It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: James Conner
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:12 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
FWIW, Bell has had 2 off-the field incidents: 1. blunts with Blount while driving 2. missing mandated testing

Yea and he's got a shredded knee and now a groin.

Don't get me wrong, I love the dude but sometimes you have to make a business decision and maybe it's in the best interest for the Steelers to eventually part ways with Bell in a couple years

I guarantee THEY don't see it that way. Todd Haley thinks Bell is the best player on the team, and so do many others.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:15 pm 

I think you're right about how the coaches view him

But maybe Haley isn't around to call the plays in a couple years to influence Colbert? I'm just saying coaches overvalue players to the entire team's (and cap) detriment

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:31 pm 

Bell is a fleeting novelty and should be treated as such....

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:35 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
FWIW, Bell has had 2 off-the field incidents: 1. blunts with Blount while driving 2. missing mandated testing

Yea and he's got a shredded knee and now a groin.

Don't get me wrong, I love the dude but sometimes you have to make a business decision and maybe it's in the best interest for the Steelers to eventually part ways with Bell in a couple years

I guarantee THEY don't see it that way. Todd Haley thinks Bell is the best player on the team, and so do many others.

Bell IS the best player on this team now.

Not even sure it's close.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:36 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

True

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:50 pm 

Id put Ben ahead of Bell by a couple of notches

None the less

How bout a 5 yr 50M 20G ?

Bell would be 31 when its done. Not completely guaranteed to be used up by any means.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:01 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:

No way.

Current top contract for a RB is Lesean McCoy at 5 yr, $40M with 18.75 guaranteed - Bell will not be getting a 25% premium. Especially with his injury and off-field history.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:19 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:
Id put Ben ahead of Bell by a couple of notches

None the less

Bell would be 31 when its done. Not completely guaranteed to be used up by any means.

Love Ben.

I think Bell has surpassed him.

Bell might be, other than Brady, the best football player in the entire NFL.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:27 pm 

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/23628/james-conners-pass-catching-session-with-ben-roethlisberger-forged-steelers-bond
(video at link)

Quote:
James Conner's pass-catching session with Ben Roethlisberger forged Steelers bond

PITTSBURGH -- Before quarterback Ben Roethlisberger publicly committed to playing a 14th season, he was putting in work with one of his new Steelers offensive weapons.

Of course, Roethlisberger didn't know then that Pitt running back James Conner would become the Steelers' late-third-round pick. But while in Irvine, California, spending time with Rep 1 Sports -- the agency representing both players -- Conner and Roethlisberger took to a nearby practice field along with No. 2 pick Mitch Trubisky and others.

NFL Films tweeted a snippet of the workout as a preview for "Hey Rookie, Welcome to the NFL," which airs Tuesday at 8:30 p.m. ET on ESPN. This setting was more businesslike than playful. As Conner told ESPN on Saturday, the day after he got drafted, Roethlisberger taught him the whole Steelers route tree.

Follow
NFL Films ✔ @NFLFilms
No need for introductions in Pittsburgh. The newest member of the @steelers has already been working w/ his new QB.#HeyRookie @JamesConner_
6:31 AM - 29 Apr 2017
205 205 Retweets 452 452 likes
"Working with Ben Roethlisberger was amazing," Conner told NFL Films in the video. "He taught me a lot of things about how to get open, in and out of routes."

Roethlisberger is known to be vocal with receivers while mastering passing concepts. He prefers working things out in live action rather than logging additional hours in a film room.

And, as evidenced by Le'Veon Bell's 5.4 catches per game since 2014, Big Ben doesn't mind targeting his tailbacks in the passing game.

Roethlisberger referenced Bell when explaining to Conner the proper way to "put your foot in the ground" to juke a linebacker -- something Bell has mastered.

A few other pointers from Roethlisberger to Conner:

"1-2-3 -- Come to me, set it down and break it out."

"The linebacker is sitting on the goal line. You're going to stutter him and go right over the top."

Conner, who captivated college football by defeating Hodgkin's lymphoma, is a bruising 6-foot-2, 240-pound back, but he's more of a receiver than advertised. At his pro day, Conner made a point of showcasing his hands and acquitted himself well.

Perhaps the head start between quarterback and running back will result in a few first downs through the air.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:39 pm 

Gonna miss that guy when he is gone

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next