It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martavis Bryant
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:56 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Not that you do not realize this, but granting you everything you are saying does not affect the validity of others' claims that the offense is completely different and much better with MB on the field. Yeah, MB could improve a lot and that should terrify the shit out of people. But even as inconsistent as he HAS BEEN, he STILL made the offense much more deadly than it has been without him.
Absolutely. I don't mean to suggest he doesn't. You can see the defense is worried about him simply because of his size and speed. I just wish the dude would get his head on straight and make people afraid of his skills, not natural talent or athletic ability. You can see his lack of concentration and basic "give a shit" when he drops passes.

You are what you put on film. With this you have to agree, yes?

I do agree. I also have much hope the new slightly more beefy Martavis is a more professional Martavis. If he never bother working out before or working on his craft, I hopeful the working out indicates also a commitment to get better at his craft.

Quixotic wrote:
I’ve said this before. What is valuable about Bryant is that he can take over a game about 3-4 times a year. And every defense has to play him as if this is the game. And that opens up all kinds of stuff for AB, Bell, and tight ends.

I think Scunge is right to be worried about WR, but I stand by my claim that it does not matter who we draft at WR this year for this year. He will not have the impact Bryant will if he returns. Not even close. Team needs Bryant back badly or it is going to be the KC playoff game again over and over again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:01 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Stumbled upon the following - AB and MB full game highlights :

Take note of MB's work in those two games. Multiple dropped passes.

Many of which would have changed the outcome of the game. Did catch a bomb and one in traffic.

He does open up the middle and short for AB, however, but was very inconsistent and missed a free play on a go route.

A lot of potential, but not close yet.

And Shaq has missed some key free throws. Doesn't mean Shaq wasn't great. At the end of the day, what makes Bryant special is he has great size coupled with amazing speed. That is a rare combo. If he was as skilled as AB, Bryant would be a top five receiver of all time. But Bryant doesn't need to be that skilled to be a legit top tier No. 1 WR. Bitching about his okay skills is like bitching about Shaq's free throws.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:31 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
I think Scunge is right to be worried about WR, but I stand by my claim that it does not matter who we draft at WR this year for this year. He will not have the impact Bryant will if he returns. Not even close. Team needs Bryant back badly or it is going to be the KC playoff game again over and over again.

We won't be lucky enough again to face a team like MIA or KC in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:30 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

We won't be lucky enough again to face a team like MIA or KC in the playoffs.

Probably not, but we very well may do nothing but kick field goals a few times again. Offense seems lost inside the 20.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:46 am 

Gentlemen, thought your intentions are noble, let the beating stop. The horse is dead.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:53 am 

We should see a decision on Bryant's reinstatement any day now. :?:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:23 pm 

Donte Stallworth was drunk and high and ran over a pedestrian, killing him. He got a year but was reinstated after the super bowl.

How in the hell could dumbfuck Roger justify NOT reinstating Bryant for drinking cough syrup? I mean, it just isn't going to go down like that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:56 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Donte Stallworth was drunk and high and ran over a pedestrian, killing him. He got a year but was reinstated after the super bowl.

How in the hell could dumbfuck Roger justify NOT reinstating Bryant for drinking cough syrup? I mean, it just isn't going to go down like that.

2009 was a long, long time ago in NFL years. The league has made some major revisions (some written, most not) over their conduct rules since then.

If that Stallworth killing happened today, he'd be gone from this league for a long, long time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:24 am 

hey, the guy was jaywalking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:17 am 

I am sorry but it would be just like Goodel to wait until AFTER the draft before reinstating Bryant. The Steelers need to know, need to have that information but it would be just like Goodel to twist the knife and withhold the info and make the Steelers wait, to where they psych themselves out and take a WR high because they just don't know.

And that is the point, we just don't know. People are just counting the time that he was officially suspended and then just blindly assuming that one year later on the nose, bam, he is reinstated. Ask Tanard Jackson why it took him 18 months to get reinstated. He was a S who played for Washington, that is how long he went for one of his suspensions.

DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING. That is why if I am the Steelers I spend a 3rd round pick on a WR this draft and if somebody like Corey Davis or Chris Godwin is there at the end of round 2, I probably make them the pick.

It isn't just the deep threat that we are missing with Bryant, we are also missing another big bodied WR in general who can run good routes and be a threat in the redzone. You look at what Ben was able to do throwing to a big bodied WR like Jericho Cotchery. He was a big possession WR but he was taller, had more weight and Ben connected with him on 10 TDs his last year in Pittsburgh. I just don't see Eli Rogers being a big TD producer, and sometimes having a taller, bigger possession WR is of more value in the end zone and for picking up first downs. Rogers can be covered and shut down easier but a taller WR has more of a catch radius, is able to box out a defender, can produce more free easy plays to move the chains.

