It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can Xavier Grimble play a bigger role?
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:24 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
As is the case with most teams. Without a franchise, shit looks bleak. Our darkness is coming.

True, but I think we will see a bigger drop-off because it's rare for this staff to outcoach the other one, or win with the lesser talent.

We'll find out. But the outcome will be the same. No franchise equals darkness.

But if we still have Bell and AB and if the D regains some former glory, we'll prolly be stuck without high draft picks. The Steelers are not incompetent enough to fall off a cliff, IMO. Tomlin buffoonery or not.

I mean if we at least get an Andy Dalton type, we won't be bottom feeding. Could do much worse than Tomlin. Time is going to tell.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:16 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
955876 wrote:
Bell is a crutch as much as a weapon with this staff.

As is Ben.

Take away their two crutches and the coaching staff is going to be laying on the ground like a helpless cripple unable to move.

I would say Ben is more a mask in that he covers or at the least lessens the impact of their flaws.

Bell literally becomes a crutch. They have this shiny toy that's very effective yet the more effective he is the more they rely on said toy to the point they render him in effective with their stale & predictable schemes.

It'd be nice if they actually relied on Ben more IMO as I feel some of the way the offense operates in general doesn't allow Ben to get into a flow like other QBs are able...

Would be interesting to see what a top tier OC & HC could do with some of our toys...

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:28 pm 

955876 wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
955876 wrote:
Bell is a crutch as much as a weapon with this staff.

As is Ben.

Take away their two crutches and the coaching staff is going to be laying on the ground like a helpless cripple unable to move.

I would say Ben is more a mask in that he covers or at the least lessens the impact of their flaws.

Bell literally becomes a crutch. They have this shiny toy that's very effective yet the more effective he is the more they rely on said toy to the point they render him in effective with their stale & predictable schemes.

It'd be nice if they actually relied on Ben more IMO as I feel some of the way the offense operates in general doesn't allow Ben to get into a flow like other QBs are able...

Would be interesting to see what a top tier OC & HC could do with some of our toys...

I hear you, 95, but I still contend that if Haley had a better leader at the helm to hold him accountable for preparation and planning, he would immediately become much better himself at what he does.
That leader would need to hold himself to that same accountability as well to set the example.

What we have now is not even close... :cry:

What we see in the Steelers' current "almost-but-not-quite" performance trends is the result of YEARS of this organization going with their collective gut, while maintaining an aversion to using modern tech to map out opponents' trends and make reading of such trends like reading childrens' books...
This is exactly where The Patsies machine has all the advantage, and it shows in dramatic and in most times embarrassing fashion.

The data is there.
Other teams are coming up to speed on how to use it to gain a competitive advantage.
The Patsies have grown into probably the most advanced in the NFL at using the data right now, and their competitive advantage is stark to the point that it looks like cheating
...never mind that it's the Pats... ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:58 pm 

Steeledge wrote:
The Patsies have grown into probably the most advanced in the NFL at using the data right now, and their competitive advantage is stark to the point that it looks like cheating

Oh they definitely are cheating, too...which is like putting their data on a 'roided up supercomputer while everyone else is crunching numbers with a Commodore 64.

Their advanced metrics lets them put together a surprisingly good team relative to the perceived talent. In Vegas terms, that's an "advantage" player. But it's legal.

It's the cheating that helps them win Superbowls, though. And in Vegas terms, that's cheating.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:16 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Steeledge wrote:

Oh they definitely are cheating, too...which is like putting their data on a 'roided up supercomputer while everyone else is crunching numbers with a Commodore 64.

Their advanced metrics lets them put together a surprisingly good team relative to the perceived talent. In Vegas terms, that's an "advantage" player. But it's legal.

It's the cheating that helps them win Superbowls, though. And in Vegas terms, that's cheating.

Right.

So call them "Filthy Fucking Cheaters!"
Then provide the evidence.

See how far that gets you...

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:26 pm 

Steeledge wrote:
So call them "Filthy Fucking Cheaters!"
Then provide the evidence.

See how far that gets you...

:roll:

Same way the few people that really dug into Madoff's returns knew he was cheating. They didn't have the "evidence", but the stats told them it was rotten.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:39 pm 

Still Lit wrote:

We don't have to be in darkness when Ben retires. We could go back to where we were before Ben, in the playoffs most years but not winning super bowls. Unless "in the playoffs regularly but not winning super bowls" is the darkness for you.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:37 pm 

Quote:
but I still contend that if Haley had a better leader at the helm to hold him accountable for preparation and planning, he would immediately become much better himself at what he does.

Fully agree. I hold Tomlin more accountable for the offense than I do Haley.

I'd Tomlin wants something different he would say so. If Haley wasn't delivering then there would be a rift and word would get out. Haley is doing what his bosses want.

Another reason I hold Tomlin more accountable is that OC for this team is a damn good gig. Especially with our weapons. If Haley were gone we'd have plenty of options.

Tomlin thinks what we do is right.

Just like he thought the best way to stop NE was to blow Brady a kiss a drop our pass rushers into coverage.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:40 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

We don't have to be in darkness when Ben retires. We could go back to where we were before Ben, in the playoffs most years but not winning super bowls. Unless "in the playoffs regularly but not winning super bowls" is the darkness for you.

Kind of like where we've been since the 2009 season, right?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:01 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
but I still contend that if Haley had a better leader at the helm to hold him accountable for preparation and planning, he would immediately become much better himself at what he does.

Fully agree. I hold Tomlin more accountable for the offense than I do Haley.

I'd Tomlin wants something different he would say so. If Haley wasn't delivering then there would be a rift and word would get out. Haley is doing what his bosses want.

Another reason I hold Tomlin more accountable is that OC for this team is a damn good gig. Especially with our weapons. If Haley were gone we'd have plenty of options.

Tomlin thinks what we do is right.

Just like he thought the best way to stop NE was to blow Brady a kiss a drop our pass rushers into coverage.

100% correct...but it goes further up than Tomlin. This is exactly what A2 wants out of the offense. That's why Tomlin was hired...that's why Haley was hired.
And that's why neither of the two is going to get fired!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next