It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Cam Sutton
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:49 pm 

Maybe we can win more of the other games during the year with him so we get NE at home in the playoffs? Not that that has helped the last two times, but those were a relatively long time ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:21 am 

He makes a lot of plays from off man coverage. I do agree with that. However, I did see a number of plays where he was in man-to-man and turned and ran with the WR very well and got a couple picks. (Georgia I think was one.) He's not going to beat you up in press man, although he is quite physical for his size. He's not afraid of contact.

In the past couple years, we've been lining up the likes of Antwon Blake in the slot against Edelman and an aging William Gay. Neither of those players have Sutton's feet, hips, or change of direction skills. Is Sutton going to single-handedly shut down Edelman in the slot? No, but I do consider him a potential upgrade at that position depending on how quickly he learns. From everything I've read, he was a real leader on the Vols and a smart kid.

I get that he is not Richard Sherman in press man coverage but I'm not sure we need that.

New England did not gash our secondary because Chris Hogan is an elite athlete. They gashed us because our secondary kept making mental mistakes over and over again. To beat the cheats, you have to cut down the mental mistakes, play better in the red zone, and get a pass rush that doesn't take 8 seconds to get there. I think this draft will help the cause.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:35 am 

franco32 wrote:
He makes a lot of plays from off man coverage. I do agree with that. However, I did see a number of plays where he was in man-to-man and turned and ran with the WR very well and got a couple picks. (Georgia I think was one.) He's not going to beat you up in press man, although he is quite physical for his size. He's not afraid of contact.

In the past couple years, we've been lining up the likes of Antwon Blake in the slot against Edelman and an aging William Gay. Neither of those players have Sutton's feet, hips, or change of direction skills. Is Sutton going to single-handedly shut down Edelman in the slot? No, but I do consider him a potential upgrade at that position depending on how quickly he learns. From everything I've read, he was a real leader on the Vols and a smart kid.

I get that he is not Richard Sherman in press man coverage but I'm not sure we need that.

New England did not gash our secondary because Chris Hogan is an elite athlete. They gashed us because our secondary kept making mental mistakes over and over again. To beat the cheats, you have to cut down the mental mistakes, play better in the red zone, and get a pass rush that doesn't take 8 seconds to get there. I think this draft will help the cause.

I don't disagree with any of that-- Chris Hogan and co beat our isolated safeties... Golden, Burns, & Mitchell. Remains to be seen if we do anything to address that problem. Maybe we'll get biblically lucky and Jacob Hagen will take a giant step forward to win the #3 safety job. He's a guy that could make a play or two in coverage as a safety and would be an upgrade, in my opinion, over Golden/Dangerfield, in Quarters and the coverages they like to play in red zone.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:29 pm 

Cam Sutton is a candidate to replace Willie Gay in his role as a slot corner who can play outside too.

Looking back at Willie Gay's career, he played 5 years in his first stint as a Steeler mostly as a slot cb with mixed results. He was cut (2012) and signed by Arizona for a year. Then back to the Steelers for 4 years, for a total of nine years as a CB for the Steelers.

Gay reached his highest level of play in his second stint between the ages of 28-30, Steelers top cb those years. Last season he seemed to be losing a step. It's surprising that Gay has only 9 career interceptions (5 pick 6s, Big Play Willie Gay) in a Steelers uniform or an average of 1 per year. Overall he's been a solid player with a long career. Gay is now 32, with a birthday on January 1st.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:58 pm 

How do Steelers break Sutton in? Do they put him in slot straight away or do what they did with Davis last season and try him out all over the place?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:13 am 

Well, I think Sutton should be the full time punt returner, so that is one way to have him active and playing right away.

I guess I just feel differently about the CBs and these issues of size and length. Many want to penalize Sutton and Golson for having short arms, and not having ideal size but man I am excited to have two players that can actually force more contested catches. It just seems like we always have CBs that aren't even within the frame of the TV when a pass is completed. These two CBs at least in college were in the hip pocket of the WR and were able to play the football, the catch point, break up the pass. What good is being 6' or 6'1" like Cortez Allen if you are just oblivious to where the ball is, if you have no instincts to play the ball?

The one thing about Sutton is that I am really staring to come around to him as a player after having watched more of his junior year tape. Was really impressed with his punt return work, with his hands in catching punts and also in making INTs and in breaking up passes.

This may not be a popular opinion but maybe with Golson and Sutton the Steelers do less with a 3rd safety and more with having those two come on in sub packages.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:43 am 

Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald-- even Anquan Boldin are a mismatch problem from the slot for which we don't have a great answer with Golson, Sensabaugh, Gay, Sutton on the field.

As I said, certainly willing to take a wait and see approach to what Sutton can do at this level. I'm sure you can all remember Gay isolated vs. Jordy Nelson and James Jones, though.

I do think that our "hit the jackpot" version of things working out at CB would be Burns-Allen-Sutton-Golson all make it, and all 4 are able to be on the field and not liabilities in dime.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6