It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greg Warren Released
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:22 pm 

You see, we'll always get the poster who, when someone criticizes a personnel move, claims that the critical one:

1. Hates Tombert
2. Feels Tombert doesn't know what they're doing.
3. Should go root for the Browns or Jets because they're spoiled.

And more times than not, in a condescending asshole way.

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:29 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
From a medical benefits standpoint DP?

Not exactly sure, but I believe it has to do with possibly qualifying by falling under the "guarantee" term within the CBA. Thought I heard/read Labs or someone mention it. I had also read that he was considering retirement last offseason, but the team talked him out of it for one more year. If he really wanted to retire this year and the team, instead, released him as "failed his physical", then it was done only to help Warren out financially imo. I know he was well respected by the team/FO and believe he always did the team a solid by signing basically one year contracts and not demanding/shopping a long-term deal with some bigger guarantee. I'm sure the FO is repaying the gesture however they can.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:32 pm 

Obviously wrote:
You see, we'll always get the poster who, when someone criticizes a personnel move, claims that the critical one:

1. Hates Tombert

If you are referring to me I am simply stating that over the course of the years on this forum I have heard over and over how clueless our front office is. If they knew Warren was not going to be here. They made a solid football decision that at the time seemed a bit of a head scratcher and now makes a lot more sense. Almost like they had an idea what they were doing.
If you are not referring to me then carry on.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:58 pm 

dude had one hell of a gig for a lotta years. great run for a smallish guy with limited skills who found a calling!! I wish I woulda long snapped as a youngster..

Last edited by bam morris on Fri May 19, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:03 pm 

Obviously wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Obviously wrote:
I'll ask the question again. In what round was Greg Warren drafted by the Steelers?

I don't question the value of a reliable long snapper. I question using a draft choice to secure one.

Warren was an UDFA in 2005 and was considered the 4th best LS prospect that year. Apparently, it's not that often that a great LS prospect comes up in the draft class. I've read where our guy, Holba, is one of those rare prospects, rated 1st I believe. I have no problem with the team spending a 6th to ensure they get the guy they wanted to replace a 10+ year vet that they knew was going to be needing replaced. My guess is they did their homework and realized one or more teams would be looking to upgrade/replace their current LS this year, so they insured they wouldn't be scrambling in hopes to find a better than average one. If Holba snaps for us for more than 4 years at an above average rate it's a pick well spent imo. Any longer or better it's a great pick. Times are a changing. In the 2005 draft there were about 9 LS prospects....in 2017, 43 draftable prospects. The LS position has become more important and obviously more refined.

How'd the Patriots get their long snapper?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:46 pm 

Obviously wrote:
I'll ask the question again. In what round was Greg Warren drafted by the Steelers?

I don't question the value of a reliable long snapper. I question using a draft choice to secure one.

What makes you so certain we'd be able to get him after the draft?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:39 pm 

Quote:
How'd the Patriots get their long snapper?

5th round two years ago. Do you know his name? I don't.

Quoting stosh:

5 long snappers drafted in last 10 years.
08. 09 and
1 each in last 3 drafts

So for the sake of argument let's say all five are still in the league with five different teams. That would be your best case scenario. That means 27 other teams have gotten their long snapper by other means and didn't burn a draft choice on one. I don't see a bad long snapper being an epidemic around the league. Do you? But maybe LTW can post that SBNation blog again written by some no name.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:43 pm 

stillthere wrote:
Obviously wrote:

1. Hates Tombert

If you are referring to me I am simply stating that over the course of the years on this forum I have heard over and over how clueless our front office is. If they knew Warren was not going to be here. They made a solid football decision that at the time seemed a bit of a head scratcher and now makes a lot more sense. Almost like they had an idea what they were doing.
If you are not referring to me then carry on.

So I guess they screwed the pooch on TE then after making that solid football decision on LS. It was apparent Green wasn't coming back, so they used that pick on an LS instead of a TE? Yeah, solid.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:45 pm 

86n96 wrote:
Obviously wrote:

What makes you so certain we'd be able to get him after the draft?

I'm not but they'd get somebody just the same. At least 27 teams have obtained a long snapper through other means than the draft.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:10 am 

Well, I think it is disingenuous to just say that other teams find long snappers as UDFAs.

Many teams find long snappers by signing them away from other teams that developed them.

Back when we signed Greg Warren as our long snapper in 2005, Mike Schneck continued on and actually made the Pro Bowl with Buffalo in 2005, Schneck long snapped for 3 NFL teams.

That same year of 2005, Schneck's predecessor with the Steelers, Kendall Gammon, was snapping for Kansas City, he long snapped for 3 NFL teams too.

But the fact remains that in 2005, the Steelers had 3 players that they developed all long snapping in the NFL for 3 different teams and one made the Pro Bowl.

Many of you can try and manufacture all of this drama about the long snapper position but one thing is pretty damn clear to me, the Steelers are like the Long Snapper Whisperer, they have a track record at the position that nobody can match. If they think Holba is the next great Steeler long snapper and wanted to spend a 6th round pick to guarantee that they got him, then what the hell are people complaining about?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next