It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shazier
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:49 am 

Quote:
@AlbertBreer
The Steelers have exercised their fifth-year option on LB Ryan Shazier, per source. https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/ ... gr%5Etweet

Totally forgot about this. Prudent.

Post subject: Re: Shazier
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:39 am 

If Shazier were smart he'd start marketing the TubMonster brand :mrgreen:

All kidding aside, this is a no-brainer. We need to find a way to lock him up long-term also. I love the way this guy plays the game

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:10 am 

StillerInCT wrote:
If Shazier were smart he'd start marketing the TubMonster brand :mrgreen:

All kidding aside, this is a no-brainer. We need to find a way to lock him up long-term also. I love the way this guy plays the game

True. I admit that I didn’t like the pick at first. But the way he takes over a game…it’s a Lambert, Troy, Silverback kind of thing. If he can stay healthy and stay in his zone…he is MVP kinda good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:31 am 

Well he's certainly no CJ Mosley...that's for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:44 am 

Wow, time is flying right by (although this year is actually his fourth year, so they got this out of the way like 8 months early).

But he still needs to prove he can stay on the field before you give him a huge signing bonus, or you're going to have to get creative with the structure.

He is an awesome player when healthy. I think he will struggle to stay on the field his entire career - you're either injury prone or you're not, and you don't go through the string of injuries he's had unless you're injury prone.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:03 pm 

I think Shazier finally has grown his body, physically, to where he needs it so he can be an every down ILB in the NFL. He will have some health issues (like Troy) because of the way he plays, but I expect him to be pretty healthy for a while now (minus a little ding here and there).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:41 pm 

Good for Shazpussy. He has overcome physical limitations: no hair, narrow wrists and a small frame.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:02 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
Good for Shazpussy. He has overcome physical limitations: no hair, narrow wrists and a small frame.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:20 pm 

DP39 wrote:
I think Shazier finally has grown his body, physically, to where he needs it so he can be an every down ILB in the NFL.

Not sure growing your body physically has much to do with it, with respect to injuries. There's little you can do if your joints & their tendons are more susceptible to injury. And if you susceptible to pulls and strains, there's only so much conditioning and stretching can do (and really fast people like Shazier are more susceptible to pulls - I'd guess every world-class sprinter has multiple pulls throughout their career).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:31 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
DP39 wrote:
I think Shazier finally has grown his body, physically, to where he needs it so he can be an every down ILB in the NFL.

Not sure growing your body physically has much to do with it, with respect to injuries. There's little you can do if your joints & their tendons are more susceptible to injury. And if you susceptible to pulls and strains, there's only so much conditioning and stretching can do (and really fast people like Shazier are more susceptible to pulls - I'd guess every world-class sprinter has multiple pulls throughout their career).

I guess I feel after 3 plus years in the NFL weight/training program I feel he's built his body to better withstand the rigors of an full NFL season. Much like Timmons changed his body to be more NFL ready over the first few years of his career. And yes, I realize Timmons didn't have health related playing issues.