It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ladarius Green released.
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:26 pm 

Wow if we weren't thin at TE before we certainly are now....

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:10 pm 

smithessmokin wrote:
Wow if we weren't thin at TE before we certainly are now....

BUT we have a shiny new long snapper that everyone is jerking off over, which is nice. Don't piss on that parade!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:05 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I understand what you are saying Scunge. My opinion is Bryant has already disappointed me as a fan and we all know he's disappointed his team mates. So you're right. Two of the three have disappointed. Coates could be thrown in the disappointment category as well but a broken hand isn't necessarily his fault. With Green out Coates and Bryant will need to step up. Grimble will have to step up as well. Grimble started off really well and then just fell off the planet. Not sure if it was scheme or Grimble not being capable. Hoping we see a huge step up from those three on offense. SBI.

$4,750,000 signing bonus + $4,750,000 guaranteed + cap hit $6,187,500 + $3,562,500 = Green fucked them,
Seems the Steelers never learn. Green is just one of the several they've signed knowing of the injury history. Everyone remembers Boykin right? Dude made the team as a FA with a degenerative hip disease. Kolbert has to be ecstatic with his GM abilities. Ownership has to be pleased. Wow, what a blunder. :oops:

That's not the right way to look at this deal. It was set up as more or less a one year deal for $5M (about the going rate for a starting TE on the market), with a $1.5M buyout on year 2.

Green, despite all his problems and lack of availability, had more receiving yards than Julius Thomas, Richard Rodgers, Virgil Green, Jacob Tamme, Brent Celek, Larry Donnell, Marcedes Lewis, & Anthony Fasano. They were absolutely right to cut him, rather than pay the remainder of his contract, but the guy only got good, not great $-- completely worth the risk.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:20 am 

AirRescueFF wrote:
Stosh-67 wrote:
How about Jake Butt or Jordan Leggett in the 4th,
Or Bucky Hodges in the 6th......instead of a long snapper

With the wealth of depth in the draft, it makes them not addressing the position then maddening.

My first thought as well

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:56 am 

Sorry, B2B I don't buy it. The dude's stats are as follows...
6 games played. 18 catches. 34 targets. 304 yards. 16.9 yard average. 37 yards/longest gain. 1 TD. 12 first downs.
Was that production worth all those millions? Not in my opinion. Terrible business decision on the Steelers behalf. They were 'Fleeced' and this wasn't the first time. Tombert and staff have a great deal of egg on their collective faces. Can't simply explain this type of shit away in my book. Own it. Be accountable for it. More importantly, never, ever allow it again. JMO

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:05 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
6 games played. 18 catches. 34 targets. 304 yards. 16.9 yard average. 37 yards/longest gain. 1 TD. 12 first downs.
Was that production worth all those millions? Not in my opinion. Terrible business decision on the Steelers behalf. They were 'Fleeced' and this wasn't the first time. Tombert and staff have a great deal of egg on their collective faces. Can't simply explain this type of shit away in my book. Own it. Be accountable for it. More importantly, never, ever allow it again. JMO

He was paid like the 13th-16th best TE. His stats, even accounting for time missed-- about 35th in the league. Jesse James played all year, including starting at the #1 spot for 10 games, and he had a whopping 34 more yards receiving.

Green didn't pan out the way anyone hoped, but the contract wasn't that big a disaster-- I said at the time it was basically a prove-it deal, and that's what it turned out to be.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:52 am 

I am really curious as to Gary Barnidge. Why has noone made a move to get him. Yeah he is 31 (only really 6 years of play so shouldn't be worn down) but two years ago he was really productive and his drop off last year was QB related more than anything.

Still why has noone signed him yet. Unless his agent is overpricing him, should be able to get a decent deal done for TE depth.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:08 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

He was paid like the 13th-16th best TE. His stats, even accounting for time missed-- about 35th in the league. Jesse James played all year, including starting at the #1 spot for 10 games, and he had a whopping 34 more yards receiving.

Green didn't pan out the way anyone hoped, but the contract wasn't that big a disaster-- I said at the time it was basically a prove-it deal, and that's what it turned out to be.

Good point. It is astounding how many people who follow the NFL don't really understand how the financials really work. I don't have the greatest grasp on it myself in a lot of ways, but the one real thing that matters is the guaranteed money and the signing bonus to a large extent. Green's deal was a one gear prove it deal with the option for the Steelers to walk away after a year, whether it got sold as a 4 year deal or a 20 year deal.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:11 am 

Big Steel wrote:
I am really curious as to Gary Barnidge. Why has noone made a move to get him. Yeah he is 31 (only really 6 years of play so shouldn't be worn down) but two years ago he was really productive and his drop off last year was QB related more than anything.

Still why has noone signed him yet. Unless his agent is overpricing him, should be able to get a decent deal done for TE depth.

Seriously...is Barnidge, at this point, any better than Jesse James?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:28 am 

it's still yggy wrote:
I'm happy about this because football would get in the way of Ladarius greens 12 months of ankle stretches before he can use the accelerator pedal in his car.

But concussions are a serious thing and it's best for all concerned if this dude is not on the field.

Then you have Colbert and Tomlin. They release a total bust of a flagship free agent and sign a totally different position. It's as if to say the urinal cakes in trough of the level one restroom is more important than our TE position. Pride before the fall and all that.

COR-TEN wrote:
Nah. I didn't see this coming. :roll:

:!:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next