It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: happy w/ win..Tomlin Haley you gotta do much fucking bet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 20213
Was just reading Ron Cook's article right now- he had the audacity to write this:

Quote:
I’m willing to bet the Steelers offense won’t be held to 14 points again this season.


I laughed and laughed. It's as if Mr. Cook hasn't watched a single game the last five seasons.

_________________
Bill Walsh: “Your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: happy w/ win..Tomlin Haley you gotta do much fucking bet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 7738
Donnie Brasco wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:


Good post. No agenda for me, but I respectfully disagree with B2B and that's fine. Imho this is Tomlin and Haleys offense, I might throw Ben in there as well except we have heard and read about complaints and pushback from Ben for change to the offense and playcalls. Pushback from Tomlin?? Nope not a peep, this is literally Tomlin and Haleys offense so for me when we are complaining about this horizontal shit, we are looking straight at Tomlin and Haley.

Question for you guys, if getting rid of haley meant tying Tomlin to him and canning both of them how many of you would pull the trigger and fire them both?


Good question. I definitely feel like a fresh look in terms of an OC is in order as I believe there are better people out there, so I'd definitely can Haley.
But as much as I'm not a Tomlin fan, are there really appreciably better coaches out there? I don't think so. I just wish Tomlin would be a bit more hands on with the offense. He's now let Haley and Arians do their own thing when that's not proven to be the best approach. I truly believe Tomlin knows his coaches limitations, but doesn't seem inclined to intervene...it's weird




The proof is in the pudding DonnieBrasco and this is Tomlins offense, hes even stated that hes hands on with this unit. So my question stands, would you can both of em ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: happy w/ win..Tomlin Haley you gotta do much fucking bet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:12 pm
Posts: 460
GreekSteel wrote:
Question for you guys, if getting rid of haley meant tying Tomlin to him and canning both of them how many of you would pull the trigger and fire them both?

I would not. I'm unconvinced that anyone besides Belichick is clearly better than Mikey.

_________________
“They who have put out the people’s eyes reproach them of their blindness.”
— John Milton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: happy w/ win..Tomlin Haley you gotta do much fucking bet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 7738
Steel Drummer wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Question for you guys, if getting rid of haley meant tying Tomlin to him and canning both of them how many of you would pull the trigger and fire them both?

I would not. I'm unconvinced that anyone besides Belichick is clearly better than Mikey.




Understood. Definitely not an easy decision to make.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: happy w/ win..Tomlin Haley you gotta do much fucking bet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 13895
assuming you're right, Greek, ownership should have told him offense changes or Haley must go or everyone goes

_________________
Whatever it takes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: happy w/ win..Tomlin Haley you gotta do much fucking bet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 7738
bradshaw2ben wrote:
assuming you're right, Greek, ownership should have told him offense changes or Haley must go or everyone goes




I wish the Deuce would say that. Getting the ball out of Bens hands, in a split second after the snap is just wasting the mans talents. Nothing wrong with incorporating a bit of that into his more natural talents (intermediate passing, play action, more vertical stuff etc and so on) but right now, with respect to this "horizontal" shit, could you design a more wrong style of offense for Ben?

I do think Jeemie is correct in criticizing the decision of not playing the starters very much in the preaseason. The offense was all kinds of rusty yesterday and it wasnt limited to just Bell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: happy w/ win..Tomlin Haley you gotta do much fucking bet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 5389
I suspect that the powers that be recognize that they are down to the last x number of seasons with Ben, and they're trying to win a super bowl before he retires, and they believe that making big changes now would put them back. I'm not expecting any firings or major changes until at least after Ben retires if then. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, there's probably merits to both sides of the "fire Haley now" vs. "keep Haley for consistency" debate.

I will say I liked Arians's offense. I like downfield passing. I liked that when we had a 3rd and 10, we threw the ball at least 10 yards. I liked that when we had 3rd and 20, we threw the ball at least 20 yards. I hate throwing the ball horizontally, I hated it when Sherman did it.

I think the weak OLine that we had when Arians was here might have partly been Arians's doing. At the time I had the impression that they were paying a great defense, and paying all the skill players on offense, but skimping on the OLine. I remember reading that that is what the Colts did, and Arians had been with the Colts.

