It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deadspin article on Steeler's options on Bell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:36 pm 

http://deadspin.com/what-options-do-the ... 1796143399

Post subject: Re: Deadspin article on Steeler's options on Bell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:31 pm 

Long-term deals for a RB aren't going to match the $26.7M Bell stands to make with two tags. Then he is an unrestricted FA still in his prime.

That's the path to the most money for Bell, if he's willing to accept some risk. Even if he misses a few games in either of the next two years, that probably won't hurt his value.

He's guaranteed to pick-up $12.2M this year. And if he's that worried about injury, he can take out an insurance policy and basically guarantee himself at least another $10M net.

To me, this is a case where they are far apart and both sides have completely defensible and justifiable positions. I'll be surprised if a deal gets done, given that PIT has never been creative enough to do the deal that would get it done (like a 4/$50M deal that guarantees salaries that first 2-2+ years to get to something like $30M with minimal SB).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:44 pm 

Quote:
Long-term deals for a RB aren't going to match the $26.7M Bell stands to make with two tags. Then he is an unrestricted FA still in his prime.

That's the path to the most money for Bell, if he's willing to accept some risk. Even if he misses a few games in either of the next two years, that probably won't hurt his value.

He's guaranteed to pick-up $12.2M this year. And if he's that worried about injury, he can take out an insurance policy and basically guarantee himself at least another $10M net.

I have zero to add.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:08 am 

Immense talent, but he's been injured every year and has missed at least the final game of every season. He's also had two marijuana-related issues and missed time as a result. Plus he's a running back. His play will fall off a cliff at some point. He'll be 27 after two franchise tags. Many, many running backs' careers have been effectively over after 7 years. Many more have ended even sooner.

I don't know how you give him the money he wants/deserves. It's just too risky.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:50 pm 

Laying the Wood wrote:

On the other side of that coin, the risk is much higher if you're looking at a 4-yr deal two years from now after two tags. A 4-5 yr deal now makes sense, if you put no long-term SB at risk by just guaranteeing the first 3 years

C2, even C3, players are almost never cut the first 2-3 years of a long-term deal. I don't know why guaranteeing salaries aren't standard for almost every big contract. Generally superior to a big SB you have hanging over your cap for the entirety of the contract.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:26 pm 

Laying the Wood wrote:
Immense talent, but he's been injured every year and has missed at least the final game of every season. He's also had two marijuana-related issues and missed time as a result. Plus he's a running back. His play will fall off a cliff at some point. He'll be 27 after two franchise tags. Many, many running backs' careers have been effectively over after 7 years. Many more have ended even sooner.

We fell into the best running back in the NFL. With a revolutionary running style. He and AB owe us at least one ring. Without him NE is just simply too much. Show some respect!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:32 pm 

Steel 40 wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:

We fell into the best running back in the NFL. With a revolutionary running style. He and AB owe us at least one ring. Without him NE is just simply too much. Show some respect!!!

Lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:17 pm 

For those parents out there, you know how you might hide some toys when "those kids" are coming over?

Tomlin is one of those kids. Doesn't know how to play with nice things.

One great drive by Ben & Holmes has bought this pretender A LOT of leeway.

Bell is a great back but has been unreliable and most likely wouldn't get used properly when it matters most anyways. So why allocate huge dollars?? He's as much a crutch to our mentally challenged staff as he is the weapon he should be.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:06 pm 

That piece over on NFL.com talks of the injury and suspensions concerns and those are very valid. Still, his next suspension will be for only 4 games, not 10 because they negotiated he would remain at the same stage of the protocol over the controversy of his missed drug tests.

If he is seeking $15 million a year average I don't know if I would give him that, $9-10 million, sure, that would make him the highest paid RB, I think $8 million is tops right now. So, for me it is ludicrous that Bell and his agent are seeking nearly DOUBLE the current top average. Come on.

What if Brown had wanted DOUBLE the top average? How much is Julio Jones making per year? I want twice that!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:07 pm 

Steel 40 wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:

With him, New England is too much.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"