It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will Tomiln continue trotting Monqueef out there?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:38 pm 

He recently stated, in Tomlin jabber, that the WR situation would not be affected by the ghastly performance put on display this past Sunday.

Now I don't think Washington is the answer over there, as he can basically only get open on a go, but clank Johnson appears to be a possible candidate.

Is anyone here interested in seeing the queefer again?

TD: 0

Post subject: Re: Will Tomiln continue trotting Monqueef out there?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:45 pm 

The irony is this guy asking me about people I'd like to never see again, but I'll go ahead and add Chickillo the Waste of Oxygen and Shitzer the Waste of Every Target He's Ever Gotten to that list.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:49 pm 

I'm going to give Montcrief another game or 2 before declaring him a sucky player
From what I know about him he wasn't known for having the case of the dropsies. So yes, he should still be the #2

But Switzer should not be taking snaps in lieu of Washington, that much I DO know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:05 pm 

I thought the WR depth chart should look something like this

JuJu
Washington (if for no other reason than we have to see what this guy has up or down)
Moncrief / Johnson (hopefully a JAG with some undeveloped upside and a promising top 100 rook)
Holton (if nothing else take the top off the defense speed and a quality STer, hopefully a new Nate Washington)
Switzer (a designated fair catcher on STs and a the Titanic is sinking last option at WR who at least knows the plays)

The fact that Switzer and Moncrief got as much action as they did is probably the worst thing that happened on Sunday.

Switzer does nothing well as a WR. Nothing. In fact the Steelers would get much more mileage out of what the ask Switzer to do (WR bubble screens and very short underneath outlet throws) from both Samuels Snell and Connor and Nix for that matter.

There are CLEARLY 10 GUYS on this roster who should get the ball before Switzer. Think about that. Im over the horrible Dionte Spencer cut. If the Steelers want a punt returner who cant break tackles or ankles, fine. He should never get the ball unless there is a injury bug as big as a truck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:06 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
I'm going to give Montcrief another game or 2 before declaring him a sucky player
From what I know about him he wasn't known for having the case of the dropsies. So yes, he should still be the #2

But Switzer should not be taking snaps in lieu of Washington, that much I DO know.

^^^^^

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:06 pm 

I wouldn't. Tomlin needs to be cutthroat. Johnson actually looked like he belonged. He ran nice crisp routes and showed decent hands. Moncrief looked slow, got hardly any separation and displayed Limas Sweed hands or Dwight Stone if you want to go back further. PS cannot afford to give him time to play his way into form. Fuck that. Let Washington and Johnson get the majority of the snaps.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:34 pm 

Playing Shitzer sounds like loser team "Let's be like the Patriots" BS philosophy where we are trying to get our own Welker/Amendola clone which will lead us to victory.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:41 pm 

SteelerDayTrader wrote:

JuJu
Washington (if for no other reason than we have to see what this guy has up or down)
Moncrief / Johnson (hopefully a JAG with some undeveloped upside and a promising top 100 rook)
Holton (if nothing else take the top off the defense speed and a quality STer, hopefully a new Nate Washington)
Switzer (a designated fair catcher on STs and a the Titanic is sinking last option at WR who at least knows the plays)

The fact that Switzer and Moncrief got as much action as they did is probably the worst thing that happened on Sunday.

Switzer does nothing well as a WR. Nothing. In fact the Steelers would get much more mileage out of what the ask Switzer to do (WR bubble screens and very short underneath outlet throws) from both Samuels Snell and Connor and Nix for that matter.

There are CLEARLY 10 GUYS on this roster who should get the ball before Switzer. Think about that. Im over the horrible Dionte Spencer cut. If the Steelers want a punt returner who cant break tackles or ankles, fine. He should never get the ball unless there is a injury bug as big as a truck

Cutting Spencer in favor of Switzer literally turns my stomach.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:45 pm 

Put me in the group that thinks matakevich and chickillo should probably go. And they will, when other players learn the system. I'm guessing they won't be here next season if the newcomers ball out.

Moncrief had a finger injury. It doesn't surprise me he was tentative. I actually agree with tomlin. The team wasn't up to the task, for whatever reason. Overconfidence, hesitation, pressure, fear of failure, whatever. Moncrief was viewed, along with JuJu and a couple of others, to replace AB's production. The best WR in the NFL in the last 3-4 seasons. Nah. That's not pressure. On sunday night. In primetime.

But I'll say it's good to get that shit out of the way now, as opposed to the last quarter of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:52 pm 

KC wrote:
SteelerDayTrader wrote:

JuJu

But but we need a solid vet like pip Switzer to fair catch a punt or catch a 3 yard pass.

Spencer flashed playmaking ability in spades this preseason. And yet Switzer “knows the system” blah blah blah.

Spencer May never amount to shit in this league. However, don’t we already know where Switzer’s ceiling is?

That is the difference. Spencer might prove to be below a jag and not worthy. His camp performance showed he at least deserved a chance.

Switzer is what he is. A physically limited try hard midget at this level with zero upside.

