It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Offseason moves begin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:15 pm 

Unless you start a fullback, it's potentially true. RB is probably the other candidate.[/quote]
I'll just say that there are a lot of people in and around the game that would disagree. Some might say that other than the QB, it's the second most important position on the offense.
The strength of anything and everything is it's core...[/quote]

Well one of the two of us is waaaaaaay wrong. You think it could be second most important and I think its arguably least important.

I know this to help support my position Pouncey missed the entire season two years ago and the Steelers offense finished 3rd averaging 395 yards a game and thats missing Bell for half the year. In 2016 the Steelers offense ranked 5th with 375 yards a game and a healthy Bell for most of the year (suspension aside). Thats a hard one to dispute, but I bet someone will try. There is zero doubt in my mind we would have a more balanced and therefore better team with a better chance to win it all if we took the $11MM being paid to an inconsequential position like center and spent it on the defense for a stud OLB or CB. BJ Finney looked awesome in the game he started, and after 3 or 4 games to get the nuances of the position down, he would do just fine for about $750,000 a year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:25 pm 

Charles Demarr wrote:
Great offseason thus far...Davon House and Jayrone Elliot both sign with the Packers while in Pittsburgh. What a joke....

Maybe they have a nice little guest kiosk set up for FAs after They meet with the Steelers brass...

Guest computer, fax, Keurig......whatever they need to close deals elsewhere.
Very courteous.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:35 pm 

Stinger8 wrote:
Unless you start a fullback, it's potentially true. RB is probably the other candidate.

I'll just say that there are a lot of people in and around the game that would disagree. Some might say that other than the QB, it's the second most important position on the offense.
The strength of anything and everything is it's core...[/quote]

Well one of the two of us is waaaaaaay wrong. You think it could be second most important and I think its arguably least important.

I know this to help support my position Pouncey missed the entire season two years ago and the Steelers offense finished 3rd averaging 395 yards a game and thats missing Bell for half the year. In 2016 the Steelers offense ranked 5th with 375 yards a game and a healthy Bell for most of the year (suspension aside). Thats a hard one to dispute, but I bet someone will try. There is zero doubt in my mind we would have a more balanced and therefore better team with a better chance to win it all if we took the $11MM being paid to an inconsequential position like center and spent it on the defense for a stud OLB or CB. BJ Finney looked awesome in the game he started, and after 3 or 4 games to get the nuances of the position down, he would do just fine for about $750,000 a year.[/quote]

Except my position isn't Pouncey as opposed to Wallace, or whether or not he is overpaid. Or even where the offense is ranked and how many yards they rushed for.
It's over the ridiculous notion that the center is the least important position on the starting units. Anyone that's ever played the game at any level knows that's not true. Ask Ben Roethlisbeerger who his most important offensive team mate is. Ask the other members of the O-line who holds the unit together.
We get it...you hate Pouncey for some reason. You think he's overpaid. You believe that if they could rid themselves of his anchor of a contract, they would sign all these kick ass defenders. You've made that clear...no doubt about that!

We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye. -Clark W. Griswald
#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:49 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:
Great offseason thus far...Davon House and Jayrone Elliot both sign with the Packers while in Pittsburgh. What a joke....

Maybe they have a nice little guest kiosk set up for FAs after They meet with the Steelers brass...

Guest computer, fax, Keurig......whatever they need to close deals elsewhere.
Very courteous.

Ha. That's funny!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:04 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Stinger8 wrote:
Stairway 2 Seven wrote:
Paying almost $9 million dollars a year for a center really seems smart.

Cap hit this year is $11MM 4th highest paid player on the team, in 2018 $10.5MM, 2019$10.5MM. This for arguably the least important position of the starting 22. The good news is when the deal is up, Ben retires and we can finish off rebuilding our defense :lol:

Do you think BB would pay any center $11MM?? Absurd

Pouncey is the 5th highest paid center in the NFL.

Back in 2006, the Patriots extended Dan Koppen to a 4 yr/$20m deal, making him the 5th highest paid center in the NFL.

So.....yeah. Given the current market rate for a center, BB would probably pay that amount of $.

In 2017 Pouncey will have an $11MM cap hit, Hudson $7MM, Mike Pouncey $9MM, Mack $9MM and Travis Frederick (the best center in the league) $4.5MM. Its disingenuous to assert Pouncey is the 5th highest paid center, next year he has the highest cap hit (along with the last couple of years), hence he is the highest paid.
Here you go
http://overthecap.com/position/center/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:15 pm 

Stinger8 wrote:
In 2017 Pouncey will have an $11MM cap hit, Hudson $7MM, Mike Pouncey $9MM, Mack $9MM and Travis Frederick (the best center in the league) $4.5MM. Its disingenuous to assert Pouncey is the 5th highest paid center, next year he has the highest cap hit (along with the last couple of years), hence he is the highest paid.
Here you go
http://overthecap.com/position/center/

11 million, big woop.

I'll throw a troll bomb in the room.

Honestly, is the team getting a good ROI on Ben's play lately? You could pay the defense nicely if Rolly Polly Roethlisberger did a restructure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:11 pm 

Stinger8 wrote:
$11MM being paid to an inconsequential position like center

Let's not exaggerate. Center will never be an inconsequential position.

I seem to remember back in the day people used to talk about center being the MOST important position of the line, and it was lucky we had such a good one in Webster and then Dawson. Or is it that the NFL has changed such that the center used to be the most important but it no longer is?

