It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: If Edge Rusher in Rd 1 - Who
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:11 am 

Ok so say we do go Edge Rusher in Rd 1 this draft who do you like and why. We need a guy with size, speed (quick start), strength and bend who can also stop the run.

Go with the following guys are already gone in the draft:
Myles Garret (of course as he is only absolute true Edge Rusher with every skill)
Soloman Thomas
Derek Barnett
Taco Charlton

So who do you want out of (my questions in parenthesis):
Charles Harris (Run defense lacks, solid penetrator and can drop a bit and finishes off plays)
Carl Lawson (Lacks bend but is very aggressive/physical, very quick first step off the ball, early career injuries, not sure if he can drop, like him alot though)
T.J. Watt (Smart, hard working player very good against run, very limited playing time at End, might fit 4-3 End better, very raw and will need alot of time to develop but could end up very good)
Takkarist McKinley (He seems to have all the tools but is toughest to judge. Quick off the ball, fast in pursuit, but has to get stronger. A bit raw and stiff at times buy very Athletic, very high ceiling but can he reach it)
Dawuane Smoot (Interesting but a good bit early to take, might not even fit Rush End. Will start somewhere but might be inside)
Tim Williams (A ton of ability as rush end, though a bit light and run support iffy, too weed happy and one of the main guys in draft you'd expect to eventually be suspended though NFL policies)
Derek Rivers
Haason Reddick (I think he is more suited for ILB, to light and lacks strength for Edge rusher, could be great inside)
Jordan Willis (Solid on the edge against the run but really lacks pass rush skills - to early to consider)
Tyus Bowser (Quick off the ball, athletic but very raw and lacks strength and ideal size, good upside - to early to consider)
Ryan Anderson (Smart hard worker who will start in pros but ceiling could be limited and not sure if he should be inside or outside - to early to consider)
Tarell Basham (Has some very good traits for Edge though not enough bend or strength, could be interesting later in draft - way to early to consider)

I think choice would be between Harris, Lawson, Watt and McKinley at this point. I like Lawson a good bit but wonder if it is to early. McKinley I think may be the best of the group but honesty having trouble deciding if he truly is or not. Harris is solid for sure. Watt might have a long way to get there.

For now I have them:
Lawson,
McKinley
Harris
Watt

Post subject: Re: If Edge Rusher in Rd 1 - Who
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:14 am 

Taco Charlton might be the greatest name in sports.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:18 am 

Laying the Wood wrote:

False: http://247sports.com/Player/Kobe-Buffalomeat-46038724

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:19 am 

Yeah but you'd have to find a way to move up to get two 1st round picks to get Jabrill Peppers and Taco Charlton.

You have to have Peppers with your Taco.

I am sure you could take the joke further with Malik Hooker and Jake Butt, alas lost focus on discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:01 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:

I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:17 pm 

In order:

Willis
Watt
Bowser
Lawson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:19 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:

Pretty beefy name

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:09 pm 

Quote:
Tyus Bowser (Quick off the ball, athletic but very raw and lacks strength and ideal size, good upside - to early to consider)

He is never going to be James Harrison...That being said. James Harrison though very under rated in coverage cannot cover the deep 1/2 from the LOS. Bowser is not a classic Steelers 34 OLB. He wins at the LOS with length and violent hands. Can Bowser stack an OT and make plays in the run game...No. I can't think of many current 34 OLB's who can. Bowser is plenty strong enough to stack tight ends at the LOS. He is far less raw than Porter or Dupree prior to being drafted by the Steelers.

In other words...I am not sure if he is to early to consider.

Realistic options for the Steelers at linebacker...I don't buy into this bullshit edge versus LB's. I buy into football players who help win games.

Reddick
Watt
Tak
Bowser
Anderson

Every player shows the ability to attack the passer and drop into coverage. The modern NFL is about being multiple...3 down players are a must in the 1st round

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:32 pm 

I'll tell you who I don't want, especially in the 1st...
McKinley, Smoot, Williams, Rivers, Willis, Bowser. All way overrated.
I like Watt, but I think he's closer to a 3rd round talent than 1st. He'll be gone before the Steelers 2nd pick...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:40 pm 

I think your characterizations are fair, for the most part. I do not think Jordan Willis's pass rush skills are lacking, though-- he has terrific production and his hand use is exceptional.

