It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Possible roster
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:06 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Was the first impression I got as well. There are some factors that will sway a player besides money. We all know Money being the #1. Perennial Contender the #2. Outstanding Well Represented Franchise the #3. Excellent Repoor with Players the #4 are just some off the top of the head. I believe #1 will override all the others so we'll see. Remember Pittsburgh has a decent amount of cap space this season too.

Don't forget his former DC Sean McDermott is with the Bills....always helps.

The Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski believes "the Eagles will continue to seek offers for" LB Mychal Kendricks.

The Eagles and 49ers were reportedly close to a deal during the combine, but the trade never materialized. After the draft, EVP Howie Roseman said he "fully anticipate(s)" Kendricks will remain with the team, but Kempski thinks Roseman is simply posturing to convince other teams Kendricks will not be available for free in August. Still just 26 and a quality player when used correctly, it is surprising the Eagles have had this much trouble moving Kendricks even with a somewhat bloated contract.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:00 pm 

Was curious as to when new players are assigned their jersey numbers. I've noticed the Steelers haven't even signed any draftees/rookies yet either. This week?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:16 pm 

Quote:
T.J. Watt 90
JuJu Smith-Schuster 13
Cam Sutton 20
J. Conner 30
J. Dobbs 5
B. Allen 29
C. Holba 49
K. Adams 99
https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/ ... ey-numbers

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:54 pm 

Watt 90
Conner 30
are according to Bob labs are the only two numbers that are locked in.
the others are subject to change.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:24 pm 

alancac98 wrote:

I'd rather have Golson or Dixon rather than Gay. His time is past and we need to be younger. He got his ass burnt early and often against crossing routes from the slot. Old and slow is he now!

You know how this staff loves to cater to their veterans. If (huge IF) Gay is passed on the depth chart I think he retires a Steeler. And yes, Dixon would be my 'sleeper' to replace Gay.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:36 pm 

Dixon, I think is purely an outside type CB... i.e., a replacement for Golson or Shabbaz. The kid from Weber State and Hilton would seem like more slot types.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:27 pm 

Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken B2B but..., wasn't Gay able to play both inside and outside in the Steelers defense? Gay was better on the outside earlier in his career then transitioned inside and was able to play anywhere. I'm thinking that's why some folks have projected Gay to safety. A lot to expect from a player (Dixon) whose little known and still looking to find a home on an NFL roster, I know. I'm referring to his roster spot as a 4th corner not Gay's specific position at slot. My opinion is, I think Sutton is the team's slot corner from day 1.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:08 pm 

Dixon played a whole season with the Bucs in 2014-- played in 14 games. Kicked around since then on 3 or 4 different practice squads.

I see what you're saying about Gay-- I think that slot position though will either be manned by Gay or Sensabaugh to start the season. Can't get a read on what they think of Gay, exactly, but history suggests they'll keep Sensabaugh and that Sensabaugh is a slot CB. Right now, it feels like they've got 6 guys who seem like slot guys (Gay, Sensabaugh, Hilton, Golson, Ducre, & Sutton) plus Burns, Cockrell, & Allen. Maybe they see Sutton as viable inside/outside guy but I think those days are long gone for Gay, unless he was playing hurt last year.

I really wonder if they have a clear cut group in mind for the roster or if there is some real competition for spots. Personally, I think Burns is the only one of them who is 100% safe. Sensabaugh, Cockrell, & Sutton more likely than not-- but not locks.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:21 pm 

Sensabaugh slipped my mind. I think you are correct. Sensabaugh in the slot with Burns and Cockrell outside. Sutton may see limited play time on defense so that would knock Dixon way down the totem. My bad. I really do not believe they'll be able to 'hide' Brian Allen on the practice squad either. I think he has to take a spot on the 53.

"I really wonder if they have a clear cut group in mind for the roster or if there is some real competition for spots." Is a great question I'm also very interested in.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:25 pm 

If you go by pedigree/investment, Sensabaugh, Burns, Golson, Sutton, Allen.

By experience, in order:

Will Gay (160 games/101 starts), Coty Sensabaugh (72/29), Ross Cockrell (38/23), Artie Burns (16/9), Brandon Dixon (14/0), Greg Ducre (10/1)

NFL camp experience: Devonte Johnson, Mike Hilton

No NFL camp experience: Senquez Golson, Cam Sutton, Brian Allen)

Can they possibly consider keeping 3 guys who haven't even made it through an NFL camp yet? I predict they will keep AT LEAST 3 CBs with experience, and no more than 6 total. That means at least 5 cuts. It would take at least one vet cut (Gay, Cockrell, or Sensabaugh) for all three "rookies" to make the roster.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next