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 pm 

Here I was all excited for FA. I know... an exercise in futility. I figured they would re-sign their usual and maybe extend 1,2 maybe 3 in need of a C2/3. With the cap jumping up and the extra scratch they have I was hoping to see a 'wow' FA signing. Bummed out. Oh well moving on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:12 pm 

I felt the same way I thought this year might have been different in regards to money and window with Ben closing but like you said lets worry about the draft. They need to hit a grand slam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 pm 

I must say, I thought for sure they would at least bring in one fairly decent ascending C2 player to add to the roster. So I am a bit disappointed only because all 32 teams (including the SB champ Patriots as well as the bottom feeding browns) all have the same shot at the draft. We'll all go in to the draft, status quo, and all come out status quo. No immediate ground to be gained by anyone. A smart free agent pickup was the little chance, the little hope, to gain some ground on others. Didn't happen, they Bucco'd!!!

Colbert has one fucking "cake" GM gig doesn't he? Sit around all off-season smok'in and jok'in, then take your scout team's big board and get someone to "RUN TO THE PODIUM" when its our pick/turn.

However, at this point in the process, and KNOWING the way the Steelers operate if they signed say a Zack Brown and either a Revis or a Verner type veteran depth CB, I'd have to call the pre-draft off-season a success. AT least filling a few holes on the roster to be able to go best player available in the draft. They do that I'll be happy even though, I too believe they let a chance to gain ground, slip away.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03 am 

The obvious holes will get filled off the bargain bin pre-draft, ala Justin Hunter. It's what we do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:52 am 

Ice wrote:
The obvious holes will get filled off the bargain bin pre-draft, ala Justin Hunter. It's what we do.

If you fill a hole with a hole, is it still a hole?

We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye. -Clark W. Griswald
#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:50 am 

Richard Sherman is reportedly on the trading block for the "right deal".

What would it take?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:37 am 

Steelers won't pony up 6.5 for Connor Barwin. They might offer 4 Kenny Chesney tickets at Heinz Field for Sherman. Then it's just a waiting game. ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:23 am 

Anyone remember the away game at Cincy last year? Here are few posts from the game thread.

GreekSteel wrote:
burkhead has been hurting us..we need to take that little pos out

Luca Brasi wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Hill hurt.

Normally I don't celebrate that but am now.

And Burkhead just keeps it going

StillerInCT wrote:
Rex Burkhead :lol:

Was at the game with the Mrs. and we watched that little Rex Burkhead destroy our defense. I remember asking the Bengals fans next to me why in the hell Burkhead kept getting pulled to give Bernard and Hill touches, because while Bernard was busy doing nothing, Burkhead was gashing our D.

I know it's old news, but I was really hoping the Steelers would take a look at him.

Of course, the Pats signed him on a 1-year, $3.15M deal.

SMH.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:52 am 

The Pats are definitely not standing pat. The Steelers are.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:47 am 

I don't know if anybody remembers, but when BR was asked about (offensive) personnel at the end of the season, he said :

Quote:
I like who we have right now

Insinuating that the WR group is fine, and he doesn't need anybody else. Other than MB back at camp, I don't see any major high profile moves on offense. They seem to be just fine with AB, Rogers, Coates, DHB, Hamilton, Ayers.

Defense, on the other hand. . .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:48 am 

Obviously wrote:

Aren't you happy with just making it to the AFCCG? I mean that's what we should settle for every year. The Super Bowl is too large of a goal for this team
(Am I doing it right?)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:41 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Obviously wrote:

Aren't you happy with just making it to the AFCCG? I mean that's what we should settle for every year. The Super Bowl is too large of a goal for this team
(Am I doing it right?)

Perfect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:29 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I don't know if anybody remembers, but when BR was asked about (offensive) personnel at the end of the season, he said :

Quote:

Insinuating that the WR group is fine, and he doesn't need anybody else. Other than MB back at camp, I don't see any major high profile moves on offense. They seem to be just fine with AB, Rogers, Coates, DHB, Hamilton, Ayers.

This from the guy who said he though his 2008 OL was good?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:32 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

Quote:

This from the guy who said he though his 2008 OL was good?

Right. Typical Roethlisberger...always has his teammates back, and never going to throw them under the bus.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:05 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Anyone remember the away game at Cincy last year? Here are few posts from the game thread.

GreekSteel wrote:
burkhead has been hurting us..we need to take that little pos out

Luca Brasi wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Hill hurt.

Normally I don't celebrate that but am now.

And Burkhead just keeps it going

StillerInCT wrote:
Rex Burkhead :lol:

Was at the game with the Mrs. and we watched that little Rex Burkhead destroy our defense. I remember asking the Bengals fans next to me why in the hell Burkhead kept getting pulled to give Bernard and Hill touches, because while Bernard was busy doing nothing, Burkhead was gashing our D.

I know it's old news, but I was really hoping the Steelers would take a look at him.

Of course, the Pats signed him on a 1-year, $3.15M deal.

SMH.

White RBs get no respect.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:12 pm 

1.If they had signed Burkhead, and Barwin they would have been perfect fits and would have freed up 2 draft picks that could have been used for other positions or to trade up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:41 pm 

cop1211 wrote:
1.If they had signed Burkhead, and Barwin they would have been perfect fits and would have freed up 2 draft picks that could have been used for other positions or to trade up.

Wait! That makes too much sense...

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:59 pm 

I agree would have been have really nice to add Burkhead would have really help the backup Rb spot. Barwin would have been nice but I be ok with adding an OLB in the draft

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next