It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A MUST View For Understanding The Steelers Draft
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 pm 

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/The_process_of_preparation/524beea6-03ea-4517-b095-6b7aa66e71b3

A description of the Steelers continuous draft process, how it was established in the 70s, how they do it the same way today. Lots of explicit description, and a few things between the lines or on the screen that stand out. You can even see some advantages to doing it the way the Steelers do and some gaping holes in the process.

Post subject: Re: A MUST View For Understanding The Steelers Draft
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:08 pm 

Really good video on both the history and current process. I've had the good fortune to have been able to go into the draft room - not on draft day but it's still pretty cool. At certain points during the video you can see names on the wall and that's still what it looks like.

In addition to using it for the draft process, during the season they use the walls in there to keep every team's current roster as well as the names of the top 10 people at each position that aren't attached to a team, updating it as people get signed or let go. One year we were there mid season and one of our punters got hurt the next day - I happened to remember looking at the punter list when we were in the draft room and it was cool knowing exactly which people they would call in for tryouts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 pm 

That Tomlin phone call is awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:14 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/The_process_of_preparation/524beea6-03ea-4517-b095-6b7aa66e71b3

A description of the Steelers continuous draft process, how it was established in the 70s, how they do it the same way today. Lots of explicit description, and a few things between the lines or on the screen that stand out. You can even see some advantages to doing it the way the Steelers do and some gaping holes in the process.

Haven't watched it yet, but reading the comments above one can assume that nobody wants the responsibility of tweaking the process to make it better. If there are gaping holes in the approach/system, then tweaking that process can provide some huge benefits. In today's day and age, just because it worked well for the last 20 years, doesn't mean it will work well now. The process needs to be fluid and adaptable in order to continue to be successful. I'll view it tonight, but not really encouraging for the future of the team returning to prominence of a super bowl dynasty, like I would like them to be. Maybe, I'm just being too negative! we'll find out very soon how the system works out this year for them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:07 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Haven't watched it yet, but reading the comments above one can assume that nobody wants the responsibility of tweaking the process to make it better. If there are gaping holes in the approach/system, then tweaking that process can provide some huge benefits. In today's day and age, just because it worked well for the last 20 years, doesn't mean it will work well now. The process needs to be fluid and adaptable in order to continue to be successful. I'll view it tonight, but not really encouraging for the future of the team returning to prominence of a super bowl dynasty, like I would like them to be. Maybe, I'm just being too negative! we'll find out very soon how the system works out this year for them.

Agree. This roster is void of anything resembling NFL players, and I want change now goddammit!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:48 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

If it ain't broke, don't break it.

Their confidence in the process makes sense as they run - nay sprint - to the podium to make that 1st round pick. I just wish they'd give it a few minutes to see if the phone rings. We know you're confident.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:54 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Why is there always a knee jerk reaction at this board to assume the Steelers are stuck in the past and resist improving?

The video gets into the history of the Steelers drafting; the roles & position responsibilities of the scouts; and a timeline for what the GM & Scouts do leading up to the draft (things like college all star games, the combine, pro days, and visits). It doesn't come close to analyzing the Steelers' methods of grading players or any sort of draft strategy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:23 pm 

No, but the process makes for certain conclusions to be drawn. The personnel/scouting people operate in a vacuum for almost 10 months of the year (not counting the work they put in on highly recruited high school players and prospects who aren't going to be eligible even in the next draft).

The standards set for characteristics they seek might be followed to a T or might be interpreted quite differently by people along the line. Also, the fact that the GM and HC have a very, very limited amount of time to personally go to pro days and so on-- this also dictates that they probably can't quickly change plans after a combine workout blows up the scouting narrative on a player (like Jordan Willis).

On the other hand, by this point, all the people in the organization are speaking the same language.

The other big elephant in the room is: BLESTO. They are sharing information with competitors, in an effort to save some manpower and effort. This kind of rubs me the wrong way. Information and analysis of players is currency and can be the difference between you taking a stud no one else wants and losing that player to a competitor. I'd like to see it more like the Patriots, where they develop a very idiosyncratic board, pick guys who fit like a glove, don't share ANY information, and give zero fucks to what anyone else thinks. My opinion is: scouts love to talk to other scouts and, these days, even to draft nut bloggers such as yours truly. I'd keep that information locked away, even after the draft-- hoping that those other teams release the player I really wanted 3 years ago and I can sign him to my team and give him a chance for success in a better fit situation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:58 am 
bradshaw2ben wrote:
No, but the process makes for certain conclusions to be drawn. The personnel/scouting people operate in a vacuum for almost 10 months of the year (not counting the work they put in on highly recruited high school players and prospects who aren't going to be eligible even in the next draft).

The standards set for characteristics they seek might be followed to a T or might be interpreted quite differently by people along the line. Also, the fact that the GM and HC have an very, very limited amount of time to personally go to pro days and so on-- this also dictates that they probably can't quickly change plans after a combine workout blows up the scouting narrative on a player (like Jordan Willis).

On the other hand, by this point, all the people in the organization are speaking the same language.

The other big elephant in the room is: BLESTO. They are sharing information with competitors, in an effort to save some manpower and effort. This kind of rubs me the wrong way. Information and analysis of players is currency and can be the difference between you taking a stud no one else wants and losing that player to a competitor. I'd like to see it more like the Patriots, where they develop a very idiosyncratic board, pick guys who fit like a glove, don't share ANY information, and give zero fucks to what anyone else thinks. My opinion is: scouts love to talk to other scouts and, these days, even to draft nut bloggers such as yours truly. I'd keep that information locked away, even after the draft-- hoping that those other teams release the play I really wanted 3 years ago and I can sign him to my team and give him a chance for success in a better fit situation.

This ...

Additionally......I would establish 2 independent scouting teams in aaddition to the company line status quo team and purposely keep them outta the loop. Its likely 2 independent teams come up with some different ideas.

A perfect example of this is the Gil Brandt 150 vs the Steelerfury groupthink of the 2 mock drafts.

Gil sees things very differently in many cases

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:08 am 

Hard to draw hard and fast conclusions based on an eight minute video, but...

...I agree that BLESTO is an idea whose time is probably over, given the insane amount of competition for players today.

...I saw far too much paper collection of data...drafting's a place where analytics should be playing a HUGE role...I'd like to see the data collection process must more digitized and standardized and far less paper and manual effort. You could probably do much more with video digital imaging analysis than yearly personal visits anyway.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."