It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ross Cockrell signs RFA Tender
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:04 pm 

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/04/ross-cockrell-signs-restricted-fa-tender/

Post subject: Re: Ross Cockrell signs RFA Tender
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:50 am 

Jesus this signing got no attention whatsoever.

I know it's ho-hum, yawn type stuff but damn.

Glad it's done, we need the bodies and he's done pretty well for us. Hopeful to get a couple more DB's that can be the future starters of our D but again, I see this as a positive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:37 pm 

Yeah, I don't get the hate for this player.

This is an interesting question. Who are the top 5 CBs for the Steelers the past 15 years?

Ike Taylor? Sure, he is #1. Then, uh, Deshea Townsend. Who are the other 3 CBs? In the last 15 years who are the other good CBs that we have had as legitimate starters and did not embarrass themselves?

Artie Burns? Bryant McFadden? Keenan Lewis?

Ross Cockrell belongs in the conversation as being one of the top 5 CBs that we have had over the past 15 years. Burns had 13 passes defensed last season and everyone is impressed, well would anybody care to know that Cockrell had 14 passes defensed? And this is with him have the more tougher assignments, that wasn't Burns covering the AJ Greens, no the Steelers were having Cockrell matched up on him.

Also, he had 62 tackles, he does not avoid contact, he is not THAT soft. You may not like that he does not come up and hit like a sledge hammer but he isn't that bad. So many people are clamoring for this CB and that CB in this draft and I chuckle because they are softer than Cockrell, they avoid contact and are prima donnas against the run. If Cockrell had 35 tackles as a starting NFL CB then that would be an indicator to me of a soft player looking to avoid contact.

I was watching a game with a friend and he went ballistic when Cockrell got flagged for a penalty for coming up and throwing a shoulder into the WR along the sidelines. That just shows how Cockrell can't win, fans minds are made up. He is soft and when he comes up and plays aggressively and lays the wood and draws a flag, then he is just as screwed, he just can't win.

Yet, in the short amount of time that he has been on the field as the nickel back and starting CB he has 25 passes defensed, he always seems to be in position to at least make the catch more difficult to complete. We didn't have to spend a draft pick on him, we signed him as a street free agent. Just see nothing to hate about this player and I see him continuing to improve.

And something else, he seems to be a favorite of Tomlin, so don't expect him to be going anywhere anytime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:02 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Yeah, I don't get the hate for this player.

This is an interesting question. Who are the top 5 CBs for the Steelers the past 15 years?

Ike Taylor? Sure, he is #1. Then, uh, Deshea Townsend. Who are the other 3 CBs? In the last 15 years who are the other good CBs that we have had as legitimate starters and did not embarrass themselves?

Artie Burns? Bryant McFadden? Keenan Lewis?

Ross Cockrell belongs in the conversation as being one of the top 5 CBs that we have had over the past 15 years. Burns had 13 passes defensed last season and everyone is impressed, well would anybody care to know that Cockrell had 14 passes defensed? And this is with him have the more tougher assignments, that wasn't Burns covering the AJ Greens, no the Steelers were having Cockrell matched up on him.

Also, he had 62 tackles, he does not avoid contact, he is not THAT soft. You may not like that he does not come up and hit like a sledge hammer but he isn't that bad. So many people are clamoring for this CB and that CB in this draft and I chuckle because they are softer than Cockrell, they avoid contact and are prima donnas against the run. If Cockrell had 35 tackles as a starting NFL CB then that would be an indicator to me of a soft player looking to avoid contact.

I was watching a game with a friend and he went ballistic when Cockrell got flagged for a penalty for coming up and throwing a shoulder into the WR along the sidelines. That just shows how Cockrell can't win, fans minds are made up. He is soft and when he comes up and plays aggressively and lays the wood and draws a flag, then he is just as screwed, he just can't win.

Yet, in the short amount of time that he has been on the field as the nickel back and starting CB he has 25 passes defensed, he always seems to be in position to at least make the catch more difficult to complete. We didn't have to spend a draft pick on him, we signed him as a street free agent. Just see nothing to hate about this player and I see him continuing to improve.

And something else, he seems to be a favorite of Tomlin, so don't expect him to be going anywhere anytime soon.

In the last 15 years...Big Play Willie Gay! ;) Think about that...
With ya on RC.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:35 pm 

Tomlin has made comments suggesting he sees a need for more talent on the back end of the D.

I dont dislike Cockrell for what he is. A value priced CB who can give you good snaps against 75 percent of the nfl, and at least a punchers chance of keeping it under 30 with the rest. He could have a Chris Hoke esque career here if he can deal with lower pay and roster status. If he has Nate Washington dreams hes gonna have to move on.

I think most success in the nfl these days is about unit mismatches and in a rarer sense indivivual mismatches. Good teams realize no one can field the 1978 Steelers anymore. You can however build one helluva DL. Or a great WR unit. Or feature a Troy Polamalu or Percy Harvin in a Hero Back roll.

And then build out from there.

Burns looks pretty good in early returns. Do you draft another blue chip at CB and shut down the outside lanes ? Or do you try to get an elite edge that is gonna force the throw quicker and shorter ?

Im kinda leaning towards more talent on the backend these days

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:51 am 

You know I wasn't totally forgetting Gay, but to me I have always thought of him as that slot CB, that 3rd CB, not as that starter capable of lining up and being a legitimate CB on the outside.

It is funny but Gay is sort of like a template for how Cockrell can carve out his career. Gay caught hell from fans in his first run, many were only too happy to see him leave for Arizona. When he was resigned, many were like why did we bring him back? I think he has played much better in his second run with the team.

Cockrell is heady like Gay was and if he is working on gaining strength and toughness he could very well end up sticking around for 10 years. All I know is that I forget which game I was watching but there was this pregame bit and somebody was interviewing Tomlin and they were talking about Cockrell. Tomlin's eyes lit up, he got a big smile on his face, he asked if they got any words out of Cockrell because he is so quiet and unassuming. Just seems like Tomlin really loves this player, believes in him. Yes, every team wants Pro Bowlers at every position, but when you carry 10 defensive backs, I have to feel that Cockrell is an easy player for Tomlin to keep around.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 am 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Jesus this signing got no attention whatsoever.

I know it's ho-hum, yawn type stuff but damn.

Glad it's done, we need the bodies and he's done pretty well for us. Hopeful to get a couple more DB's that can be the future starters of our D but again, I see this as a positive.

Agree. Definitely going to need him next year. This is going to be a young secondary.....