It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Coaching Candidates
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:29 pm 

So. Question for all the tomlin haters. Do you believe in the current gig economy is good? IOW, is it desirable to have a coach long term, or would you rather it be a revolving door? If you were hiring an executive, and invest money in them, would you want that position to be stable or do you prefer the turnover rate to be be very high? In a position that requires a certain degree of experience and the job entails development over time.

For those of you that have businesses, or are in a position to hire, do you look for stability - provided it's permanent work - or do you simply not ask the question of the prospective candidate what their plans are for the future with the company? How many of you have hired someone and then they leave soon thereafter, leaving you in the lurch? How many of you hired someone that you thought was outstanding, and they turned out to be a turd? Again leaving you high and dry. Maybe Munchak didn't want a HC job. He wasn't that good in Tennessee.

The NFL is an $8 - 10B industry. How much money do teams lose that have multiple coaches over multiple years? Sure. There are flashes in the pan every once in a while. Jon Gruden is one. Mike Ditka. Barry Switzer. Tony Dungy. I think the steelers want to hire another Noll, or Siefert, Bill Walsh, or Tom Landry. I'm not suggesting Tomlin is in the same league as them, but he sure as fuck isn't Mike Ditka, who had Buddy Ryan as DC.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:43 pm 

Quote:
The guy we should have hired hopped a plane to Denver and is off the table.

Oh, and our OLine looked like cow dung last night. Great.

Get the hell out of here. He is a great O-line coach but has already failed as a head coach. You are out of your damn mind.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:49 pm 

SteelPowerful wrote:
Quote:
The guy we should have hired hopped a plane to Denver and is off the table.

Oh, and our OLine looked like cow dung last night. Great.

Get the hell out of here. He is a great O-line coach but has already failed as a head coach. You are out of your damn mind.

Carroll failed before too. So did Belichick. Go read something you dumbfuck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:03 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
So. Question for all the tomlin haters. Do you believe in the current gig economy is good? IOW, is it desirable to have a coach long term, or would you rather it be a revolving door? If you were hiring an executive, and invest money in them, would you want that position to be stable or do you prefer the turnover rate to be be very high? In a position that requires a certain degree of experience and the job entails development over time.

For those of you that have businesses, or are in a position to hire, do you look for stability - provided it's permanent work - or do you simply not ask the question of the prospective candidate what their plans are for the future with the company? How many of you have hired someone and then they leave soon thereafter, leaving you in the lurch? How many of you hired someone that you thought was outstanding, and they turned out to be a turd? Again leaving you high and dry. Maybe Munchak didn't want a HC job. He wasn't that good in Tennessee.

The NFL is an $8 - 10B industry. How much money do teams lose that have multiple coaches over multiple years? Sure. There are flashes in the pan every once in a while. Jon Gruden is one. Mike Ditka. Barry Switzer. Tony Dungy. I think the steelers want to hire another Noll, or Siefert, Bill Walsh, or Tom Landry. I'm not suggesting Tomlin is in the same league as them, but he sure as fuck isn't Mike Ditka, who had Buddy Ryan as DC.

I’ve never owned a business, but worked as a shift leadman. Never had the authority to hire and fire, nor did I ever want it. I did have a crew of between 5-12 people, depending on the season, under me.
I’ll say this, stability without production don’t mean jack shit. Can we agree that in the past 10 years or so, the Tomlin Steelers have been stagnant, to say the least? Has there been any progress in achieving the NFLs ultimate goal? The Steelers seem to just do enough to hover around playoff contention... never really serious contenders. That appears to be A-.OK with ole A2, married to his 3 head coaches in 51 years battle cry. The the fans, the ones that purchase the tickets, merchandise, and drive the ad dollars will never buy in to what they consider mediocrity. Spoiled sure, but that doesn’t change the facts. IMO, Tomlin must be replaced to jump start the organization. That said, I know it’s not going to happen.
Just my two cents...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:14 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
I’ll say this, stability without production don’t mean jack shit.
And that's exactly where the debate is. Everyone has a different perception of what "production" means. I grew up watching the dominant steelers of the 70's, and anything less is failure. I try to temper my expectations, and that doesn't mean I accept mediocrity or falling short of success. Choosing a HC can't be easy. Especially with an industry where so much money is at stake. It's easy playing with someone else's money when you're not responsible for the consequences and you don't have the inside track.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:37 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:

Tony Dungy built 2 championship teams one in Tampa and one in Indy and you think he is a flash in the pan?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:39 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:

