It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Most surprising issue of the day?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:49 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
The rpos and s essentially the choice between running to a stacked box inside or running an extension of the run game as a screen outside. They're both runs, for practical purposes. What we don't do is switch from a run look to challenging those extra LBs and box safeties with seam routes and digs

Fair enough but when you say seam route that has to be based on an initial post or fly route as far off as Browns DBs were playing that still isn't easy. I see your point far more with some drag/dig routes. Again I didn't like the initial set up and not all the calls where made when Browns loaded the box many where made with Brown's safeties in a different football stadium and CBs giving up big cushions. Honestly the biggest issue was piss poor blocking by WRs and TEs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:19 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Hunter not dressing blew my mind away.

Why the fuck not? We traded away Coates and lost Ayers to keep him.

Well, I think Ayers is a complete JAG.

Hunter, we discussed - the Steelers rarely cut a FA vet they signed unless he's absolutely below the line.
Coates is the only one of the three that had trade value.

I think Hunter has some ability. Not dressing him concerns me that they have no desire to run 4-5wide much, at all. The couple times a game they might they are content to throw ST extraordinaire DHB into the mix (who, by the way, allegedly can't outrun Haden any more).

We'll see, but I think 95% of the time they run some combination of 3 WR, 2 TE and Bell (possibly with a FB). I think 4-5wide looks are buried at the back of the playbook and forgotten.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:59 pm 

steelclan wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
The rpos and s essentially the choice between running to a stacked box inside or running an extension of the run game as a screen outside. They're both runs, for practical purposes. What we don't do is switch from a run look to challenging those extra LBs and box safeties with seam routes and digs

Fair enough but when you say seam route that has to be based on an initial post or fly route as far off as Browns DBs were playing that still isn't easy. I see your point far more with some drag/dig routes. Again I didn't like the initial set up and not all the calls where made when Browns loaded the box many where made with Brown's safeties in a different football stadium and CBs giving up big cushions. Honestly the biggest issue was piss poor blocking by WRs and TEs.

You can't run those screens three times a game let alone 7-10 if guys aren't blocking or can't execute. If your RPO is to a screen, I. And see taking your chances running into 8 in the box.

The intermediate routes-- that's where the money is for this team and every team... but not every team has a QB with the balls and arm to make those throws. The defense the Browns played was designed to mostly take the deep balls out of the game, while also mugging at the line and taking away short stuff, forcing WRs to block on run and screen plays. If we don't see a whole lot more of that, I'll be surprised. It is Todd Haley kryptonite at this point and has to frustrate the hell out of ,Ben, which leads to him forcing throws. It's been happening for 13+ years now.

Does anyone pay for DK sports? They had an article today about Ben coming to the sideline, pissed off and yelling.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:32 pm 

Not much run/pass option throwing bubble screens out of empty sets.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:34 pm 

SP wrote:
I'm still trying to decipher Todd Haley's decision to counter two deep Safetys by going empty back field and throwing instead of running the football behind a $100 million o line and All Pro RB.

He had a script and wouldn't deviate. I think they all expected Browns to come out and blitz like crazy.

Alternatively, we wanted to run the ball, but also punish Bell, so we used a screen, which serves the same purpose (and instead of running with Connor, tried to get it to our best play makers).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:05 am 

Steelersfan wrote:

Mine has to be Bryant. I'm gonna give him another game or two, but he certainly didn't seem to to be the offensive saviour or to even make a small case for getting rid of Coates or Ayers being a good move. It better be a bad case of rust, because it wasn't very pretty.

I don't know, man. Guy didn't play in a football game in what? 20 months? Besides that, he was never the most consistent player. I'm not surprised to see him put up 2 catches for 15 yards. I'm not surprised to see him catch 6 balls for 200.

Most surprising HAD to be playcalling to start the game. I don't think any of Haley's most vocal critics could've predicted THAT.

The reTodd offense. Same dumb shit over and over.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 am 

SP wrote:
I'm still trying to decipher Todd Haley's decision to counter two deep Safetys by going empty back field and throwing instead of running the football behind a $100 million o line and All Pro RB.

Forget about it. That's like trying to find the light switch in a padded round room...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:11 am 

steelclan wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

That's the thing: if you're going to run them out of the box, you need great blocking from 3 wides and TEs-- essentially they have 9 guys in the box. It also hurts that we don't have a single dynamic speed RB on the roster-- guys that can hit the hole quickly and can break through the 9 or even 10 guys on the LOS.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:12 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Not much run/pass option throwing bubble screens out of empty sets.

exactly-- your choices are run play or extension of the run game run play