It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Martavis Bryant
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:35 pm 

Looks as though he is preparing for a full reinstatement and according to the training he's been doing he's bulked up some. Below is a recent instagram of his training with AF performance. Of course we won't know anything for another two weeks or so. So here's hoping Martavis comes back, and comes back with a vengeance. SBI.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRw4jCklH5Q/

Post subject: Re: Martavis Bryant
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:01 pm 

Let's hope he still has his deep speed. If he still has that, but his the strength to be a better RZ/possession type receiver...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:15 pm 

I guess he's out to prove all the doubters wrong....
......again! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:43 am 

Let's hope he proves that he serious and make us more potent on the offensive side.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:18 am 

Dude needs to be in a recovery program, otherwise he is bound to slip again. $$ didnt keep him clean, his mother didnt keep him clean, prospect of losing his career hasnt kept him clean. He needs a support network - I hope he has one in place.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:28 am 

He didn't need to "bulk up".

Bulking up does nothing to benefit a WR when your best attributes are speed and athleticism.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:35 am 

Steelcody36 wrote:

Bulking up does nothing to benefit a WR when your best attributes are speed and athleticism.

If Martavis stopped being lazy and just took advantage of his frame without sacrificing speed then he may have just improved his ability to both box out defensive backs and win on contested throws. Given his already impressive skill set, Bryant could be even more imposing with the added muscle. So I disagree that bulking up is no benefit so long as the speed is still there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:57 pm 

Martavis always did the work. He just couldn't stay off the weed. He's 25 years old now, and he will have all his speed.

2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2GTsBLbYiA

2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgsoW-kODko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:04 pm 

We get like ~5ish "bulked up in the offseason" fluff pieces every season (along with as many 'slimmed down' fluff pieces), and I've never noticed a player showing any apparent improvement as a result. Which just means we are totally due, right?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:17 pm 

Really pulling for him. He's the difference in this team being very good vs. really great.

Baltostiller wrote:
I can agree to disagree without calling another post "assholic" Maybe you should do the same.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:22 pm 

Exactly TB. Fully Agree. SBI, how can you not root for Martavis. Resurrecting his career will be one of the great NFL stories of 2017.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:54 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
Martavis always did the work.
Not according to Martavis Bryant. He said in an interview earlier this year where he just skated through practice and didn't take care of his body - and just showed up for games. Seeing a PR video of him 'lifting weights' or 'training' in 2015, looks like. . well. . . a public relations move.

We'll see if he can return to the environment that fostered smoking weed and stay away from indulging or being tempted.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:18 pm 

Smashmouth21 wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:

If Martavis stopped being lazy and just took advantage of his frame without sacrificing speed then he may have just improved his ability to both box out defensive backs and win on contested throws. Given his already impressive skill set, Bryant could be even more imposing with the added muscle. So I disagree that bulking up is no benefit so long as the speed is still there.

You can't truly bulk up and keep the same speed, without PED's anyway.

If he somehow can, dude will be Randy Moss JR.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:36 pm 

Steelcody36 wrote:
Smashmouth21 wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:

If you're talking body builder levels of bulk, then sure.

But watching the video in the original post, he's nowhere near that level and could easily maintain his speed while adding the muscle he did. That's an old myth about building muscle. If you build it in the right ways while still focusing on flexibility and functional strength, there's no reason why you can't get stronger without losing speed, and quite possibly even gaining some speed in the process.

Also, he'll never be Randy Moss. Doesn't have the hands to be at that level.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 am 

Single biggest offseason development is Martavis returning.

Let's put it this way. This team got to the conference game without a #2 wr or #1 te. With those two pieces I'm feeling good.

Me, I'll be up on devils tower with my ham radio.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:32 am 

Puff....puff....give!
Don't be messin up the rotation!

Seriously, I agree....this dude could be the difference maker for this offense....if he can just keep his head straight.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:39 am 

Martavis is the only player I can recall belicheck expressing genuine concern about.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:02 am 

Steelcody36 wrote:
Smashmouth21 wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:

Ridiculous. World class sprinters have a lot of muscle for a reason. And it's not because it makes them slower.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:35 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Exactly TB. Fully Agree. SBI, how can you not root for Martavis. Resurrecting his career will be one of the great NFL stories of 2017.

Bah, sure sounds nice, but if the Steelers can't clear the Patsy Wall in 2017, there will be no story.

...and the Steelers won't clear the Patsy Wall with Mikey T. in charge of game planning.

Just ain't happening...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:42 pm 

it's still yggy wrote:
Martavis is the only player I can recall belicheck expressing genuine concern about.

other than Ben, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
it's still yggy wrote:

other than Ben, yes.
That's hilarious. The steelers arguably have the best WR and RB, and Belicheck is only afraid of BR and a 6'4" WR with inconsistent hands and routes?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:11 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
it's still yggy wrote:

other than Ben, yes.
That's hilarious. The steelers arguably have the best WR and RB, and Belicheck is only afraid of BR and a 6'4" WR with inconsistent hands and routes?

those are the only two he mentioned by name, IIRC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:22 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
it's still yggy wrote:

other than Ben, yes.

What have Brown and Bell ever done against the Patriots?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:23 pm 

No, I agree that Belichick was more worried about Ben and happy there was no Bryant.

When Belichick watched tape of Bell running and running and running through those first two playoff games he had to think to himself why the hell are the Steelers treating Bell as if he were Jerome Bettis?

Bell had 4 catches for 3 yards in those 3 playoff games. Belichick was probably shaking his head wondering why the Steelers failed to use this generational, Marshall Faulk type of RB and his receiving gifts. We made it all too easy for NE shut down our offense. He was probably very confident that Bell would be neutralized and that Butler would shadow and limit Brown. He was probably more concerned about Ben and him going off script, improvising and coming up with sandlot type of plays. That is the way I saw it anyway.

But if Bryant were out there starting? If Green was back from concussion protocol and ready to play? See, this is what I am talking about concerning our offense. So many people think Bell and Brown make the offense go, that there is no need for an athletic TE or a WR like Bryant. It is just baloney, this offense is easy to shut down if all you have is Bell and Brown. The offense needs a full complement of players at all the skill positions.

To me it is critical to add a WR and not gamble on Coates and Bryant. I hope the Steelers spend a first or second rounder on a WR, edge rusher in the first be damned.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:46 pm 

Scunge wrote:
The offense needs a full complement of players at all the skill positions.
Do the Pats have a full compliment of skill position players that outshine all others? Teams with less talent than the steelers have won superbowls. No doubt NE has talent. Gronk(mismatch to begin with), Brady, and even Blount has flashes - but he ain't no Bell. Edleman is a great slot guy. Who the fuck else do they have? And I mean players that are head and shoulders above everybody else. The Steelers O line is one of the top 5, maybe top three. Is NE better? Does NE have Shazier, Heyward(I know he didn't play), and Tuitt?

You guys make it sound like Belichick is the only horse trader with horse sense, and that every other team out there doesn't have the collection of best players like NE does. What separates them from everybody else isn't talent, but coaching, imo. NE has made a very clear statement, on multiple occasions, that you can win without HOF players at every position, yet everyone here is calling for HOF pro bowl talent for backups, and if they don't, they can't beat NE.

But you guys are more knowledgable about football than me. Maybe I just don't see it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next