Better hope Nix gets healthy soon or else Jibba will be calling to see if Crappy Davis isn’t too busy to play some FB.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:02 pm 

Folks... goodnight lol. How many football's do you think clank Spencer will catch this year??? 5? 10?

Switzer is on track to catch 96. He WILL break several into long gainers, so yes, the average will be greater. He has earned the starting slot spot.

Monqueef however WILL cost us games if he continues to infest the field. I'd get Johnson over there IMMEDIATELY if I could.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:05 pm 

I would have probably kept spencer over switzer, but I wasn't in camp, the locker room, the classroom, and privy to convo's or able to read a player first hand. Lets see what spencer does in Denver. . .

Steelers aren't perfect, even though fans expect them to be.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:11 pm 

Lynch wrote:
Folks... goodnight lol. How many football's do you think clank Spencer will catch this year??? 5? 10?

Switzer is on track to catch 96. He WILL break several into long gainers, so yes, the average will be greater. He has earned the starting slot spot.

Monqueef however WILL cost us games if he continues to infest the field. I'd get Johnson over there IMMEDIATELY if I could.

Switzer is averaging 4.8 yards per catch.

:lol:

I'm not joking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:12 pm 

KC wrote:
SteelerDayTrader wrote:

JuJu

Yeah me too. Why ?? What possible reason ?? It makes no sense other than THATS HOW the Steelers operate for decades....vets with contracts REALLY have to fuck up on a Titanic scale.

I mean think about it. Really only one player from last year on the roster was cut and that was Marcus Allen who is still on his rookie deal and he was gonna land on the PS for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:41 pm 

Switzer is still on his rookie deal yo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:42 pm 

SteelerDayTrader wrote:

JuJu

Tomlin won't do it because he is in love with players he perceives won't make mistakes...even if they offer nothing more than a three yard out- at least they offer that.

I will say again- in 2010, an old, slow Antwaan Randle El started and Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders were two dogs fighting for one bone.

Had Hines Ward and Randle El not gotten injured in the Pats' game that year, I'll bet big money Tomlin would have continued to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:45 pm 

Lynch wrote:

I'm really trying to figure out if you are doing the equivalent of Poe'ing here.

No way you really believe the bolded. Ryan Switzer's CAREER LONG is a 24-yard catch.

His career YPC is somewhere around 8.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:47 pm 

955876 wrote:
KC wrote:
SteelerDayTrader wrote:

JuJu

But but we need a solid vet like pip Switzer to fair catch a punt or catch a 3 yard pass.

Spencer flashed playmaking ability in spades this preseason. And yet Switzer “knows the system” blah blah blah.

Spencer May never amount to shit in this league. However, don’t we already know where Switzer’s ceiling is?

That is the difference. Spencer might prove to be below a jag and not worthy. His camp performance showed he at least deserved a chance.

Switzer is what he is. A physically limited try hard midget at this level with zero upside.

Better hope Nix gets healthy soon or else Jibba will be calling to see if Crappy Davis isn’t too busy to play some FB.

This is what I was referring to earlier 95

Tomlin doesnt have as much fault here as you portray. This goes back decades. Tomlin and Cowher eras. Whats more likely ?? Both of them are incompetent ?? or the Steelers value vets with contracts WAY too much ??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:53 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
SteelerDayTrader wrote:

JuJu

Tomlin won't do it because he is in love with players he perceives won't make mistakes...even if they offer nothing more than a three yard out- at least they offer that.

I will say again- in 2010, an old, slow Antwaan Randle El started and Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders were two dogs fighting for one bone.

Had Hines Ward and Randle El not gotten injured in the Pats' game that year, I'll bet big money Tomlin would have continued to do that.

Again

This kind of Steeler way stuff is far bigger than just Tomlin. It goes back decades Both Tomlin and Cowher had to deal with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:54 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Lynch wrote:

I'm really trying to figure out if you are doing the equivalent of Poe'ing here.

No way you really believe the bolded. Ryan Switzer's CAREER LONG is a 24-yard catch.

His career YPC is somewhere around 8.

Last year was Switz's first playing offense. He played on an ankle requiring surgery. His average will be north of ten, which isn't huge obviously, but huge isn't really in his job description.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:43 pm 

So, the Shitzer version of a long gain is what, 14 yards?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:43 pm 

I wanted to give Moncrief a chance to come in here and prove himself but man, what has he done to prove himself? Absolutely nothing. Even in the preseason, he was timid, played like a pussy, was hit and fumbled easily. In the NE game after each drop, I thought to myself maybe it is a good thing he didn't catch the ball and establish contact, make a football move, those could have very well been fumbles if he had. Two of those drops, the defender was able to play the catch point, was able to wrestle the ball out, at least that is what it looked like to me.

Moncrief does not know how to use his body to box out a defender, to fight for a ball, to catch short passes with his hands. He reminds me a lot of Sammie Coates. The closer he was to the line of scrimmage, Coates struggled. He was robotic, he was stiff, he did not fight for the ball he did not use his physicality and great upper body strength. Sammie was good running deep routes and that was about it. I had hoped that Moncrief might be a little more like Jericho Cotchery but instead we appear to have another Sammie Coates.

