It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: happy w/ win..Tomlin Haley you gotta do much fucking bet
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:13 pm 

The solace I take is that looking around the league, lots of good offenses really struggled today. Not playing starters in preseason does affect veteran teams like ours more. We will learn a lot more next week.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:24 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Did we complete 1 successful dig route (pass between the hashes and behind the lbers)? This offense for whatever reason doesn't threaten the whole deep middle. I just don't fuckin get it

They apparently practice it in camp but rarely if ever use it in games. The defense called today basically is an answer to Haley's U-shaped offense: everything near the line of scrimmage and horizontal, with occasional deep ball on quick sideline. They took away what steelers under Haley do 90% of the time and we refused to adjust. Crossing patterns. Dig routes. Intermiediate curls.

Didn't they basically just run a deep Cover-2?

Not really anything new or innovative....Haley's offense struggles with good DL that can pressure and stop the run. Every offense struggles with that, but PIT more so because of the reluctance to utilize the middle of the field. I mean, why do we employ a slot receiver if we really aren't going to use him?

I thought he showed some nice pressures and smaller blitzes. Again seemed designed to not so much go for the hone run sack but hurry ben up a bit.

He also crowded the line, sort of a run blitz, jam the lanes en route to the QB.

The vertical game is the right way to attack that but you need to have good protection and plus Haley I agree is averse to that.

Our offense could have probably jumped out some more even given how they played.

Thing I like about them I think is they were consistent. Our D always seems feast or famine. They had very few breakdowns and did a very good job containing all steelers skill talent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:28 pm 

stillenigma wrote:
The solace I take is that looking around the league, lots of good offenses really struggled today. Not playing starters in preseason does affect veteran teams like ours more. We will learn a lot more next week.

True on the rust factor , but did you see anything different regarding the structure of the offense? I didn't and that's what should be very concerning to everyone here. Same old shit from an unimaginative playcaller

If you're a DC in the league, are you at ALL frightened by this offense if you can just roll out a cover 2 and prevent the big plays?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:34 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
If you're a DC in the league, are you at ALL frightened by this offense if you can just roll out a cover 2 and prevent the big plays?

Well, it's not quite that simple. You have to have the DL to stop the run, or be able to run blitz on your way to the QB (and last year, unlike most of Ben's career, the OL stood up to that).

The concern is that any team with a good DL...Haley is just going to sit on his thumb.

I had hopes for Haley. I've defended him in the past. And I think he sometimes gets unfair criticism. But the guy is flat out mediocre on his best days.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:03 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
its more Tomlin than haley at this point for me...Tomlin has seen this movie over and over, as have we the fans...and all he does is enable the amateur golfer. If he doesn't like or agree with whats happening, change the plan or replace the OC.

Kinda where im at.

No way do I believe Tomlin has final say on OC DC player personnel or draft picks at this point. I gotta think he knows thats a less than optimal way to run a team but at the same time he kinda thinks hes up to the challenge of steering the Steelers in the right direction regardless

Yep, the "Company Man" or "Potted Plant" theory. Whatever your favorite moniker is.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:04 pm 

stillenigma wrote:

Did they struggle against defenses as bad as the Cleveland Browns?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:04 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Did we complete 1 successful dig route (pass between the hashes and behind the lbers)? This offense for whatever reason doesn't threaten the whole deep middle. I just don't fuckin get it

They apparently practice it in camp but rarely if ever use it in games. The defense called today basically is an answer to Haley's U-shaped offense: everything near the line of scrimmage and horizontal, with occasional deep ball on quick sideline. They took away what steelers under Haley do 90% of the time and we refused to adjust. Crossing patterns. Dig routes. Intermiediate curls.

One of the big plays called back was a deep crossing pattern.

We do go over the middle- just not very often.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

Last edited by Jeemie on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:05 pm 

It was three straight screens to start off the game, right? That's a special kind of stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:14 pm 

Obviously wrote:
It was three straight screens to start off the game, right? That's a special kind of stupid.

If the thought was that Browns were going to come out and show heat, it wasn't the worst idea. It was a problem that Ben didn't/couldn't audible out of the script when it was clear they weren't going to rush. Perhaps we trusted too much in the elusiveness of our WRs as well.

The execution was as bad as, if not worse than, the calls.

Shitty play calls or not, it is the players' jobs to execute those calls. Ours did not.

I also see the 3 straight screens as replacements for what would have been 3 straight runs to Bell, were Bell not being punished.

As an aside, I think we're all suffering a bit from the Les Miles problem I just got done with at LSU. Every OC under Les would suck and suffer the same flaws. Over time, it became clear to me (although somehow, not to a good chunk of the fan base) that the problem was the head coach's interference with the play calling and style of offense, which led to the same problems repeating. I suspect something similar is happening here.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:32 pm 

It was probably unrealistic to expect the there would be any kind of rhythm between Ben and Bryant- they haven't shared a field in almost 2 years. And Bell was rusty and kept on a short leash. The offense didn't really have its true identity today. Ben and Bryant will rediscover their rapport and Bell will be Bell. This will allow for a grown-up playbook (hopefully.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next