I believe it depends on the owner's state of mind. As a business owner myself, I have to think in that way. Do you want to build a business or a brand? Those are two mutually different concepts. To build a brand you have to want not only to be successful in business but in everything that revolves around that business. I hate the Cowboys w/ a passion of a thousand suns but Jerrah and those guys have built a brand around the Cowboys that is successful even though the Cowboys (the business) hasn't been in the playoffs through the years until recently. Jerrah has them being competitive and he spends just enough money to see that they are putting a decent product on the field. His problem is that he wants to coach too and thus hamstrings the team by interfering and not using a strong personality as the HC. Jason Garrett is basically Marvin Lewis and would've been fired by any other team a long time ago but since he's a beta male and doesn't question then Jerrah keeps him on staff.

The Steelers are the example of a successful business and not a brand. They could be but the ownership is too short-sighted. They believe that the way to go is super long trends of mediocre stability. They are proud to state that there has only been 3 HCs since 1969. Noll should've been replaced in '86 but hung on til '89. Cowher should've been gone because he didn't value the QB position. How many awesome defenses were wasted because of sub-tier QB play? He should've been gone as early as 2000 and we can all say that Ben saved his career with the '06 SB win. Tomlin should've been gone 2yrs ago. His message has become stale and although things were kept in house a lot, his handling of Ben, AB, Bell, Harrison and even guys like Troy were way below the line and it seems that he had lost the locker room. He has yet to build a reliable, hi IQ and consistent D and this from a guy whose specialty was supposed to be defense.

Art II sees an 8-8 season as a success not because there was no losing season but because it kept the fans interested enough to keep buying season tickets and so his business is successful. If we had made a few changes earlier on throughout the years then the Steelers could be sitting on more than 6 SB wins and could be up to more like 9-10. No brand building even with the "Terrible Towel" and the "Steel Curtain" moniker you get jack squat. A team once feared is now ridiculed by many and is ran by a cuckold owner and a cliche driven HC that is a walking billboard for irony (Mr. We don't live in our fears but kicks a FG while being inches from the goal line down 3 scores). The non-rocking of the boat called complacency has moored the Steelers on the shores of mediocrity. The problem with that is that sooner or later the moored boat gets dashed against the rocks and then it sinks. I have a feeling that a sinking ship is soon on the horizon.

If I'm hiring a guy , I want a logical person that's driven to win/succeed and to accomplish the goals that were set forth. They also have a proven track record and/or the innovation to have them accomplished. If they leave for greener pastures after they've accomplished what was setup then so be it. More than likely the business is in a better place than it was before they took over and they've set a standard for excellence which can be carried into the future.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:50 pm 

We should hire a potted plant and finally put the Tomlin comparison to bed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:56 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
I’ll say this, stability without production don’t mean jack shit.
And that's exactly where the debate is. Everyone has a different perception of what "production" means. I grew up watching the dominant steelers of the 70's, and anything less is failure. I try to temper my expectations, and that doesn't mean I accept mediocrity or falling short of success. Choosing a HC can't be easy. Especially with an industry where so much money is at stake. It's easy playing with someone else's money when you're not responsible for the consequences and you don't have the inside track.

I can’t disagree with anything you’ve posted here.
Certainly there is always a risk when making a change, but where is the tipping point when good becomes not good enough? Does A2 ask that question or is he content with a team that is spinning its wheels, just hoping to catch lightning in a bottle? I know the answers to those questions and it’s frustrating.
Professional sports is littered with instances where a coaching change has launched a good team to great things. Maybe, just maybe, that is what’s needed here. Who knows?
Listen, I... we all know that Tomlin isn’t getting fired, but as long as he continues to puke out performances like Sunday, and continue to come up short in the playoffs...if his team actually makes the playoffs, then I’ll continue to question if he’s the right man for the job. It’s my right as a Steelers fan. :lol:
As Swiss likes to say... it’s what we do here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:04 pm 

Stillcajun wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

I believe it depends on the owner's state of mind. As a business owner myself, I have to think in that way. Do you want to build a business or a brand? Those are two mutually different concepts. To build a brand you have to want not only to be successful in business but in everything that revolves around that business. I hate the Cowboys w/ a passion of a thousand suns but Jerrah and those guys have built a brand around the Cowboys that is successful even though the Cowboys (the business) hasn't been in the playoffs through the years until recently. Jerrah has them being competitive and he spends just enough money to see that they are putting a decent product on the field. His problem is that he wants to coach too and thus hamstrings the team by interfering and not using a strong personality as the HC. Jason Garrett is basically Marvin Lewis and would've been fired by any other team a long time ago but since he's a beta male and doesn't question then Jerrah keeps him on staff.

