It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Can Xavier Grimble play a bigger role?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:46 am 

He was pretty good in spot action during his rookie year. I think he has a higher ceiling as a pass catcher than James does. I remember him being a decent blocker? Anyone have any insights?

Post subject: Re: Can Xavier Grimble play a bigger role?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:01 am 

Yes he can. In the time (limited) Grimble saw on the field before his picture was on milk cartons he showed great promise. No reason to believe he can't regain the limelight again. Besides, the fact that the Steelers really have no more alternatives, I think Grimble is all but forced to play. To me this means another season of david johnson too. Unless Orndoff or Odom really make the most of this opportunity. We'll see. Training camp, OTA's and Preseason are going to be very interesting this season.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am 

Interestingly, Grimble (5.62) and James (5.63) had nearly the same yards per target last year. For comparison, Ladarius Green (8.94).

Grimble had 1 TD every 10.5 targets, James every 23.6, Green every 34.

Even in a down year last year, playing with hot garbage at QB and WR, Barnidge did 7.46 YPT & a TD every 41 attempts. In 2015, he did 8.34 YPT & 1 TD every 13.88 attempts.

I think Barnidge is no worse than a 800 yd, 70 or so catches, 3-4 TD guy in Pittsburgh 2017. I don't think James can do that.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:58 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Interestingly, Grimble (5.62) and James (5.63) had nearly the same yards per target last year. For comparison, Ladarius Green (8.94).

Grimble had 1 TD every 10.5 targets, James every 23.6, Green every 34.

Even in a down year last year, playing with hot garbage at QB and WR, Barnidge did 7.46 YPT & a TD every 41 attempts. In 2015, he did 8.34 YPT & 1 TD every 13.88 attempts.

I think Barnidge is no worse than a 800 yd, 70 or so catches, 3-4 TD guy in Pittsburgh 2017. I don't think James can do that.

I am pro Barnidge as well, but he's not catching 70 balls next year. I see more of a 50 for 600 and 5 TDS kind of year. Definite upgrade over James and Grimble. Worth a one year deal for sure. I will be very disappointed if they don't bring him in for a look.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:00 pm 

The td where he made the grab then stretched into the EZ was totally insane. So it seems like grimble CAN make plays. Lot of guys mill about then disappear too.

Anyway assuming the alien is back in the lineup, I'm thinking about 4 wide.

Do you see any Teletubbies in here? Do you see a slender plastic tag clipped to my shirt with my name printed on it? Do you see a little Asian child with a blank expression on his face sitting outside on a mechanical helicopter that shakes?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:04 pm 

I don't think it's fair to players to judge them solely on targets or yards per. It depends on scheme and who the coaches want to focus on because of either contracts or opponent strengths' weaknesses.

I'm guessing James and Grimble will have a great 2017. Green is out of the picture, and they will be involving both of those guys in the offense more than last year. They played their parts with the knowledge that someone was on the roster with a bit more speed at the position.

All those targets Green got will be distributed to James and Grimble. Or MB if he stays clean.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:26 pm 

it's still yggy wrote:
The td where he made the grab then stretched into the EZ was totally insane. So it seems like grimble CAN make plays. Lot of guys mill about then disappear too.

Anyway assuming the alien is back in the lineup, I'm thinking about 4 wide.

If only-- have you met our OC? 2 TE or 1 TE + 1FB will be used more than 4 wide.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:28 pm 

And they will likely do far less with those targets than Green. Why would you think that James/Green will produce like Green, when they had 2/3 of a season and didn't produce like he did in the same offense/scheme?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:15 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
And they will likely do far less with those targets than Green. Why would you think that James/Green will produce like Green, when they had 2/3 of a season and didn't produce like he did in the same offense/scheme?

Perhaps because James was the age of a normal rookie? It wouldn't be crazy to think he can take a step or two forward.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:43 pm 

It is just too early in the process to give up hope that Colbert can find a TE. I mean we just had a historic draft for TEs and there were many teams that took TEs and that might potentially make a lot of quality TEs available that teams will move on from because they want to get younger, or don't want to pay the money for a vet, or have a situation where the vet is close to leaving.

For example, the Titans drafted Jonnu Smith and maybe they decide to move on from 32 year old Delanie Walker who is in the last year of his contract?

Maybe the 49ers drafting of George Kittle makes Vance McDonald or Garrett Celek expendable? Or at least makes them open to the possibility of trading one?

Maybe Jake Butt makes Elway move on from Virgil Green or Jeff Huerman?

Maybe teams in love with their new shiny TE prospect decide to cut last year's shiny TE prospects like Tyler Higbee, MyCole Pruitt, Jerrell Adams?

Maybe the Lions go all in with Michael Roberts and decide to move on from Eric Ebron and decide to trade him?

You just never know what might happen, there are different waves of free agency, there will be cuts as teams get excited with their new draft picks, there will be cuts during the preseason and final cuts, etc.

Yes, Gary Barnidge is the popular choice right now, but it might not be the best choice depending on what transpires over the next 4 months.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next