It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your top 5 picks for #30
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:38 pm 

If recent history is an example, they're probably not going to draft your guy, or even your second guy. Hell, they might draft an Artie Burns again, or a Sean Davis in the second, or a Ryan Shazier. Picks that come out of left field for most of us, lead to panic attacks, sleepless nights, and soggy diapers. So let's see who your top 5 are for pick #30:

1) Budda Baker - I don't care about his size, I just love his game and want to see him in a Steeler uniform. His best asset is his versatility. We can start him off in the slot as he's got the quick twitch and cover skills to make an impact there. He and Davis would make a great young duo going forward. A playmaker on the back end where we have an obvious need.

2) Marlon Humphrey - Most likely he's not going to be there, but he checks all the boxes for me. Big, fast, physical, young, great pedigree, will be a force against the run. Huge talent.

3) Carl Lawson - A lot to like outside of the injury history. Strength to power, can bend the edge, great physicality, smart player, can hold the edge. Think he can make an instant impact.

4) Takk McKinley - Another guy where the injury history worries you, and it's hard to truly evaluate him considering he played with that shoulder injury, but I love his quick twitch, length, and his motor is fantastic.

5) T.J. Watt - His brother may be a douche, but that's not a good enough reason not to draft him. Hard not to like his potential. The guy uses his hands like a pro, can stack blocks, and has the same motor his big bubby does. He's still got some filling out to do, but I can see why this guy has creeped into the first round in many mocks.

Post subject: Re: Your top 5 picks for #30
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:48 pm 

TB wrote:
If recent history is an example, they're probably not going to draft your guy, or even your second guy. Hell, they might draft an Artie Burns again, or a Sean Davis in the second, or a Ryan Shazier. Picks that come out of left field for most of us, lead to panic attacks, sleepless nights, and soggy diapers. So let's see who your top 5 are for pick #30:

1) Budda Baker - I don't care about his size, I just love his game and want to see him in a Steeler uniform. His best asset is his versatility. We can start him off in the slot as he's got the quick twitch and cover skills to make an impact there. He and Davis would make a great young duo going forward. A playmaker on the back end where we have an obvious need.

2) Marlon Humphrey - Most likely he's not going to be there, but he checks all the boxes for me. Big, fast, physical, young, great pedigree, will be a force against the run. Huge talent.

3) Carl Lawson - A lot to like outside of the injury history. Strength to power, can bend the edge, great physicality, smart player, can hold the edge. Think he can make an instant impact.

4) Takk McKinley - Another guy where the injury history worries you, and it's hard to truly evaluate him considering he played with that shoulder injury, but I love his quick twitch, length, and his motor is fantastic.

5) T.J. Watt - His brother may be a douche, but that's not a good enough reason not to draft him. Hard not to like his potential. The guy uses his hands like a pro, can stack blocks, and has the same motor his big bubby does. He's still got some filling out to do, but I can see why this guy has creeped into the first round in many mocks.

Lawson and watt would be tv out the window picks for me

This is not the draft to spend a high pick on a S imo....some pretty sutitable ones are gonna be around late

My 5 would be
Willis
Willis
Bowser
Mahomes
Willis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:43 pm 

Gareon Conley- Fits the New NFL prototypical secondary the Steelers aspire to field. The extraordinary length of his arms [33"] in addition to outstanding ball skills makes him ideal as a press-man cover corner. Then throw in he's big, fast and agile. It's a Wrap!

T.J. Watt- Fills The Biggest need on the defensive side of the ball for Pittsburgh. Ideal length for pass rusher [6'4 33+" arms]... check. Athleticism... check. Height-Speed-Weight... check. Tackling machine... check. Ideal pass rushing prospect ready for the NFL.

Jarrad Davis- Fills a big need with Timmons gone. Sideline to sideline backer with a nose for the football. Outstanding length [6'1 33+" arms] athleticism... check. Height-Speed-Weight... check. Tackling machine... check.

Obi Melifonwu- Fits the New NFL prototypical secondary the Steelers aspire to field. At 6'4 224 with 32.5" long arms gives him elite length as a cover safety. Athleticism off the charts... check. Height-Speed-Weight... check. Is also solid as a traditional box safety playing close to the LOS.