The Steelers are the example of a successful business and not a brand. They could be but the ownership is too short-sighted. They believe that the way to go is super long trends of mediocre stability. They are proud to state that there has only been 3 HCs since 1969. Noll should've been replaced in '86 but hung on til '89. Cowher should've been gone because he didn't value the QB position. How many awesome defenses were wasted because of sub-tier QB play? He should've been gone as early as 2000 and we can all say that Ben saved his career with the '06 SB win. Tomlin should've been gone 2yrs ago. His message has become stale and although things were kept in house a lot, his handling of Ben, AB, Bell, Harrison and even guys like Troy were way below the line and it seems that he had lost the locker room. He has yet to build a reliable, hi IQ and consistent D and this from a guy whose specialty was supposed to be defense.

Art II sees an 8-8 season as a success not because there was no losing season but because it kept the fans interested enough to keep buying season tickets and so his business is successful. If we had made a few changes earlier on throughout the years then the Steelers could be sitting on more than 6 SB wins and could be up to more like 9-10. No brand building even with the "Terrible Towel" and the "Steel Curtain" moniker you get jack squat. A team once feared is now ridiculed by many and is ran by a cuckold owner and a cliche driven HC that is a walking billboard for irony (Mr. We don't live in our fears but kicks a FG while being inches from the goal line down 3 scores). The non-rocking of the boat called complacency has moored the Steelers on the shores of mediocrity. The problem with that is that sooner or later the moored boat gets dashed against the rocks and then it sinks. I have a feeling that a sinking ship is soon on the horizon.

If I'm hiring a guy , I want a logical person that's driven to win/succeed and to accomplish the goals that were set forth. They also have a proven track record and/or the innovation to have them accomplished. If they leave for greener pastures after they've accomplished what was setup then so be it. More than likely the business is in a better place than it was before they took over and they've set a standard for excellence which can be carried into the future.

Well said.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:11 pm 

i dont even care about hiring the perfect candidate at this point, i just want this fucker gone. We've now lost AB and Deebo for next to nothing, and both their "attitude problems" were built during Tomlins reign...whose next?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:17 pm 

Maybe patience is a virtue. Belichick has ben HC for NE for how long now? They struck it rich with Noll, got another out of cowher and close a few times, and one, albeit with cowhers players, with tomlin, and close once. If the window for head coaches is 5-10 years before they become stale, then start the clock when the majority of players were gone and Tomlin had to start from scratch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:41 pm 

Quote:
Carroll failed before too. So did Belichick. Go read something you dumbfuck.

Dumb?! LOL No one comes close to you with regard to lack of intelligence and maybe flat out bias. So you are going to pick someone who has failed before on what basis? Drop the hindsight bias and give me another reason you would hire Munchak. Munchak has never achieved what Tomlin already has and you're going to hire him in Tomlin's place?!

How many other coaches have failed before, were rehired, and failed again? There are many more that failed again than succeeded after they were hired by another team. Yes indeed, the only "dumbfuck" around here is you.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:51 pm 

I have to post an edit. Ditka had Buddy Ryan, and Tomlin had Dick Lebeau. So maybe that wasn't a good comparison. It's another reason why I think butler needs to go.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:24 pm 

Pittsburgh is a hard place to coach for 2 reasons.

Much of the fanbase are some of the most frontrunning in the NFL and will sharpen their knives quickly, and worse than that; permanently.

Anyone who coaches/GMs in Pittsburgh knows they will have to put up with the Rooney Way BS and compromise what they would REALLY like to do as a coach. That is one HELLUVA handicap to deal with.

When it comes to the Steelers coaching staff you really only need to understand 1 thing.

The Steelers are the ONLY team in the NFL that doesnt have a QB coach. And its been that way for a long long time in regards to the rest of the NFL. Some teams even have QB coach assistants.

It gets even worse than that. When Airians was here I believe we HAD a QB coach for a short time. Then it was eliminated. Think about that in regards to even 1999 NFL much less 2019 NFL. Unbelievable. Wow. That pretty much says it all about the Rooney Way and the "coaching staff/GM".

In regards to the current/recent staff.