I liked Arians's offense, but I do think QB's get beat up in it as evidenced by his QB's in other locations getting beat up. So he was dismissed, Haley was brought in to protect Ben, and here we are.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: happy w/ win..Tomlin Haley you gotta do much fucking bet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 3346
Quote:
And regardless of what anyone says, Mike Tomlin enables this.


Exactly.

The gyrations some go through to absolve Tomlin of any blame for our offensive shit show (not just yesterday's game) is amazing.

Keith Butler said Tomlin is VERY involved in both the defense AND offensive meetings/game plans. He also said Tomlin has final say in those meetings.

I get that the OC has a job to do and the HC should allow them some latitude to do their job. But we are talking about an OC who just kicked off his SIXTH season as our OC. These arguments people are making may have had some merit back in 2012 or 2013. Not in 2017.

And while Tomlin isn't responsible for total design of an offense, he most certainly can and should be involved in the pace & tempo for which the offense is going to play. He most certainly is or should be involved in approving the weekly game plan in terms of how they plan to attack a defense.

He most certainly should have been involved in determing the scripted plays we are starting the season with. And if he isn't doing those things what the hell is he doing during the week's prep?

The only answer is that he signs off on this. The alternative is that he disagrees yet is powerless to do anything about it. And if that is the case is MUCH worse as it paints him as a Rooney Rule figure head who sounds good at the weekly presser.

I get this team runs as an organization with multiple people at the top having a voice. To me, that is relevant on draft day where they collectively decide on picks. Not in the film room where COACHES are being paid to coach.

As others have pointed out, the problem seems to stem from mentality. We design a plan based around execution. It's more often then not a "safe" plan designed not to lose a game and will deliver a win if the players execute. The flip side is the coach that designs his plan in a way that helps players to execute.

We get embarrassed yesterday if Antonio Brown isn't simply flat out more talented than the guys covering him.

And lest say he got dinged yesterday, would it have been DHB coming in?

The reality is that our OC just isn't very good in terms scheme/Xs & Os and neither is his boss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: happy w/ win..Tomlin Haley you gotta do much fucking bet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 7738
955876 wrote:
Quote:
And regardless of what anyone says, Mike Tomlin enables this.


Exactly.

The gyrations some go through to absolve Tomlin of any blame for our offensive shit show (not just yesterday's game) is amazing.

Keith Butler said Tomlin is VERY involved in both the defense AND offensive meetings/game plans. He also said Tomlin has final say in those meetings.

I get that the OC has a job to do and the HC should allow them some latitude to do their job. But we are talking about an OC who just kicked off his SIXTH season as our OC. These arguments people are making may have had some merit back in 2012 or 2013. Not in 2017.

And while Tomlin isn't responsible for total design of an offense, he most certainly can and should be involved in the pace & tempo for which the offense is going to play. He most certainly is or should be involved in approving the weekly game plan in terms of how they plan to attack a defense.

He most certainly should have been involved in determing the scripted plays we are starting the season with. And if he isn't doing those things what the hell is he doing during the week's prep?

The only answer is that he signs off on this. The alternative is that he disagrees yet is powerless to do anything about it. And if that is the case is MUCH worse as it paints him as a Rooney Rule figure head who sounds good at the weekly presser.

I get this team runs as an organization with multiple people at the top having a voice. To me, that is relevant on draft day where they collectively decide on picks. Not in the film room where COACHES are being paid to coach.

As others have pointed out, the problem seems to stem from mentality. We design a plan based around execution. It's more often then not a "safe" plan designed not to lose a game and will deliver a win if the players execute. The flip side is the coach that designs his plan in a way that helps players to execute.

We get embarrassed yesterday if Antonio Brown isn't simply flat out more talented than the guys covering him.

And lest say he got dinged yesterday, would it have been DHB coming in?

The reality is that our OC just isn't very good in terms scheme/Xs & Os and neither is his boss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: happy w/ win..Tomlin Haley you gotta do much fucking bet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm
Posts: 2999
The whole team needs to do better. Including Ben. I'm sorry the worst play of that game was that Int. It was a killer and almost gave Browns a chance to win. Haley and Tomlin had fuck all to do with that. I get it some of you are dead set on screaming murder at Tomlin and Haley.

BTW on WR screens etc Ben has RPO so you can blame Haley all you want but to do so is to suggest he makes the RPO decision for Ben. He doesn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], JackSplat58 and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group