It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The insanely BS delayed 45 seconds personal foul
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:06 am 

fortythree wrote:
alancac98 wrote:
Things are or should be easy for players - aim for the dick! But yes, the NFL needs to recognize that WR's dip their heads down and if that happens, no penalty should be called as they are bracing for the hit. Can't fault a CB or S for hitting a guys head if he drops his head by a foot. Gay's hit was too high. Yes the WR head dipped, but Gay could have gone lower on the hit with the same outcome. I know they like to hit the chest area to pop the ball out, but they risk a flag every time as undoubted the WR's head takes a small impact as well - which will be called nearly every time. It is what it is. I'm more frustrated with our guys who come in too high - like I said - aim for the dick!

There is no way that complicating things further for officials by saying it's not a penalty if the receiver ducks his head would work out for the best.

Yeah, I know. Ya just hope for the perfect scenario that guys aren't getting penalized for stupid stuff. The refs suck as it is so you can't dump more on them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:28 am 

Nobody here has played this game at the level these guys are...

there are times when the head is targeted... see Burfict's hit on Brown in the playoffs.

there are times where its a split second and the best way to separate the man from the ball, especially when he's juggling it, is to go through him.

It has to be near impossible to not have a head to head contact in some way - maybe not the first part of contact, but at some point, if you go through a guy with a running start.

I don't know if these guys can adjust, it's a fast game.

I guess just dive at everyone's knees, or get out of the league -because I can't imagine a guy letting someone catch a ball before trying to tackle them flatfooted a yard from a first down.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:32 am 

fortythree wrote:
alancac98 wrote:
Things are or should be easy for players - aim for the dick! But yes, the NFL needs to recognize that WR's dip their heads down and if that happens, no penalty should be called as they are bracing for the hit. Can't fault a CB or S for hitting a guys head if he drops his head by a foot. Gay's hit was too high. Yes the WR head dipped, but Gay could have gone lower on the hit with the same outcome. I know they like to hit the chest area to pop the ball out, but they risk a flag every time as undoubted the WR's head takes a small impact as well - which will be called nearly every time. It is what it is. I'm more frustrated with our guys who come in too high - like I said - aim for the dick!

There is no way that complicating things further for officials by saying it's not a penalty if the receiver ducks his head would work out for the best.

Right - if the goal is player safety (and it is), I'm not sure there is any way around this. You just can't hit a guy catching the ball high... at all. You are going to have to sacrifice the catch and learn to not contest catches with hits.

The NFL is run by lawyers - they see the writing on the wall... I don't think this is some scheme to give NFL officials power to alter games, I just think they are doing what they can to not get sued. Flagging hits like these is a way of doing it.

I just don't know how players adjust, I mean... just go after everyone's knees and be done with it.. because trying to go for any high hit whether it be to separate the ball or make the guy think twice about going over the middle is going to be a flag.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:33 am 

I have far more issue with PF on Watt. He hit his own player and was more of a love tap than a hit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:48 am 

The craziest and most hypocritical aspect of the this play is that at the end of the day, when the Red Zone channel was signing off, they show the best plays of the day and they ended their montage with THIS PLAY/HIT.

Not like we haven't seen it before from the league though - promote the illegal plays as long as they're big hits.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:54 am 

As the rules stand, it was a penalty, plain as day. Hate the rules if you want, but it was a penalty.

It was ridiculous that the referee waited until seeing the instant replay and hearing the crowd's reaction before throwing the flag. That was bush league. But it remained a penalty nonetheless.

Watt's late hit was a penalty as well, and a stupid one at that. Doesn't negate the fact that he had a great day. I chalk it up to being over eager in his NFL debut. There are worse things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:57 am 

steelclan wrote:
I have far more issue with PF on Watt. He hit his own player and was more of a love tap than a hit.

Agree Clan. Said it when it happened. He hit the Steelers player on top of the Browns player. Watt went to all fours and tapped his helmet/shoulder on the other Steelers players head/back when making slight contact, at best. It's getting bad. Obviously the refs have been told that even if your eyes tell you 99% that it's not a real penalty, if the involves a hit to the QB or WR they should still throw their flags anyway - even it take them 45 seconds to get it out.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:03 am 

Thing I don't like about that penalty is it seems to be a precedent for retroactively applying penalties. There was a ref 15 feet from that play and did not throw a flag. They threw that flag based on the replay.

I don't doubt this was close enough to helmet to helmet to get called. But it sets up the absurdity of penalties afforestation the fact. Can you get a holding call in 3q for a first Q play? Why not if the replay shows it was holding.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:27 am 

They clearly called this penalty off of the jumbotron.

That's a really, really bad precedent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:30 am 

SteelKnife wrote:
They clearly called this penalty off of the jumbotron.

That's a really, really bad precedent.

And fan reaction viewing the Jumbtron

Bullshit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next