It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rule Changes
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:29 am 

Celebrations:
Allowing players to celebrate should make for an interesting season. The NFL will have their own 'Dancing with the Stars' competition going.

Injured Reserve:
Teams can now bring back two from injured reserve. That should help teams over the long run.

Overtime:
Shortened from 15 minutes to 10 minutes. Going to cause some controversy but a logical move IMO.

53-man roster:
Straight from 90. No more 75 players to 53.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Rule Changes
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:04 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Celebrations:
Allowing players to celebrate should make for an interesting season. The NFL will have their own 'Dancing with the Stars' competition going.

Injured Reserve:
Teams can now bring back two from injured reserve. That should help teams over the long run.

Overtime:
Shortened from 15 minutes to 10 minutes. Going to cause some controversy but a logical move IMO.

53-man roster:
Straight from 90. No more 75 players to 53.

Thoughts?

The 90 to 53 is the worst one. Tough to make the team as a fringe guy if you're getting any fewer reps that last week, and sometimes you could add a player you like after that first cut.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:10 am 

The only benefit to 90 to 53 is that you can see who another team cut earlier and maybe pick a guy up that way.

I wonder if this was done as a salary thing so less guys get paid? I have no clue if that is how it works but it is all about the money.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:12 am 

The 90 to 53 is a bad idea. I echo B2Bs thoughts.

When the hell did preseason cutdowns become a problem that needed addressing ?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:17 am 

They should just eliminate OT and go directly to a dance off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47gahDuOff8

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:31 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Celebrations:

GOOD! About time, who cares, it should never have been an issue. And, it was to subjective.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:42 am 

I still think they are botching the overtime rules. Shortening the OT to 10 minutes means more ties, especially given the fact if the first team kicks a FG, the second team driving down into FG range gets you to right about that 10 minute mark.

I still think the best answer is to make OT a sudden death continuation of the 4th quarter. If a team had the ball 2nd and 8 at midfield when time expired, pick up right there in OT and first score wins.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:50 am 

SP wrote:
I still think they are botching the overtime rules. Shortening the OT to 10 minutes means more ties, especially given the fact if the first team kicks a FG, the second team driving down into FG range gets you to right about that 10 minute mark.

I still think the best answer is to make OT a sudden death continuation of the 4th quarter. If a team had the ball 2nd and 8 at midfield when time expired, pick up right there in OT and first score wins.

Thats the best idea ive heard by far

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:55 am 

Just adopt the college OT format. Both teams get a shot from the 30. If you want to try to end it, you can always go for 2 (or a TD, if the other team kicked a FG first).

There is still an advantage to winning the coin flip in OT. Could even cap it - first two possessions you can kick FGs, next two it's TD or bust. If after 4 possessions it's still tied, then it's a tie. Go a step further and eliminate the XP on a TD - gotta go for 2.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:58 am 

The best OT rule is the college rules. It never lasts too long, it always decides a winner and IMO it's actually fun to watch. I get that some people say, "it's not real football", no special teams etc. But honestly, who cares? It's fun, interesting and decides a winner 100% of the time, in a reasonable amount of time.