It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: James Conner
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:58 pm 

Scunge wrote:
The real question for me is that I think if Rooney is going to give these big extensions to both Brown and Bell, don't you think he also had a talk with Tomlin too?

I mean, I believe that Brown will be quickly phased out of his punt return duties. Whether it is Cam Sutton or Eli Rogers I think Brown will only sparingly see time there in crucial games, i.e. playoffs, etc.

Likewise, I have to think that Rooney has seen how Bell has failed to be there for 3 straight playoff runs. Each one he got injured, even this last one where he left the NE game after the first quarter. Again, I feel like Rooney probably has talked to Tomlin and said listen, you can't be running the wheels off him to where he is no good to us in the playoffs when we need him the most.

So, to that end, I think that is why they were targeting a bigger back, because they do want to take some of the carries off of Bell. We have all seen it the past 2-3 years where the game is in hand and they are still handing the ball off to Bell. What games you say?

We beat Cleveland 24-9, and Bell had 28 carries for 146 yards and added another 8 catches for 55 yards. How many carries did the OTHER RBs have that day? How many catches did the OTHER RBs have that day? Not a single damn one, 0, zip, nada. That is stupidity. Bell should have been taken out at the end of the 3rd quarter or at the very least some other players should have been getting some reps like Fitz.

When we beat the JETS Bell had 20 carries and 9 catches. DeAngelo only got to carry the ball 1 time and they targeted him on a catch which went incomplete. Bell was on the field for 96% of the snaps, some 73 plays. That catches up to you over the length of a long season.

So, to wrap this up, how can James Connor help this year? He can spell Bell throughout portions of the game and help to keep him fresh. If we are looking for DEs to help Heyward and Tuitt and keep them from playing all those snaps and getting worn down, then why isn't that same principle to be applied to Bell?

Sure, Connor can't be the weapon in the passing game but there are times when Tomlin and Haley forget that they have a Marshall Faulk clone in Bell and are using him like Jerome Bettis. Bell had all those carries in the playoffs and caught just 4 passes for 3 yards, Jerome Bettis indeed. When you are using your offensive line and your intent is to just go smash mouth then why can't Connor come in and do that and give Bell some rest? Blount did that in his short time here.

Also, why couldn't they use Connor in the backfield with Bell? A Two back set and then Bell can motion out and line up at WR. They did some of that in the JETS game where Williams and Bell were both on the field at the same time. Connor is 235 pounds, he couldn't do pass protection? Why not? And they still could hand the ball off to Connor in those situations. I can see Connor also being used as a more multipurpose FB, imagine a John L Williams type. Rosie Nix may be a good blocker but he really hasn't proven to be a runner or pass catcher. They did that some in FB Will Johnson's rookie year where they were getting the ball to him. He also was a recipient of some two point play action. Couldn't Connor help with that as well. Imagine having a two point offense where you have Bryant, JuJu, Green, and then have Bell and Connor at RB. Ben looks to see who to throw the fade to and then if nobody is open he can do a delayed handoff to Bell or let Connor use his 235 pounds to power into the end zone. Randy Fitcher probably has all kind of new plays he is cooking up with the addition of JuJu and Connor.

That's all great, but we all know that DeAngelo could have effectively spelled Bell, and probably would have done it better than any backup, and even some of the starters in the NFL. That didn't stop the Steelers coaches from being fucktards and running the wheels off of Bell while DeAngelo rotted on the bench.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:30 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Maybe they've worked out together? Guess that's possible.

https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/858312818868842497

From welcome to the NFL or some show like that.

edit:
I see you posted the article this is just the twitter vid from NFL films.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:02 pm 

Quote:
Former Pitt running back James Conner officially became a Steelers player Thursday when he signed a four-year contract with the team. The Steelers have signed four of their eight draft choices, including sixth-round pick Colin Holba, who also signed Thursday. http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/122 ... h-steelers

And then there were 4...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14