I made this point about Moncrief this offseason, he had three 60+ yard catches the past two seasons. Nowhere in any of his stops did I see teams think that he could be used in the manner that the Steelers are currently trying to do.

He was the most targeted player, 10 times Ben threw the ball to him. He had 3 catches for 7 yards, a 2.3 yard average, and 4 drops. I have never seen a starting WR for the Steelers play that badly.

I have really grown tired of Tomlin and this whole shtick that players have to pay their dues, earn his trust, that nothing will be handed to you.

Moncrief is on his third NFL team, he was injured and missed a lot of training camp and preseason games. How did he pay his dues? How did he earn your trust?? Didn't you hand him a starting job simply on the fact that he is a veteran and you paid him $9 million??

Meanwhile, there is James Washington, who did not miss any time, did play in training camp and in the preseason games, did make big plays, long catches, touchdowns. He lost weight, is in great shape and is humble and has great character. You spent a 2nd round pick on him, he is in his second season. What is the problem??? Why isn't he the starter???

I almost hesitate to type this but is Washington being held back because of his relationship/freindship with Mason Rudolph?? It is so damn weird that Ben loves him some Switzer and Moncreif and the really, truly talented WRs on this roster outside of JuJu, have to settle for table scraps. Like Washington and Johnson are sitting at the kids table for no damn discernible reason. It really has me confused, don't understand it at all.

Other teams, the vast majority of teams draft players high and can't wait to get them on the field as soon as possible. Brown is gone, you spent two high draft picks on Washington and Johnson and yet Ben thinks that Switzer and Moncrief are the solution? Ben isn't thinking clearly.

His comments this offseason also don't make sense to me about how he wants to have a rotation of ALL of his WRs, that he wants them to be selfless. That is nice and all but come on man, Washington and Johnson aren't going to develop that way.

To me JuJu should have 90-95 catches.
Washington and Johnson should both be over 60+ catches
Moncrief should have about 25-30 catches
Switzer should be at 15-20 catches.

JuJu, Washington and Johnson is your best trio, they can do what I outlined above, but not if you are dicking around with Moncrief and Switzer and excessively targeting them with poor results.

If this team, if Ben, does not quickly realize who his three best WRs are, we are heading towards a losing season. You have to be willing to put up with growing pains with your young WR trio and then be rewarded at the end of the season. That trio can make a push into the playoffs, but if you diddle around, screw around with them for half a season or wait until the last month before giving them a chance to play, it will be too late.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:58 pm 

Y'all can chalk me up for throwing Barron in this mix. What has he done exactly to deserve his roster spot? Get burned, play himself out of plays, miss tackle and be no better than Matakevich at this point. Yeah, I went there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:37 pm 

KC wrote:
Lynch wrote:

I'm not joking.

That can happen when you are the only one converting 3rd and short. I think 4.8 is exactly what they want from him and his ilk. It is the running game for outside the hashes on 1st and 2nd downs to mix things up.

He was used way to much, but he can be an effective weapon used properly. When your run game is non existent, and your WR2 is catching balls like a barn wall, painted red with a broad brush, and your coach is not screaming at the refs incessantly about rubbing and arm bars, and your own DBs aren’t reciprocating said rubbing and arm bars, it will be a long game, and the WR5 will be a scape goat.

By the way Switz was 6 for 6 on receptions.
JW 2/6
JuJu 6/8
MonGrief 3/10
Holton 0/2 and he should have caught Ben’s bomb.
DJ 3/5

Last edited by LakecrestSteeler on Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:46 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
KC wrote:
Lynch wrote:

I'm not joking.

That can happen when you are the only one converting 3rd and short. I think 4.8 is exactly what they want from him and his ilk. It is the running game for outside the hashes on 1st and 2nd downs to mix things up.

He was used way to much, but he can be an effective weapon used properly. When your run game is non existent, and your WR2 is catching balls like a barn wall, painted red with a broad brush, and your coach is not screaming at the refs incessantly about rubbing and arm bars, and your own DBs aren’t reciprocating said rubbing and arm bars, it will be a long game, and the WR5 will be a scape goat.

Switzer's a piece of shit who is stealing snaps from several guys, but mostly from Jaylen Samuels a far better receiver and runner than Switzer will ever dream of being.

I'm actually starting to wonder if maybe Dumblin has a plan. Maybe some sort of "Suck for Tua" plan.

He's trots Switzer out there ahead of Samuels.

He trots Moncrief who had a SEVERELY dislocated finger (which is still supposedly giving him all kinds of problems) in camp ahead of James Washington.

He's got Edmunds looking like he doesn't even understand what sport he's playing at Safety and Bud Dupree plays nearly all the snaps while Ola watches from the sidelines in a complete and utter blowout.

Dumblin keeps JuJu on the field late in the game and he gets injured.

Maybe Dumblin is trying to lose?