It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 53 and me
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:22 am 
Beyond Bell I think Watson is our next best option at a complete RB.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:24 pm 

Ayers is NOT practice squad eligible.

If Jerald Hawkins doesn't show drastic improvement these next two weeks. I see him moving to the PS. If he makes the team, he will NEVER dress anyway. Give him a year on the practice squad and he will be there for an injury emergency if needed.

I think Hagen moves to the practice squad too.

that will leave a few open roster spots for fringe players like Watson, Ayers etc to make the team.

I'm hoping there is a 3rd TE or a 5th safety that makes the 53 that isn't on the roster currently. Maybe a ILB also.

TE, I may even cut Johnson and fill that roster spot with Coates to save another fringe player spot.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:14 pm 

cop1211 wrote:
Nix does jack crap to earn a roster spot.

Before injury he was easily our best STs coverage player. Not a small thing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:01 pm 

If Ayers is not eligible then he's likely gone. I like Ayers. He produced well in limited action last season. He had a slim shot at a roster spot before he fell off the production wagon. Not sure if it's talent based (elite competition) or injury based but Ayers has essentially disappeared this camp. I admit, Hawkins is a bit of an enigma going forward. Should he be guaranteed a spot due to his draft slot? I know Hawkins has seen a lot of snaps at RT on the second team OLine. They've also been playing him at LT. He's their swing tackle going forward IMO. reason why they signed FA Harris last year. Hagen has quietly made a name for himself this camp. Much in the same manner as Dangerfield did last year. I think Hagen gets his shot and is rewarded a spot. I agree with FC that Johnson is a plodding wrecking ball blocker but he offers little else. I also agree with you fan that Johnson can be upgraded with a talent that can block and make short yardage gains in the short passing game. I'm not completely set in stone on my "roster predictions" and can easily see some unforeseen changes unfolding.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:18 pm 

How would you build your team with $165,208,503? see below...

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... y-cap-2017

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:20 pm 

Steelersfan wrote:
Ayers is NOT practice squad eligible.

How so?

He was drafted in 2016...
A player can be eligible if he does not have an accrued season in the NFL, although the NFL has now approved a maximum of two spots on the PS for players with no more than two accrued seasons. To have an accrued season, you have to be active for at least six regular-season games. A player can also go to the practice squad with an accrued season provided they were on the 45-man active roster for less than nine-regular season games.

Sure looks to be eligible for PS, to me. A player can actually be on the PS for 3 years, provided the team maintains 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times (which I assume would normally be the case).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:38 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
How would you build your team with $165,208,503? see below...

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... y-cap-2017

Only 1 Steelers (James Harrison)? I realize contract value is a huge factor, but Tuitt at $1.5M is about as good of value as out there (maybe they stayed away because an extension is expected).

But the thing that jumped out was they took a ROOKIE kicker when Boswell makes just $200k more?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:58 am 

bspn is anti-Steeler? I noticed as well. What drew me in there in the first place. How many Steelers does the douchebag network bspn chose? Of course I was not disappointed. Tom Brady was at the top so that pretty much set the tone. :lol: Fuck espn I laugh at their sorrows.

I do think it's a great premise to play around with to see what kind of team you can build with that type of financial resources. I imagine someone with more creativity and less bias could actually improve on what bspn put together.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:20 am 

Tom Brady is good....but, I'm sorry - if he didn't play for Belicheat and CIA Adams he'd be forgettable.

That system turned a guy - could have been any guy - into a God if he could throw a ball just 30 feet accurately.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:03 am 

steelersfan the only FA safety available worthy is Aaron Williams. TE Gary Barnidge is also still available. Or are you suggesting they dumpsterdive the trash heap after teams make their final cuts?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next