It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cam Sutton
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:47 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Some analysis from the net.

Quote:
Sutton (5’11/188) was a rare four-year starter in the Vols’ secondary, graduating as the school’s all-time leader in pass breakups (37) with seven interceptions. Sutton missed half of his senior season with a fractured ankle, but experienced no durability problems before that. He managed a 35th-percentile athleticism workout in Indy, running 4.52 with underwhelming peripherals. Sutton earned praise for a solid Senior Bowl week, but he struggles in man coverage and misses way too many tackles. Short armed (30"), not a physical enough for the slot, and not athletic enough for the boundary, Sutton is low-probability pick. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/122 ... ron-sutton
Certainly not endearing...

This is not consistent with me watching every game he played his entire career. He wasn't the guy I felt the best about from TN (Barnett and Dobbs were the two guys I felt strongest about), but I don't think his film suggests he is not physical and/or can't cover in man. He is not a "wow" athlete, but he is a guy that has a good size/weight/speed ratio and consistently made plays vs. the pass and run for multiple years (when healthy).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:30 pm 

What I read about him is that he is not grabby, meaning he did not see much penalties and he only gave up 3 TDs for his career. And he scored 3 TDs on punt returns so in a way he gave up nothing in terms of points.

I don't know, for every negative review of a prospect I can show you a positive, glowing one. I have read some crazy reviews where people were saying that JuJu is not a physical player and goes down easily :roll:

This is all just speculation and we won't know until the preseason games and the regular season what we have. Like last preseason it became clear to me that we struck gold with our rookie trio, with Burns he missed his first 3 preseason games and we had to wait longer on him, but I knew that we had something special with those three. It will be the same this year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:35 pm 

I've read everywhere this cat was a solid producer in the collegiate theatre. Wasn't a WR he didn't go up against. The Steelers feel his best position is inside with the ability to play some boundary. I still wanted Douglas more, especially since Griffin and Lewis were off the board. I feel like this is a very 'safe' and solid pick. He will get his wings and start like all the others playing Sunday's on ST's. Sutton is my 3rd favorite pick of this draft. In addition to Sutton, Allen should be an absolute stud on ST's with those measurables. Watt, Adams even Conner and Schuster will be capable of contributing. I look at ST's as very much improved going forward, theoretically. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:43 pm 

Really good college player who will have issues seeing the field on defense. I hope he's able to upgrade the return game from where AB left it last year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:49 pm 

Well... I hope to see more than 'issues getting on the field for defense' I'm sure as the Steelers do too. Otherwise this is another wasted mid round pick.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:24 pm 

alhill wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Some analysis from the net.

Quote:
Sutton (5’11/188) was a rare four-year starter in the Vols’ secondary, graduating as the school’s all-time leader in pass breakups (37) with seven interceptions. Sutton missed half of his senior season with a fractured ankle, but experienced no durability problems before that. He managed a 35th-percentile athleticism workout in Indy, running 4.52 with underwhelming peripherals. Sutton earned praise for a solid Senior Bowl week, but he struggles in man coverage and misses way too many tackles. Short armed (30"), not a physical enough for the slot, and not athletic enough for the boundary, Sutton is low-probability pick. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/122 ... ron-sutton
Certainly not endearing...

This is not consistent with me watching every game he played his entire career. He wasn't the guy I felt the best about from TN (Barnett and Dobbs were the two guys I felt strongest about), but I don't think his film suggests he is not physical and/or can't cover in man. He is not a "wow" athlete, but he is a guy that has a good size/weight/speed ratio and consistently made plays vs. the pass and run for multiple years (when healthy).

Al,

Thanks as always for your Tennessee evaluations. A lot of people are saying he can't play man-to-man in the slot, but that isn't what I saw on film. I get the size issue, but he seems to have quick feet and good change of direction. How do you feel he can play slot in the NFL?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:57 pm 

He has no length or size-- he's going to have a very hard time re-directing anyone. I think his movement skills are very good, but when you jump up a level in class, the weapons you face are generally much better athletes and are going to negate his college quickness advantage. I've heard they are thinking of using him on the outside-- he might have a better chance out there with #2 WRs but I don't think he's a guy you want to see in Man2Man vs an elite NFL X. He's Willie Gay all over again-- except not quite as long and better mirroring.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:34 am 

He will struggle with press man. I think he is an off -man CB in the NFL. He is a Willie Gay clone.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:51 am 

If he turns into Willie Gay, then that's a good pick at that spot.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:03 am 

R S wrote:
If he turns into Willie Gay, then that's a good pick at that spot.

if it were 2008, yeah

I've been saying Willie Gay is the comp-- I expected him to go to Tennessee, until I heard DLB said he thinks they need to have more man 2 man coverages because of how the NFL is evolving.

I think brick has the right idea-- off man might be right for him-- nickel safety could be the plan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next