I see it this way:

Charles Harris: I feel a little less down on him than I was before his pro day-- but the combine test results are a bit concerning. Was he tired? Injured? Bad at learning the skill tests? Unmotivated? I think he's best suited as a 4-3 Off Ball LB who blitzes (sorta like Vic Beasley after taxes). That way, he can use his coverage skills more, and he can rush the QB without banging on an OT all day.

Carl Lawson: I think Lawson would probably work in PIT, but if my job is on the line, I'm labeling him as a future 4-3 DE-- and probably a very good one, if he can stay healthy.

T.J. Watt: I'm not opposed to the idea, but I recognize that he's a BIG project. he has tools, but little idea of what to do with them. Like the Steelers reportedly do, I think 1.30 is early for him.

Takkarist McKinley: I don't think he's athletic at all. He also seems almost irrevocably unsmart. He has problems whenever engaged by a blocker and his athletic testing was incredibly bad. He's the leader in the clubhouse for "probable biggest bust in the draft".

Dawuane Smoot: No earlier than day 3. JAG

Tim Williams: Too much baggage, too old, not enough athleticism to be a good risk as a top 100 pick

Derek Rivers: I like it-- definitely needs work but he combines traits, athletic profile, and hustle. It appears on tape that he got a bit stuck when his initial move failed or when he got tired. There's a lot of film of him latched on to OTs while the QB or run went elsewhere. I think it's postseason everyone-looking-for-a-sleeper that has inflated his price tag beyond his actual value. He would be a good 2nd round pick, at or around TJ Watt and before Biegel.

Haason Reddick: It's a brand new world in the NFL, so it wouldn't surprise me if the 3-4 ROLBs of the future look more like Reddick than DeMarcus Ware. I think he *could* work in Pittsburgh, but it would require a re-write of the defense. Once again, a guy who is suited better to be a blitzer vs an edge rusher.

Jordan Willis: He's the best all-around 3-4 capable edge in this draft and arguably the most ready to play of all the top guys. His freakish first step is going to win a lot of battles-- working on his counter move will cement him as a starter. He played in an extremely disciplined defensive system, so shows great ability and smarts vs the run and in contain. If you doubt his pass rush skills, watch him on 3rd downs and in the entire WVU game or Senior Bowl game. He just blows by tackles and shows bend and tools with his hands. On top of that, he's a freak of nature in terms of tape study ethic. Says he watches 4-6 hours of film per day. Even if that's really 2-3 hours, that's ridiculous. He's also young and reportedly extremely smart. Not everyone agrees with my assessment, but I've seen him in 1st round last two weeks in 3 reputable mocks... two of which were before 1.30 and the other he was picked for the Steelers.

Tyus Bowser: A year or so in the James Harrison weightlifting program, he will have more lower body strength-- but, in the meantime, he is the best coverage edge player in the draft and he has shown a lot of ability rushing the passer and diagnosing/attacking run plays. He would immediately be your package LB/S hybrid in dime and can provide relief at the Edge, with little risk. He's also underaged and will only get better physically.

Ryan Anderson: Good college player who isn't special enough in any one area to succeed in NFL. Not a top 100 player.

Tarell Basham: Nice rotational guy to take a chance on... day 3.

Too early but I like them...

Vince Biegel: Maybe not the upside of Watt but well-coached and enough athleticism to take a shot. Late Day 2.

Pita Taumoepenu: THE premier speed rusher in the draft, bar none. He doesn't have enough base to be an early every down player vs the run, but as a stunt rusher-- coming in in passing situations-- he has the chance to be elite. He could have 10 sacks/yr, playing on in passing situations. Overwhelms OTs with steps 2-3, and does it over and over with seemingly endless energy reserves to the point where they get flustered and embarrassed. He probably goes Rd 5 or 6, but I'd have no problem drafting him as a double dip from comp pick rd 3 onwards.

I have them in this order:
1. Jordan Willis
2. Tyus Bowser
3. Lawson
4. Watt
4. Rivers
6. Harris
7. Biegel
8. Taumeopenu
9. Williams
10. Basham
11. Smoot
12. Anderson
DND McKinley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next