It seems like we have two types of WRs in this offense, those that fall in the camp of Brown/Rogers and Ayers, and then those that fall into the camp of Bryant/Coates and Bey. But the one ugly duckling, Cobi Hamilton, he was neither fish nor fowl, but isn't is funny that Ben found him in crucial 3rd down situations because he was a big bodied possession type who can run clean routes and get open. There is a need for that type of WR and it is very much worth spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick on, someone who has more talent and speed like a Godwin would fit the bill nicely.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:01 pm 

One step closer...

Quote:
Earlier this week, Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Martavis Bryant posted on Snapchat that he was in New York City and had a “big day” upcoming.

A source told Sporting News Bryant met Thursday with the NFL’s Management Council as part of his efforts for reinstatement from a year-long drug suspension. Among the conditions for being cleared to play again, Bryant was told to assemble a plan detailing safeguards that would help him prevent a relapse upon returning to Pittsburgh, the source said.

Bryant also will have to meet with Commissioner Roger Goodell or one of his representatives once the league’s medical director and medical advisor submit their recommendation about reinstatement per the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/ma ... reid8f79r3

Hoping Martavis was going to be reinstated before the draft but it's not looking likely.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:25 am 

It's absolutely ludicrous that they didn't inform Martavis of the conditions soon enough to allow for this to be resolved before the draft. Disgusting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:06 am 
bradshaw2ben wrote:
It's absolutely ludicrous that they didn't inform Martavis of the conditions soon enough to allow for this to be resolved before the draft. Disgusting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:57 am 

You know B2B, who knows if that is the case or not? I have been saying for some time now, that it might not just be an automatic approval after his year was up. Washington's former S Tanard Jackson once had to wait 18 months before he was reinstated.

I just have no optimism with Bryant. His agent, his people in his corner, his support group, they did not make contact with former year long suspended players? They did not seek advice, counsel on what they did to get reinstated? Really? Did they not do that? Do their due diligence and try and anticipate what Bryant might need?

Again, this all somehow comes as a shock with Bryant? And people still blindly believe that this is all a formality and that he will come back and have a monster season with 100 catches, for 1800 yards and 20 TDs?

If Corey Davis is there at pick 30, I take him without a second thought, I don't care what edge rusher is available. If we go LB or CB in round 1 and Chris Godwin is there at pick 62, I take him.

This offense is not going to get it done without a legitimate WR opposite of Brown. Gambling on Bryant's reinstatement and subsequent clean behavior, or Coates hand and fragile ego is a huge mistake.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:21 am 

The one thing about Bryant coming back from suspension and realizing his potential is that it is really, really so against the odds. I mean the odds are so ridiculous that the Steelers should spend a high pick on a WR in this draft.

I have looked over the list of suspended players the past 10 years and it is grim. Show me a player who was suspended for 10 games, suspended for an entire season and then had a come to Jesus moment, cleaned up his act and then emerged as a great player. All I see are players that continue the downward spiral, continue to get suspended, get suspended indefinitely, move from team to team, and never live up to their potential.

My outlook on Bryant is that I don't expect anything from him and if he does get reinstated, if he does play well, then great, but it does not stop me from taking a WR high in this year's draft, first or second round.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:17 am 

Why didn't Bryant already have a plan together? Seems pretty reasonable to have a plan in place for a guy who failed god knows how many drug tests and been suspended multiple times. If I'd been out for a year and was trying to prove I could stay clean and my professional career depended on it, I would've had a goddamn dossier showing every little detail of what I had done up to now and what I plan to do going forward to stay clean.

Everything the Steelers have done and said this offseason suggest they're not expecting to count on him this season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:16 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

NFL doesn't owe us anything.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:58 am 

Scunge wrote:
The one thing about Bryant coming back from suspension and realizing his potential is that it is really, really so against the odds. I mean the odds are so ridiculous that the Steelers should spend a high pick on a WR in this draft.

I have looked over the list of suspended players the past 10 years and it is grim. Show me a player who was suspended for 10 games, suspended for an entire season and then had a come to Jesus moment, cleaned up his act and then emerged as a great player. All I see are players that continue the downward spiral, continue to get suspended, get suspended indefinitely, move from team to team, and never live up to their potential.