They hired Joey Porter to coach the OLBs. For several seasons. :lol: They hired the DB coach from Penn St. :lol: and then drafted a S from Penn St. :lol: who made last years roster barely and is now on the PS. :lol: They have the smallest scouting staff in the NFL headed up by....wait for it... Dan Colbert Mark Bruener and Chidi Iwuoma :lol: The one area where the team is consistently horrible STs, the Steelers hang on to poor performing ST coaches for many seasons despite it being by far the easiest coordinator job to fill with a very wide qualified talent pool to draw from who would gladly coach in Pittsburgh because their is virtually no built in Rooney Way BS to deal with.

All this is further underlined by the fact that the Steelers for all their cred, have really only had 2 great eras Bradshaw and Roethlisberger. In my book TWO top 5 all-time ever in nfl history QBs. And both of those guys had some of the best(in Bradshaws case the best ever D and team) defenses ever.

In fairness, alot of this insularity and dysfunction was mitigated by the fact Dan Rooney and his brother(I forget his name ?? Art Jr. ??) worked themselves into being legit pro football students/masters over many years.

I highly doubt Deuce could name the starting lineup much less the 53. Think about that. Most of you reading this can name the 53 from memory. As internet amateurs. Do any of you really think Deuce even has the first clue about hiring new coaches / GM / front office ???

The only way I see this changing is Deuce decides to hire an all powerful head coach or GM and I just dont see it. Maybe when he moves on. Decades from now.

So new coaches mid-season ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good luck :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And if by some MIRACLE that did happen it will be someone like fatass Mike McCarthy who will swallow the Rooney Way BS/compromise whole without question and hope he gets lucky drafting a Bradshaw/Roethlisberger at the same time the Steelers build a legendary defense.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:04 pm 

If I were going to put together an actual list, however unlikely:

Matt Eberflus - IND DC
Kris Richard - Dallas Defensive Backs coach
Maybe Kyle Shanahan if he gets fired in San Fran this year
Dave Toub - ST coordinator in KC

All pipe dreams tho. Ideally we could get a STs coach under 50 years old.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:41 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
If you were hiring an executive, and invest money in them, would you want that position to be stable or do you prefer the turnover rate to be be very high? In a position that requires a certain degree of experience and the job entails development over time.

There's no right or wrong answer, and no absolute answer. Sometimes there is a need for change, the Steelers idea that there should never be change at that position is wrong. Unless the coach has results like Belichick. If you have a few great years, then keep doing the same thing, then down the line it's not working anymore, at some point you should say, maybe we try something new? makes absolutely no sense at all to have the position be for life like a USSC Justice.

So what if Ben leaves and suddenly it's 7-9 or worse every year, I can actually see that being the case, do you blame the players and assistants and never blame the HC? Why? Why is only that one position for life? Every time the Steelers have a bad year, it's like "Fire the coordinators" why is that assumed to e the problem and never the HC? Do you honestly never think that a HC could be the problem, or that a missing piece in winning a title is at the HC position?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:41 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
If you were hiring an executive, and invest money in them, would you want that position to be stable or do you prefer the turnover rate to be be very high? In a position that requires a certain degree of experience and the job entails development over time.

There's no right or wrong answer, and no absolute answer. Sometimes there is a need for change, the Steelers idea that there should never be change at that position is wrong. Unless the coach has results like Belichick. If you have a few great years, then keep doing the same thing, then down the line it's not working anymore, at some point you should say, maybe we try something new? makes absolutely no sense at all to have the position be for life like a USSC Justice.

So what if Ben leaves and suddenly it's 7-9 or worse every year, I can actually see that being the case, do you blame the players and assistants and never blame the HC? Why? Why is only that one position for life? Every time the Steelers have a bad year, it's like "Fire the coordinators" why is that assumed to e the problem and never the HC? Do you honestly never think that a HC could be the problem, or that a missing piece in winning a title is at the HC position?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:56 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:

I see what you're getting at but this isn't a revolving door situation. This is his 12th year as the Steelers head coach and won a Super Bowl in his 2nd. So 10 years without reaching the ultimate goal. I'd say 10 years is more than enough time to reach an objective. I'd say BODs would at least consider replacing the CEO after 10 years of not reaching the end goal whether it's Super Bowls or shareholder value. The median tenure of a CEO right now is 5 years for perspective.

I work at a firm, that at its core, invests in companies that are actively undergoing management changes because we've found that there is value in firms shaking things up as long as they make the right hire. They've gone through periods of under-performance and were ripe for change.

Stability is nice to a point, but many times it leads to periods of under-performance because ideas and strategies get stale.

