It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jets vs. Steelers: Five Bold Predictions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:44 pm 

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/11/8/7177533/ny-jets-vs-steelers-five-bold-predictions

Quote:

Disclaimer: A Bold Prediction is not something that is likely or probable to happen. Bold Predictions are guesses that are beyond what anyone can reasonably expect to happen, but not so far as to be physically impossible. Saying that Michael Vick is going to throw for 162 yards and one touchdown is not a bold prediction, nor is saying that Chris Ivory will run for 423 yards and eight touchdowns. By definition, Bold Predictions are unlikely, but not impossible, to occur. Since this is a Jets site, they are also pro-Jets predictions. As always, the Final Score prediction is meant to be realistic, not a Bold Prediction.

These are dark days for the Jets and darker days for Bold Predictions. I mean, what qualifies as a Bold Prediction these days? The Jets won't embarrass themselves and us? The Jets won't look like the worst offense in the NFL? The Jets will not make an opposing passer look like Dan Marino in his prime? The Jets will eventually win another game, some day, or some year? Sigh.... nonetheless, we must boldly go where nobody should wish to go before, after, or any other time, and continue to post Bold Predictions that only end up humiliating. Here's to humiliation.

Let's take a quick look at last week's Bold Predictions results before moving on to Sunday's game. I predicted that Percy Harvin would gain 100+ yards from scrimmage. Nailed that one. I predicted the Jets would run all over the Chiefs to the tune of 175+ rushing yards. The Jets did have success in the running game, but only had 139 rushing yards. No other prediction of mine was close. That puts my record at four correct predictions out of 45 on the year. I just have a sixth sense that way. My bonus prediction was Bilal Powell would outrush Chris Johnson. Uhhh... never mind. Johnson had perhaps his best game of the year last Sunday. Four for nine on bonus predictions this year. I brought my record to 4-5 in predicting the winner of the game, having incorrectly predicted a Jets win over the Chiefs.

Let's see what I can get wrong this week.

Here are my five Bold Predictions for Sunday's game:

1. Jace Amaro and Percy Harvin will combine for 200+ yards from scrimmage and two TDs.

2. Michael Vick and Chris Ivory will combine for 140+ rushing yards.

3. The Jets will sack Big Ben 6 or more times.

4. The Jets will score a TD on special teams or defense for the first time since Antonio Allen garnered a pick six against the Patriots in October 2013.

5. The Jets will hold Antonio Brown under 84 yards receiving for the first time since December 2013.

And a bonus prediction: Geno Smith will come off the bench and lead a TD drive.

Final Score: This game is supposed to be a Steelers blowout. Big Ben is supposed to destroy the Jets' historically awful secondary. That's exactly what is going to happen. No Jets miracles this week. This one will get away from the Jets early, and the Steelers will humiliate the Jets in front of a crowd littered with Steelers fans. It will feel like a road game at MetLife Stadium, and it will suck. Steelers 37, Jets 13, one step closer to cleaning house.

Post subject: Re: Jets vs. Steelers: Five Bold Predictions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:03 pm 

My bold prediction is Ben does not throw 6 TDs this week.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:06 pm 

VeritasSteel wrote:

So ummm 7 or 8?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:16 pm 

Two monster games and suddenly everyone is talking about Ben like he's going to be Manning Fantasy MVP every week.

Although I see no reason this shouldn't continue. Playing with confidence is huge. And, heck, even starting slow like last week this offense can explode for 4 TD's in one quarter (81 points in Q2 the last 3 weeks?)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:32 pm 

stillthere wrote:
VeritasSteel wrote:

So ummm 7 or 8?

You followed that? Well played.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:11 am 

I just learned that Ben once threw 8 TDs in one game... in high school.

I have a feeling that the Steelers might run more in the red zone this week-- just taking the opportunity to put some tape out there against tendency.

If Ben even throws 4 or 5 this week, the football world is going to take notice. If he throws 6, it'll be the story of the year in the NFL. That would be a record that will never be equalled for 50 years, if ever.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:27 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

I have a feeling that the Steelers might run more in the red zone this week-- just taking the opportunity to put some tape out there against tendency.

If Ben even throws 4 or 5 this week, the football world is going to take notice. If he throws 6, it'll be the story of the year in the NFL. That would be a record that will never be equalled for 50 years, if ever.

A high school kid threw for 614 yards a few weeks ago, and a kid on the other team ran for almost 400. It was a game between Redbank Valley and Clarion, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:13 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Id say that's a solid statement. but with the way the rules are being more and more geared to passing every year, I think there would be a good chance it could be broken, especially in 50 years.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:13 am 

Forgot my bold prediction. 7 TDs. I know with Ben last week not that bold of a prediction. Seriously I see him throwing 5.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:23 am 
I fear this game alot.....the nyj have been hearing all week they are
Going to be eaten alive....i hope the Steelers force the run game a little
More and play a little more conservatively on the D side against a bad
Albeit athletically gifted qb....i think the jets could hold the Steelers under
30.....im not sure the jets can score more than 20-24 even against a conservative
D........

All that being said i wont be shocked if Ben comes up huge......i never am....hes
Without question the best qb in the nfl in the last 10-20 years....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:11 am 

Vick is not as bad as people here say-- he was 21/28 last week. He's no Andy DaLOLton.

He's more a guy who will make a mistake becaus he trusts his arm or doesn't protect th football in the pocket. He's hardly the worst QB we've seen this year and we lost to worse.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:19 am 

Bold Predictions:

We do not give up more than 30 yards on any specials teams individual play.

Our punt return team has a play over 30 yards and does not have a penalty to kill the play.

Bryant for 2 TD's, Miller for 1, Spaeth for 1. The other 3 passing TD's are unknown to me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:41 am 
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Vick is not as bad as people here say-- he was 21/28 last week. He's no Andy DaLOLton.

He's more a guy who will make a mistake becaus he trusts his arm or doesn't protect th football in the pocket. He's hardly the worst QB we've seen this year and we lost to worse.

Good point....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:17 am 

DocSteel wrote:
Bryant for 2 TD's, Miller for 1, Spaeth for 1. The other 3 passing TD's are unknown to me.

Do you know which team scores the other 3?