It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dan Rooney Dead
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:32 pm 

I don't believe in dog and pony shows and I don't believe in coercion. Teams should hire who they want and not put candidates they don't really want through phony interviews.

DR had good intentions (and it was probably a good PR move), but he was supporting a form of dishonesty and fairness theatre.

The Rooney Rule is the TSA of the NFL. It's just a ruse, and everyone knows it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:39 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
I don't believe in dog and pony shows and I don't believe in coercion. Teams should hire who they want and not put candidates they don't really want through phony interviews.

DR had good intentions (and it was probably a good PR move), but he was supporting a form of dishonesty and fairness theatre.

Not going to debate the efficacy or appropriateness of the Rooney Rule with you.

This is a thread honoring Dan Rooney -- I think it should be limited to just that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:42 pm 

Dan smith enjoy that caillou sig file brah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:53 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

Do you believe in virtue, in the original pre-modern and conservative ancient sense? Because you are not exercising it in making such a post in such a thread. I yield the floor to your vulgarity.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:09 pm 

Right, because in no other news report of DRs death were the plusses and minuses of the Rooney Rule not discussed. In fact, it was discussed in most of them. And sometimes the rule was criticized for not going far enough.

Too much time at the University bubble turns formerly open minded people into Cotton Mather. My joke clearly implied Rooney deserved to get into heaven. Unless there's something I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:09 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Right, because in no other news report of DRs death were the plusses and minuses of the Rooney Rule not discussed. In fact, it was discussed in most of them. And sometimes the rule was criticized for not going far enough.

Too much time at the University bubble turns formerly open minded people into Cotton Mather. My joke clearly implied Rooney deserved to get into heaven. Unless there's something I don't know.

Assessment of his life is fine. A snarky political joke in response to the announcement of his passing strikes a vulgar note. The problem is that you don't even know what virtue means, but you think you do. I know you pore over the pages of the Nicomachean Ethics nightly because you care so much about virtue.

As usual, my ethics are more, not less conservative than yours. Someday you might actually read something ancient and modern side by side and understand my gripe. It is not a liberal bias. It is an ancient one. Post whatever you want. I thought the joke in bad taste, not inaccurate. But because you are so thoroughly modern, taste has no place in ethics. How liberal!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:56 pm 

poor Lit the little choo choo wants so desperately to hold serve against Dan Smith.....

it's kinda cute in a pathetic and sad way.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:36 pm 

Time in the PC faculty lounge does to a man's sense of humor what feminism did to Sarah Silverman's or steroids did to Joe Piscopo's.

Some think having the outlook and temperament of a Dickensian government file clerk is a badge of honor.

I dissent from that viewpoint.

Rooney may get into heaven, the Facebook killer into hell, but PC scolds will be forever stuck in purgatory.

I also find anger over who gets into heaven and hell by people who probably don't believe in heaven and hell to be quite amusing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:07 pm 

Right on ice box jeans ....right on

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:11 am 

superk wrote:
poor Lit the little choo choo wants so desperately to hold serve against Dan Smith.....

it's kinda cute in a pathetic and sad way.....

:roll:

Notice your hero did not respond to my post, but pivoted to some nonsense about being politically correct. He's too clever to get drawn into the actual substance of my claims because he knows he has no idea. The fact that he identifies being pc with a complaint about bad taste based in virtue ethics shows his ignorance. Notice also that you are too stupid to notice this is what he has done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next