Taco Charlton- Not sure where he fits. DE? OLB? Charlton definitely checks all the same boxes as the 4 listed above. The question becomes. Do you add 15-20 lbs and play him at 5 tech? Do you drop his weight 15 lbs and play him at OLB? I think Charlton is in the running for 1. 30 it would be intriguing to see how/where he'd fit in the defense.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:59 pm 

TB wrote:

His brother is a non-stop ass-kicking machine. If TJ has even 1/2 of that motor, I want him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:24 pm 

CB King
CB Conley
CB Awuzie
OLB Watt
OLB Bowser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:29 pm 

Budda Baker - Absolutely love this play making machine. My #1 choice.

TJ Watt - high motor, tons of flexibility, just scratching the surface.

Gareon Conley - solid CB, big game experience, contributor day 1

Obi Melifonwu - big physical fast Cam Chancellor like prospect.

Jordan Willis / Jarrad Davis tie for #5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:52 pm 

Guys I would take before a trade down:
1. Myles Garrett-- best freak edge rusher in the draft
2. Solomon Thomas-- see above, except probably higher floor
3. Marshon Lattimore-- best CB
4. Jamal Adams- best Safety
5. Malik Hooker-- young and almost as good as Adams
6. Patrick Mahomes- HOF type QB
7. Jordan Willis- stud. My favorite Edge in class... just don't see the issues other are hung on. So minor in comparison with his positives.
8. Gareon Conley- maybe better than Lattimore
9. David Njoku- would be an amazing add to this offense
10. O.J. Howard- I worry a little that he will be solid but not spectacular in the NFL. Never really challenged with coverage
11. Tyus Bowser- Think he can do it all better than any other edge in class
12. Kevin King- not sure he isn't better than Lattimore or Conley.
13. Hasson Reddick- not the easiest fit but I can project him to starter at ILB
14. Obu Melinfonwu- I don't think you want him to play out of the box safety but as a CBish Safety slot defender, has tools
15. Budda Baker- can absolutely do it all from the slot-- I think the NFL game is moving away from smaller slot defenders, though.. only reason I don't have him higher.

If I couldn't trade down, my next two are Jarrad Davis, Joe Mixon, and Mike Williams.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:55 am 

SteelerChef wrote:

My 5 would be
Willis
Willis
Bowser
Mahomes
Willis

I am pretty close to ^this^ but

Willis
Bowser
Jarrad Davis
Tre'Davious White
Gareon Conley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:27 am 

By the way, Josh Norris (Rotoworld/NBC) just released a mock where 16 of the 18 players I listed, including Bowser, Willis, and all three CBs were gone before 1.30. Basically it was a choice between Corey Davis, Watt, and Buddha Baker-- he chose Davis.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:06 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Guys I would take before a trade down:
1. Myles Garrett-- best freak edge rusher in the draft
2. Solomon Thomas-- see above, except probably higher floor
3. Marshon Lattimore-- best CB
4. Jamal Adams- best Safety
5. Malik Hooker-- young and almost as good as Adams
6. Patrick Mahomes- HOF type QB
7. Jordan Willis- stud. My favorite Edge in class... just don't see the issues other are hung on. So minor in comparison with his positives.
8. Gareon Conley- maybe better than Lattimore
9. David Njoku- would be an amazing add to this offense
10. O.J. Howard- I worry a little that he will be solid but not spectacular in the NFL. Never really challenged with coverage
11. Tyus Bowser- Think he can do it all better than any other edge in class
12. Kevin King- not sure he isn't better than Lattimore or Conley.
13. Hasson Reddick- not the easiest fit but I can project him to starter at ILB
14. Obu Melinfonwu- I don't think you want him to play out of the box safety but as a CBish Safety slot defender, has tools
15. Budda Baker- can absolutely do it all from the slot-- I think the NFL game is moving away from smaller slot defenders, though.. only reason I don't have him higher.

If I couldn't trade down, my next two are Jarrad Davis, Joe Mixon, and Mike Williams.

The good news is....that's a mighty long list and it is possible several will be on the board at #30. if there is a "run" on QBs, OL, WR, the odds increase.

It looks to me the most likely scenario will have the BPA available as a safety/CB/slot corner at #30. I despise reaching to fill a need so I am dead set against taking an OLB just because he is the next highest rated OLB on their board. I just don't love any of the EDGE guys well enough to believe they will be the BPA at 1.30.

Conley, Njoku, Baker, Obi, Tre White are my top 5 as a type today that are most likely to be avail at 1.30.

you are right to be concerned about OJ Howard. word around Bama was he isn't too bright so they kept things simple for him and that limited his impact. He is a gifted athlete. i am concerned that he will not understand complex passing concepts well enough to be a top flight nfl TE.