It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tyson Alualu adding Dline depth
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:03 pm 

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/126 ... son-alualu

Quote:
Day in and day out, Alualu has been running alongside L.T. Walton and Johnny Maxey in what has been a formidable second unit. The Steelers have been lacking quality depth on the defensive line in recent years and have taken a few swings in free agency to address it (think Cam Thomas, Ricardo Mathews).

In Alualu, they brought in the highest-pedigree defensive lineman to date. He has shown to be a workmanlike — albeit not flashy — lineman at St. Vincent practices.

Post subject: Re: Tyson Alualu adding Dline depth
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:32 pm 

It great to see looks like they have finally found a solid Backup in Alualu who seems to a quality player.
maybe the best FA Dl since we added Kimo?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:11 pm 

steelmann58, I am so glad you brought up Kimo's name. Yeah, Kimo von Oelhoffen was a great free agent defensive lineman for us, in his 6 years he had 20.5 sacks as a Steeler. He played NT, he then moved to DE and they were very good about using him in a rotation as Brett Keisel was developing as a player.

From what I have seen in camp reports and from what I saw in the first preseason game, Alualu does look like the best free agent defensive lineman we have brought in since Kimo.

With Alualu, LT Walton and Maxey, the Steelers may have the best depth that I can remember in recent times. Couple that with the starters of Tuitt, Hargrave and Heyward and this is probably top to bottom as good as the unit of Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Kimo von Oelhoffen, Brett Keisel, Travis Kirschke and Chris Hoke from 2004-2005.

Of course I hope Tomlin/Butler actually USE all of this depth. There is no reason for Tuitt and Heyward to see 900-1000 snaps a piece on defense anymore with all of this depth. I also would hate to see them continue to use that 2-4-5 defense as much. I want to see more 3 man defensive lines, take Vince Williams off the field if you need to add a defensive back.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:55 pm 

Your Welcome and yes would like to see them use more rotation especially with the potential depth.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:57 pm 

Scunge wrote:
steelmann58, I am so glad you brought up Kimo's name. Yeah, Kimo von Oelhoffen was a great free agent defensive lineman for us, in his 6 years he had 20.5 sacks as a Steeler. He played NT, he then moved to DE and they were very good about using him in a rotation as Brett Keisel was developing as a player.

From what I have seen in camp reports and from what I saw in the first preseason game, Alualu does look like the best free agent defensive lineman we have brought in since Kimo.

With Alualu, LT Walton and Maxey, the Steelers may have the best depth that I can remember in recent times. Couple that with the starters of Tuitt, Hargrave and Heyward and this is probably top to bottom as good as the unit of Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Kimo von Oelhoffen, Brett Keisel, Travis Kirschke and Chris Hoke from 2004-2005.

Of course I hope Tomlin/Butler actually USE all of this depth. There is no reason for Tuitt and Heyward to see 900-1000 snaps a piece on defense anymore with all of this depth. I also would hate to see them continue to use that 2-4-5 defense as much. I want to see more 3 man defensive lines, take Vince Williams off the field if you need to add a defensive back.

Add Kimo's Oscar winning performance to his resume: "Aw shucks, didn't mean to snap Palmer's knee."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:49 am 

Alualu is one of many I want to pay close attention to vs the Falcons today. He has been quietly going about his business, I respect that. I haven't hear/read anything derogatory or for that matter anything great. I guess no news is good news?

Players I am focusing attention towards today.

Allen
Alualu
Bryant
Coates
Conner
Cooper
Finney (I believe Finney is better at guard, not a fan of his at center)
Hagen
Hawkins (LT for second team OLine)
Hilton
Huguenin (Farrington and Arthur Moats I believe are competing for a roster spot)
Matakevich
McGee
Watson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:57 pm 

Players that I wanted a look at and who stood out to me today...

McGee Looks like he could be worth the practice squad roster spot to develop.

Alualu looked overwhelmed? Perhaps he's still learning the defense? Not impressed thus far.

Allen didn't pop off the screen at me like I was prepared for. Ho-hum....

Bryant and Coates both look the part and I expect them both to be on the 53.

Conner exploded off the screen once he found his groove. Solid production. Future looks bright.

Finney as I pointed out is a better guard than center. I believe Hubbard is a better center than Finney.

Hawkins did not stand out but once on a run block to his side. Ho-hum...

Hagen was another ho-hum.... had a couple decent ST's plays.

Hilton deserves a legitimate shot at the 53. Everytime he is on the field he makes plays.

Huguenin is a solid prospect in need of more coaching and refinement. Practice squad candidate and perhaps solid OLB depth going forward.

Matakevich looked a little over matched for his first appearance on the 1st team defense. Rag dolled and pushed around. Made a few nice tackles but also missed a few.

Didn't notice Cooper. Either didn't see him on the field or his play wasn't enough to get noticed.

Watson didn't even play one snap as far as I know. I believe it was all Conner after Toussaint's abortion of a game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:13 pm 

Has Eli Rogers even been active? Don't think I've heard or seen him in the two games. To be fair, it's almost impossible to judge the receivers with Dobbs, although Coates has made some plays. I've not been impressed by Hunter, at all.

That 3rd and 4th receiver are going the big unknowns that will be key to this offense. I think Coates is going to recapture what he was doing before getting hurt last year, but the question is on the routes if he could actually be the slot guy if JuJu is slow to develop.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:20 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Has Eli Rogers even been active? Don't think I've heard or seen him in the two games. To be fair, it's almost impossible to judge the receivers with Dobbs, although Coates has made some plays. I've not been impressed by Hunter, at all.

That 3rd and 4th receiver are going the big unknowns that will be key to this offense. I think Coates is going to recapture what he was doing before getting hurt last year, but the question is on the routes if he could actually be the slot guy if JuJu is slow to develop.

Rogers has had a great camp. He is fine and I think J2S2 has work cut out to get ahead of him. I'm not worried about 4th WR at all. Coates looked healthy and sharp. I'd keep Ayers if he shows something on returns. Despite TD I was wholly unimpressed with Hunter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:31 pm 

Trey Williams put himself right up there on the radar today. In Fact the whole ST's unit did really surprisingly well today. I'm hopeful this is a prelude to the season and how it unfolds for them.