My outlook on Bryant is that I don't expect anything from him and if he does get reinstated, if he does play well, then great, but it does not stop me from taking a WR high in this year's draft, first or second round.

There's a first time for everything Scunge. Bryant's abilities are too superior to just write off/ignore. I believe in giving second chances to those that make mistakes, especially in their youth. It is to be expected. We were all young at some point and made our share of mistakes. Someone gave us that second, third, fourth etc... chance at success.
That said, I do agree with the option of drafting a WR but not as high as a 1st, 2nd or even the first of their 3rd RND. Much, much more important needs for this team than a WR. I believe the 'legitimate' 1st RND WR's will be long gone by 1. 30 anyway. I would not panic reach for one at 1.30 if the projected 1st RND'ers are gone. Pass rush has to be addressed. Simply put. Inside backer should be higher on the priority list these days. If they look at WR I think the Steelers do what they do every draft and either draft one at the end of day 2 or wait and take one day 3. JMO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:11 am 

Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

NFL doesn't owe us anything.

They owe their teams! They owe their players. IDGAF about the fanbase.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:13 am 
Martavis is the most talented WR in the NFL since Randy Moss. Legit HOF talent. You do whatever you can to hold to that and make the most of it the last 2 yrs of his rookie deal because he isnt staying here.

This a deep draft in at least 3 Steeler need areas. I am hoping like hell they trade down in the 1st and pick up at least a 4 and 6.

Right now their are only 2 players who might drop to 30 Id consider not trading down for.

Jordan Willis and Pat Mahomes. I will be somewhat disappointed if we stay at 30 and take anyone else who has even an outside chance of being there.

All that said. I am finding a way to get some JuJu at WR if I am Colbert in this draft. I think he will be there in the 3rd. Bug Howard I would consider spending a 5th on if we can trade down and get more picks JuJu Bug and AB has some big potential even considering we would be cheaping out at WR

Last edited by SteelerChef on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:16 am 

Fully Agreed B2B. Where's the 'Transparency' the NFL claims to be about? I do agree too with the post above suggesting it is Bryant's responsibility to research into what hoops he has to jump through as the process unfolds. At the same time you'd think the players association would be very 'jonny on the spot' with any/all information regarding what Bryant will need to do preparation wise. It's a massive failure of communication if this is indeed the case. Yes, Disgusting!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:23 am 
Steelafan77 wrote:
Fully Agreed B2B. Where's the 'Transparency' the NFL claims to be about? I do agree too with the post above suggesting it is Bryant's responsibility to research into what hoops he has to jump through as the process unfolds. At the same time you'd think the players association would be very 'jonny on the spot' with any/all information regarding what Bryant will need to do preparation wise. It's a massive failure of communication if this is indeed the case. Yes, Disgusting!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:26 am 

SteelerChef wrote:
Martavis is the most talented WR in the NFL since Randy Moss. Legit HOF talent. You do whatever you can to hold to that and make the most of it the last 2 yrs of his rookie deal because he isnt staying here.

This a deep draft in at least 3 Steeler need areas. I am hoping like hell they trade down in the 1st and pick up at least a 4 and 6.

Right now their are only 2 players who might drop to 30 Id consider not trading down for.

Jordan Willis and Pat Mahomes. I will be somewhat disappointed if we stay at 30 and take anyone else who has even an outside chance of being there.

You're going to be disappointed then.

0% chance we or any other team takes Jordan Willis in the first round. Steelers have shown no interest at all. Willis is a day 2 player.

0.003% chance we take Mahomes. He won't be at 30 and if he is I doubt we'd take him. Seems pretty clear we're looking for a mid round developmental type QB.

Unless we're blown away in a trade, we aren't moving out of the first round. Giving up that 5th year option is huge. When our pick comes up we'll take all of 30 seconds running up to the podium the way we always do. And we'll probably draft somebody the board hates and they'll probably
turn out to be a good player ala Shazier, Burns, Davis...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:48 am 
Oh I realize thats the more likely scenario but given Willis dropping in some circles I seriously consider moving down

Consider this

2. J Willis OLB
2. Pick your fave here
3. J Jones SS
3. J Smith Schuster WR
4. Q Wilson CB
4. J Mathis OLB
5. M Roberts TE
6. J Clark CB
6. B Howard WR
7. J Jones OLB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:30 pm 

I don't think the Steelers see Willis as an OLB, looks like a DL/play with your hand on the ground player only. Lotta likable traits, but can he bend and flatten on the edge? Play in space? I don't think the Steelers think so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next