I can tell you with a fair amount of confidence that if the Steelers were a publicly traded company in any other industry there would have been shareholder activism by now. They have a valuable brand that is under-performing.

AB Words of Wisdom: "...this be my first meeting with Mr Rooney ever as Antonio Brown the man not AB84 the player in locker! never been to my house; there house; like what AM I Really doing! Less then what you bargain for more than real #Truth"

Last edited by StillerInCT on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:01 pm 

StillerDownSouth wrote:
Yea and there was a point when Tomlin was a good coach as well, granted been a while back. I’d rather get someone with fresh thoughts, especially offensively.

Nope. He was the beneficiary of a mainly veteran team. His back seat, pussified, enabling coaching style worked with a team with discipline. But once the veteran leadership gave way to the young bucks, Tomlin's ineptitude was on display for the world to see.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:21 pm 

SteelerDayTrader wrote:

Anyone who coaches/GMs in Pittsburgh knows they will have to put up with the Rooney Way BS and compromise what they would REALLY like to do as a coach. That is one HELLUVA handicap to deal with.

...And if by some MIRACLE that did happen it will be someone like fatass Mike McCarthy who will swallow the Rooney Way BS/compromise whole without question and hope he gets lucky drafting a Bradshaw/Roethlisberger at the same time the Steelers build a legendary defense.

THIS^^^ 1000%

Whatever Coach you name, if they ever arrived here, they WOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO DO whatever made them successful enough to be hired, they would have to bow down and do the ROONEY BULLSHIT.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:26 pm 

StillerInCT wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

I see what you're getting at but this isn't a revolving door situation. This is his 12th year as the Steelers head coach and won a Super Bowl in his 2nd. So 10 years without reaching the ultimate goal. I'd say 10 years is more than enough time to reach an objective. I'd say BODs would at least consider replacing the CEO after 10 years of not reaching the end goal whether it's Super Bowls or shareholder value. The median tenure of a CEO right now is 5 years for perspective.

I work at a firm, that at its core, invests in companies that are actively undergoing management changes because we've found that there is value in firms shaking things up as long as they make the right hire. They've gone through periods of under-performance and were ripe for change.

Stability is nice to a point, but many times it leads to periods of under-performance because ideas and strategies get stale.

I can tell you with a fair amount of confidence that if the Steelers were a publicly traded company in any other industry there would have been shareholder activism by now. They have a valuable brand that is under-performing.
Cowher coached the steelers for 15 years, and won one SB. He voluntarily stepped down to spend more time with his family. I wonder if DAN Rooney would have kept him on board for another five. Everybody here respected Dan way more than they do Art III. I also know many here thought cowher should have stepped down sooner (FC, KC), though. And do we know if Art is even looking? Maybe he is, and is biding his time until he bags his target and still has BR. For all we know, he's waiting for BR to retire, because you can bet he will retire the second tomlin or RF does.

I understand the frustration. The staleness, etc. It's mostly why I think Butler should get the ax in the interim - the shake things up idea. The defense has consistently underperformed for many of those ten years when pro bowl players left. The revolving door isn't the fact that they've only had 3 coaches in the last blah years. It's the revolving door that will happen when Tomlin is jettisoned. It might in fact be another decade before the steelers see a winning team. BR is going to retire soon. So imagine a nobody coach, without tomlin's experience (before he was hired), stinking up the place for 2 or 3 years if rudolph doesn't pan out, and then hiring another, and another, and another until you hit it big. It might be a flaming dumpster fire for a long while. I think that's how the rooney's are looking at it. You want to become the browns? Or the phins?

I'm not suggesting that's what they will become, but it is plausible. Stability is the counter to that. Just sayin'

Call Parcells to consult. He'll know how to beat belichick.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:38 pm 

A suitable replacement for Ben should be a higher priority. That's NOT a shot at Ben. Ben is getting older and at times he's less consistent. As his best, he's not as good as Brady. But Ben, today, is still a top tier NFL QB with 3 SB appearances, 2 rings and plenty of Pro Bowl appearances. He's not Eli but it is time to have someone in the wings.

Tomlin has flaws and, at his best, he's not Belichick. But he's still among the best coaches in the league. He's got 2 SB appearances, a ring, 3 AFC championship appearances and sees 9 and 10 wins during re-tooling seasons. Obviously he lost control of the locker room last year. We're just now learning the level of diva ish that Tomlin was managing in Brown. But the Roony's are about loyalty. Given his record is really good, Tomlin will be around for a while. Dollars to donuts, the front office is more concerned about the QB position than a HC position.