It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greg Warren Released
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:27 pm 

That 6th round pick now makes a lot more sense.

Even though after the news of releasing Green, I wish it would have been on a project TE....

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 am 

Obviously, the Steelers Knew Warren's health before the draft and this was business as usual. Not something miraculous they did. I think folks are making a little too much from this. Yeah, It was surprising to see them draft a long snapper. Folks were completely baffled. Now, the truth comes to light there is a collective sigh of relief. Lets hope Holba truly deserves this position and he's not just another disappointment.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:07 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Obviously, the Steelers Knew Warren's health before the draft and this was business as usual. Not something miraculous they did. I think folks are making a little too much from this. Yeah, It was surprising to see them draft a long snapper. Folks were completely baffled. Now, the truth comes to light there is a collective sigh of relief. Lets hope Holba truly deserves this position and he's not just another disappointment.

I agree.

You can make a case center whether its STs or otherwise is the most important position on the team.

They are the only player that touches the ball EVERY snap

Without them performing damn near perfectly EVERY snap you could field the 1978 Steelers and still lose every game

If Holba is their guy im fine with grabbing him in the 6th. As someone else pointed out a likely to be C2 C3 starter although ia STer is well worth a 6th

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:17 am 

I'll ask the question again. In what round was Greg Warren drafted by the Steelers?

I don't question the value of a reliable long snapper. I question using a draft choice to secure one.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:27 pm 

Obviously wrote:
I'll ask the question again. In what round was Greg Warren drafted by the Steelers?

I don't question the value of a reliable long snapper. I question using a draft choice to secure one.

Warren was an UDFA in 2005 and was considered the 4th best LS prospect that year. Apparently, it's not that often that a great LS prospect comes up in the draft class. I've read where our guy, Holba, is one of those rare prospects, rated 1st I believe. I have no problem with the team spending a 6th to ensure they get the guy they wanted to replace a 10+ year vet that they knew was going to be needing replaced. My guess is they did their homework and realized one or more teams would be looking to upgrade/replace their current LS this year, so they insured they wouldn't be scrambling in hopes to find a better than average one. If Holba snaps for us for more than 4 years at an above average rate it's a pick well spent imo. Any longer or better it's a great pick. Times are a changing. In the 2005 draft there were about 9 LS prospects....in 2017, 43 draftable prospects. The LS position has become more important and obviously more refined.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:58 pm 

The Colts had released their LS so you could assume that the Steelers did not think Holba would make it to their pick in the 7th.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:46 pm 

Oh, is this was basically Warren retiring. The Steelers did him a solid and released him failed physically, which helps his financial future somehow through CBA I believe.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:55 pm 

From a medical benefits standpoint DP?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:13 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Obviously wrote:

Warren was an UDFA in 2005 and was considered the 4th best LS prospect that year. Apparently, it's not that often that a great LS prospect comes up in the draft class. I've read where our guy, Holba, is one of those rare prospects, rated 1st I believe. I have no problem with the team spending a 6th to ensure they get the guy they wanted to replace a 10+ year vet that they knew was going to be needing replaced. My guess is they did their homework and realized one or more teams would be looking to upgrade/replace their current LS this year, so they insured they wouldn't be scrambling in hopes to find a better than average one. If Holba snaps for us for more than 4 years at an above average rate it's a pick well spent imo. Any longer or better it's a great pick. Times are a changing. In the 2005 draft there were about 9 LS prospects....in 2017, 43 draftable prospects. The LS position has become more important and obviously more refined.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:15 pm 

Laying the Wood wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Could it be that the Steelers knew Warren was done...and felt signing him as an UFA was a risky proposition so they decided to take a guy they saw as the best available LS?

Could be.

Didn't you get the memo Colbert has not idea what is going on. He also does not know what he is doing. I seen't it here more than once or twice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next