It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Possible roster
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:06 pm 

Allen and Sutton will have to carve out a niche on ST's. I believe Sutton will have no problems there. Allen could be the odd man out. I just hate to see Athleticism, height, weight, speed and length prospect lost to another roster. I think Allen will be worth the gamble. I'd have to cut Gay if he didn't want to retire.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:43 pm 

Quote:

Camp Arm...

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:33 pm 

I think the Steelers can't afford to be so short-sighted and only look at this season in terms of the CBs.

Next season they could see Ross Cockrell leave for free agency and Willie Gay either retire or be genuinely cut because his play has declined even more. So you don't want to just be cavalier this season and cut Golson or not keep Brian Allen and be like everything is great!! They have to realize that the CB group as it was last season was just not good enough. You have to genuinely make some changes to see some change. Cutting Gay and keeping Golson, Allen, Sutton makes a lot of sense. Sensabaugh is trying to make his 3rd NFL team, so I don't know if he is the answer for anything.

To me it is time to cut some veterans this year throughout the roster. Willie Gay, Art Moats, Darius Hayward-Bey, David Johnson, Greg Warren. We need to get younger and get more of an impact out of those positions.

I would love to see Brian Allen as a gunner on special teams. Coates is so bad at that. Him and Bey are always talked up about how great they are in that role but I just don't see it. Coates can use his speed to run down the field and be the first man down there but where is the tackle? I saw so many return men make him look silly because he can't slow down, break himself down and make the tackle, just so stiff.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 am 

I agree Scunge. Especially regarding the secondary. There has to be team wide changes in personnel. Gay could stay on as a backup CB/S type IMO. It won't be costing a lot and Gay knows the defense inside and out so that makes him valuable should he be capable of playing that role. I like that the Steelers signed Galambos too. He can be a ST's player to start as well. Heyward-Bey, Johnson and Warren are all good choices. Warren really isn't going to make or break this team. I understand his salary is questionable but other than that he's solid at long snapper. perhaps he just decides to retire or Holba out plays him and acquires his roster spot anyway. I think both Johnson and Bey will be let go before the season starts. Although many believe Cockrell is upgradeable I think you're right. Should he decide to split next season (which I think the Steelers are planning for anyway) then there absolutely has to be a replacement on the team already or in worse case a FA in mind.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:24 am 

Why are we rushing Gay off into the sunset again? Dude was clearly our best, most dependable CB last year.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:51 am 

TB wrote:
Why are we rushing Gay off into the sunset again? Dude was clearly our best, most dependable CB last year.

Um, no he wasn't. We had serious problems covering in the middle of the field and the fact that Gay's play fell off a cliff was a big part of that. Gay-Timmons-Golden-Mitchell-Shazier-Deebo in coverage... that's what kept us from having a top 10 Defense last year. Timmons gone, deebo's replacement on roster, Shazier is what he is, Gay-Golden-Mitchell are upgradeable, whether it's now or next year. I can't imagine that they'll go into the season without some vet presence at CB, but history suggests they'll keep Sensabaugh, so likely Gay or Golson goes buh bye.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
TB wrote:

Um, no he wasn't. We had serious problems covering in the middle of the field and the fact that Gay's play fell off a cliff was a big part of that. Gay-Timmons-Golden-Mitchell-Shazier-Deebo in coverage... that's what kept us from having a top 10 Defense last year. Timmons gone, deebo's replacement on roster, Shazier is what he is, Gay-Golden-Mitchell are upgradeable, whether it's now or next year. I can't imagine that they'll go into the season without some vet presence at CB, but history suggests they'll keep Sensabaugh, so likely Gay or Golson goes buh bye.

I have been a Willie Gay fan since he was a rookie. But at this point in his career, are NFL teams clamoring to snap him up if he is cut? He absolutely knows the defense. But he was never a burner, and now he is downright slow. Still, if we cut him, what stops us from calling him up if we discover that we need him? Or, could we retire him into a consulting role—like we did with Lake and later with Porter?

Golson just makes me sad. Dude had so much potential. And it looks like we will never see even a glimpse of what he could have been. Biggest waste of a high pick since Gabe Rivera. That Liz Frank (whoever she is) is one mean woman. A real home wrecker.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:13 pm 

Gay's play fell off a cliff like Jordan Willis was a first round pick. :P

Gay was good last year by any reasonable or statistical measure. Can't put the heat on him for teams exposing our bad or inexperienced safeties and LBs in coverage. Would love if we've got enough good options to not have to depend on him, but we know how this is going to go. It's going to be Burns, Cockrell, Sensabaugh, Gay, Sutton, maybe Golson if he doesn't get cut, and Allen most likely will be practice squad.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:29 pm 

Huey Richardson pick 15 (16G)
Gabe Rivera 21, 2 sacks in 6 games
Richard Colclough 38
Jeremy Staat 41
Mark Behning 47 (16G)
Chris Kolodziejski pick 52 (7G, 5 rec 59 yds)
Limas Sweed 53
Senquez Golson 56
Scott Shields 59
Alonzo Jackson 59
Chris Conrad 66
Steve Conley 72 (21G, 4 sacks)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:30 pm 

TB wrote:
Gay's play fell off a cliff like Jordan Willis was a first round pick. :P

Gay was good last year by any reasonable or statistical measure. Can't put the heat on him for teams exposing our bad or inexperienced safeties and LBs in coverage. Would love if we've got enough good options to not have to depend on him, but we know how this is going to go. It's going to be Burns, Cockrell, Sensabaugh, Gay, Sutton, maybe Golson if he doesn't get cut, and Allen most likely will be practice squad.

IDK TB, Gay started off okay, but by the last quarter of the season his play had dropped off, imo. He was a step or two slower. Maybe he was hurt, but I didn't hear anything about it. Gay does have a replacement on this team and his name is Cam Sutton. I don't know if he will play the exact same position in the DB, but he was brought in to replace Gay's smart leadership abilities, no doubt. He may get a year under Gay's tutelage. If so, they might keep 11 DBs this year or 10 with Sutton and Gay (if he stays) both playing CB/S roles. Sutton is probably smart enough to handle the dual role...physically it's anyone's guess.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next