is attacking the intermediate middle of the field-- Todd Haley doesn't know that part of the stadium exists and, even if he did, our interior receivers couldn't beat press coverage if their lives depended on it.

Not sure why Hunter wasn't even allowed to dress.

Takin it a step further (and I realize he has some issues with his hands and was given up on) but would it not have been nice to line up guys like Bryant & Coates on the same side?

Seems that's some size and lots of speed for a defense to account for. They won't catch them all but will catch enough that resources will need to be allocated to cover the two.

Frees up Brown, Bell, and whoever is playing TE quite a bit.

Coates traded and Hunter in sweats while Rodgers is invisible and DHB continues to be well, DHB.

I'm giving Bryant a pass given his long layoff.

Hunter not dressing blew my mind away.

Why the fuck not? We traded away Coates and lost Ayers to keep him.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:25 pm 

StillerDownSouth wrote:
SP wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Whats wrong with running an offense like KC or Dallas. Its ok to still run the ball when you have the horses to do it. Play action is still a non factor in our offense. But of course everyone bitched last year when we played in cleveland and ran it down their throat all game cause haley never got ben jn a rythem.

Wait a second you do realize Ben has RPO on all those plays? I'm not saying I liked the calls but is Haley truly to blame for all of them? None of us know that. I have far bigger issues with some other calls: running Bell with Browns showing 8 in the box and blitzing a 9th. Running a slant when AB has single coverage on the outside. Not testing Browns enough over middle of the field in cover 2 looks with huge spaces available.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:40 pm 

The rpos and s essentially the choice between running to a stacked box inside or running an extension of the run game as a screen outside. They're both runs, for practical purposes. What we don't do is switch from a run look to challenging those extra LBs and box safeties with seam routes and digs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next