It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tweets On Rookies, Minicamp
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:23 pm 

Or Mohamed Sanu or T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:44 pm 

Wow, I just could not disagree more on JuJu. He is just 20 and he will fill out his frame more and add muscle and probably get faster. Steelers do very well with these young prospects that aren't maxed out yet and still are growing and developing.

Boldin ran a 4.72, Sanu ran a 4.67. New Orleans spent a 2nd round pick on Michael Thomas out of Ohio St, who was 6'3" 212, who only had a 33" vertical and ran a 4.57, yet all he did as a rookie was have 92 catches for 1,137 yards and 9 TDs last season. He was 23 years old as a rookie and maxed out physically.

JuJu is 20 and is 6'1 215 and ran a 4.54. You don't have to believe me but he has the same vertical leap number as Mike Williams. So, if people are going to say JuJu is going to fail because his vertical leap isn't great, does that mean Mike Williams will also fail too?

The thing that you can't put a number or stat on is his instincts and ability to play football. He had some of the best, maybe the best ball tracking skills of any WR in the draft. Just innately aware of where the ball is and what he has to do to come down with it. He has no problem with body control, with getting his feet in bounds. With the ball in his hands he has legitimate run after the catch skills, he is physical and knows how to use the stiff arm. When the QB is in trouble and it is time for the WRs to break off their routes and come back to the QB and find an open spot, JuJu has that skill perfected already. Ben is going to love throwing to JuJu and I think he has a good chance of having a 1,000 yard season.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:02 pm 

I think the main obstacle to him getting 1000 yards is getting enough snaps and targets to do it.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:10 pm 

WR corps is 'Stacked' this season. While it's a great problem to have as a team I can see there will be some decent NFL talent lost in the shuffle come roster trimming time. As a 2nd RND pick Schuster is locked to make the 53.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:36 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
WR corps is 'Stacked' this season. While it's a great problem to have as a team I can see there will be some decent NFL talent lost in the shuffle come roster trimming time. As a 2nd RND pick Schuster is locked to make the 53.

Which is why I'd trade some WR talent.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:11 pm 

Curious, Who could they trade? Who would be the likely partner?

These are the names. Ayers, Brown, Bryant, Coates, Hamilton, Heyward-Bey, Hunter, Rogers, Smith-Schuster and Tucker.

Brown, Hunter (sans catastrophic failure as a receiver) and 2nd RND pick Smith-Schuster aren't going anywhere.
Perhaps Bryant? Just off a season long banishment for substance abuse I doubt teams are remotely interested.
Coates? He was on pace to take the NFL by storm before the hand injury. Perhaps there may be some interest. Still very young and now healthy. Possibility.
Hamilton? They signed him off the streets last season. Although he proved his NFL worth doubt teams are going to want to trade for Hamilton.
Heyward-Bey? He is at the end of a decent career. Still has some speed left and could still play solid ST's. Very doubtful he's tradeable.
Rogers is JAG. Be surprised if there was any trade interest in him at all.
Tucker hasn't played a down in the NFL yet. Nothing doing.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:57 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Curious, Who could they trade? Who would be the likely partner?

These are the names. Ayers, Brown, Bryant, Coates, Hamilton, Heyward-Bey, Hunter, Rogers, Smith-Schuster and Tucker.

Brown, Hunter (sans catastrophic failure as a receiver) and 2nd RND pick Smith-Schuster aren't going anywhere.
Perhaps Bryant? Just off a season long banishment for substance abuse I doubt teams are remotely interested.
Coates? He was on pace to take the NFL by storm before the hand injury. Perhaps there may be some interest. Still very young and now healthy. Possibility.
Hamilton? They signed him off the streets last season. Although he proved his NFL worth doubt teams are going to want to trade for Hamilton.
Heyward-Bey? He is at the end of a decent career. Still has some speed left and could still play solid ST's. Very doubtful he's tradeable.
Rogers is JAG. Be surprised if there was any trade interest in him at all.
Tucker hasn't played a down in the NFL yet. Nothing doing.

Not sure I agree with you on Hunter. I think he could be cut very easily. Not much financially tied up in his deal. I think it's entirely possible that Ayers or Coates is dealt late in training camp for a late round draft pick.

AB, Bryant, Juju, Rogers, Coates/Ayers/Hunter, & DHB

I think they will carry 6 WRs because of DHB's ST abilities. Hamilton is as good as gone.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:18 am 

I hadn't even really considered Hamilton, but his OC and position coach love him... you might want to gird yourself for keeping Hamilton/Hunter over Ayers and Coates. IDK if that'll happen, but it easily could.

My best guess: AB, Bryant, Smith-Schuster, Hunter, Rogers, DHB or Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:59 am 

I think there's no way they cut Coates, unless he's just awful in the preseason.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:15 am 

Scunge wrote:
Wow, I just could not disagree more on JuJu. He is just 20 and he will fill out his frame more and add muscle and probably get faster. Steelers do very well with these young prospects that aren't maxed out yet and still are growing and developing.

Boldin ran a 4.72, Sanu ran a 4.67. New Orleans spent a 2nd round pick on Michael Thomas out of Ohio St, who was 6'3" 212, who only had a 33" vertical and ran a 4.57, yet all he did as a rookie was have 92 catches for 1,137 yards and 9 TDs last season. He was 23 years old as a rookie and maxed out physically.

JuJu is 20 and is 6'1 215 and ran a 4.54. You don't have to believe me but he has the same vertical leap number as Mike Williams. So, if people are going to say JuJu is going to fail because his vertical leap isn't great, does that mean Mike Williams will also fail too?

The thing that you can't put a number or stat on is his instincts and ability to play football. He had some of the best, maybe the best ball tracking skills of any WR in the draft. Just innately aware of where the ball is and what he has to do to come down with it. He has no problem with body control, with getting his feet in bounds. With the ball in his hands he has legitimate run after the catch skills, he is physical and knows how to use the stiff arm. When the QB is in trouble and it is time for the WRs to break off their routes and come back to the QB and find an open spot, JuJu has that skill perfected already. Ben is going to love throwing to JuJu and I think he has a good chance of having a 1,000 yard season.

Very solid post Scunge. I agree.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next