It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Possible roster
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:39 pm 

TB wrote:
Gay's play fell off a cliff like Jordan Willis was a first round pick. :P

Gay was good last year by any reasonable or statistical measure. Can't put the heat on him for teams exposing our bad or inexperienced safeties and LBs in coverage. Would love if we've got enough good options to not have to depend on him, but we know how this is going to go. It's going to be Burns, Cockrell, Sensabaugh, Gay, Sutton, maybe Golson if he doesn't get cut, and Allen most likely will be practice squad.

Should have been a 1st round pick!

PFF had Gay as the #10 CB in the entire NFL last year, so what does that tell you? :roll:

Personally, I think Robert Golden and Mike Mitchell were much bigger problems in coverage, but I think the reports that the Steelers were not able to play man coverage because Gay was getting killed in it vs NE has validity to it.

It's early to see how this plays out, but I think Allen has a clear path to the roster-- they have basically no one with length other than him. Burns is a little above average length, and pretty much everyone else is short.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:59 pm 

Allen 108.875
Burns 105.125
Dixon 104
Sensabaugh 102.25
Cockrell 101.88
Gay 101.25
Sutton 101
Ducre 100.875
Hilton 98.5
Golson 98.375

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:40 pm 

We go through this every year. Everybody wants an infusion of fresh talent, everybody wants new players drafted that can put this team over the top, get that 7th Lombardi trophy.

But once the players are acquired via the draft, through free agency and such, then you have people claim they can't make the team or will be lucky to be on the practice squad.

And because of Willie Gay? Art Moats? Hayward-Bey? Warren? DJ Johnson? That is just ludicrous!!

Has it ever occurred to anybody that maybe our special teams would be more special if we didn't have all of these old veterans who are just average at best? I would rather have Keion Adams over Art Moats, would rather have Demarcus Ayers over Bey, if Ayers can be your punt returner that trumps whatever Bey does. I keep Grimble over Johnson. DJ Johnson was not just on the roster last season because of the uncertainty of Green but because Rosie Nix missed the first half of the season too. A healthy Nix from the start of the season means Johnson has a more difficult time making the roster, I would rather have Nix out there as a blocker than Johnson, and Johnson is really nothing special as a STer.

In terms of Gay slipping, yes, I saw it just like I saw Ike Taylor go downhill quickly. It is funny but many fans just develop a blind spot with aging Steelers and can't or won't believe that Hines Ward, Ike Taylor, Heath Miller and yes, Willie Gay all go into steep decline. They just are in denial and always assert that we can get just one more year out of them.

Time to move on from these old vets. They are at the bottom of the depth chart for the most part and you are going to risk losing young drafted prospects to squeak out one more year of what? Of mediocrity? Because they can tutor young players? What young players?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7