It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Edmunds had me disgusted last night
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:18 pm 

Yes, lots of things were disgusting. But, when your #1 pick from last year plays like that, it is demoralizing. He is so damn stiff at times and late to react other times.

1. On the first TD, Josh Gordon makes him look completely silly with that cut back and he doesn't even come close to getting a hand on him. No change of direction.

2. In the first half, Brady floats a ball to the sideline. Had Edmunds decisively reacted, he would have actually intercepted the ball. Instead, he's late and doesn't even get a hand on. WTF.

3. Against Josh Gordon he hesitates badly on a bomb over the middle. He had plenty of time to play the ball...instead he goes for the kill shot..and does nothing.

4. On the 20 TD to Dorsett, Brady looks him off. He falls for it...but not just one step. It looks like he's two steps over and then is late as hell getting back. Hilton did his job sending Dorsett up the seam and shading him to the inside. Dumbfck Edmunds with no instincts couldn't do his job.

Edmunds was supposed to take this BIG LEAP this year. I didn't see it. It doesn't matter if you have great ILB play. If your safeties play like that, the middle of the field will still be raped. I'm really worried about the kid. It's one thing to be stiff. It's another to be stiff and have poor instincts. The safety play is a big problem right now.

Post subject: Re: Edmunds had me disgusted last night
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:21 pm 

I'll say it again.

We'll take 2 safeties in our first 4 picks next April.

I also seriously wouldn't doubt this is Ben's last year.

He's fat, he looked fairly uninterested last night.

I'm sure he'll deliver a few moments of greatness this year but it ain't gonna be enough.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:27 pm 

I said to my brother last night, Edmunds is getting into Jervis Jones type bust territory. That’s how atrocious he looked last night. Not the only guy, but he’s a first round pick.

TB has been beating the Edmunds sucks drum since the day the guy walked to the podium. Not good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:36 pm 

franco32 wrote:

4. On the 20 TD to Dorsett, Brady looks him off. He falls for it...but not just one step. It looks like he's two steps over and then is late as hell getting back. Hilton did his job sending Dorsett up the seam and shading him to the inside. Dumbfck Edmunds with no instincts couldn't do his job.

Even worse on the Dorsett play, he was not touched the whole route. From line of scrimmage to blazing past Edmunds, not a hair was brushed. That, in my opinion, is actually more egregious than Edmunds. That is why TB12 looks like he is on fire, and Ben has people calling for Rudolph.

Pats DBs ride our receivers like mules at the Grand Canyon all over the field. Our defenders take brooms and scrub in front, to the side, and from behind, like Olympic curlers to make the Pats WRs go faster, smoother, and groovier on their way to the intended target. Zero fucking takeaways again, and this is the biggest part of it. If Allen would have checked Dorsett at the line, which he could have easily, there would have been no catch, and maybe an INT.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:38 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
I said to my brother last night, Edmunds is getting into Jervis Jones type bust territory. That’s how atrocious he looked last night. Not the only guy, but he’s a first round pick.

TB has been beating the Edmunds sucks drum since the day the guy walked to the podium. Not good.

Edmunds was a late 2nd , but more of a third round talent taken in the first round. That pick made everyone go “wtf?”!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:48 pm 

This is Tomlin’s defense. He’s been given multiple high round picks.

All we have to show for it is a steaming pile of poo.

Cut the head off this snake already.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:53 pm 

Tomlin is still the head coach, Butler is still the DC. They won't be developing any secondary talent any time soon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:26 pm 

Some of the angles that he took and just his flat out effort was atrocious.

a 1st rounder HAS to make the step in year 2, especially if WE want to compete.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:29 pm 

Justin Reid was on the board when we picked Edmunds...

Any guesses on how he does tonight??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:34 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

I just didn't see it with him.

He's football dumb. When you think of how instinctual and timely Polamalu was, Edmunds is a direct opposite of that. His movements are awkward, he can't anticipate and see how a play is going to develop, or diagnose what is happening in front of him to make the right move until it's too late. He's a totally reactionary player. That's why he's more often than not always going to be a step or two late, which consistently gets you beat in the NFL.

I thought he was a fifth round talent. He looked better this preseason, but I wouldn't say he's making a positive impact out there. Definitely didn't last night.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:34 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
franco32 wrote:

Even worse on the Dorsett play, he was not touched the whole route. From line of scrimmage to blazing past Edmunds, not a hair was brushed. That, in my opinion, is actually more egregious than Edmunds. That is why TB12 looks like he is on fire, and Ben has people calling for Rudolph.

Pats DBs ride our receivers like mules at the Grand Canyon all over the field. Our defenders take brooms and scrub in front, to the side, and from behind, like Olympic curlers to make the Pats WRs go faster, smoother, and groovier on their way to the intended target. Zero fucking takeaways again, and this is the biggest part of it. If Allen would have checked Dorsett at the line, which he could have easily, there would have been no catch, and maybe an INT.

+1000 BB teaches his secondary to commit pass interference every play. Yes, every play. He knows the refs can't call it every time. So you get the constant extra contact slightly beyond the 5 yards, the subtle arm bars down the field, etc. I'm positive they coach how to get away with contact in NE. Instead, we part the fckin Red Sea for WRs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:39 pm 

Oh, and Franco, as bad as Edmunds was....for whatever reason, maybe just being miserable watching everything unfold, #3 was so so bad with no awareness whatsoever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:42 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Edmunds was a late 2nd , but more of a third round talent taken in the first round. That pick made everyone go “wtf?”!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:21 pm 

New strategy should be to build the secondary in FA. The Steelers have consistently shown failure in both evaluating these guys and coaching them. Let someone else pick them, coach them, and then we'll take it from there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:29 pm 

franco32 wrote:
Yes, lots of things were disgusting. But, when your #1 pick from last year plays like that, it is demoralizing. He is so damn stiff at times and late to react other times.

1. On the first TD, Josh Gordon makes him look completely silly with that cut back and he doesn't even come close to getting a hand on him. No change of direction.

2. In the first half, Brady floats a ball to the sideline. Had Edmunds decisively reacted, he would have actually intercepted the ball. Instead, he's late and doesn't even get a hand on. WTF.

3. Against Josh Gordon he hesitates badly on a bomb over the middle. He had plenty of time to play the ball...instead he goes for the kill shot..and does nothing.

Edmunds was supposed to take this BIG LEAP this year. I didn't see it. It doesn't matter if you have great ILB play. If your safeties play like that, the middle of the field will still be raped. I'm really worried about the kid. It's one thing to be stiff. It's another to be stiff and have poor instincts. The safety play is a big problem right now.

As dumb and clueless as any safety we’ve had and that’s saying something

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:39 pm 

yes how this team can 't draft a secondary person it is mind boggling.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:52 pm 

Quote:

I thought it was going to be picked...I literally screamed WHAT THE FUCK!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:54 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
yes how this team can 't draft a secondary person it is mind boggling.

Justin Layne screams bust as well. Dude doesn't physically look ready for NFL action at all.

But obviously way early on that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:38 am 

TB wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

He's football dumb. When you think of how instinctual and timely Polamalu was, Edmunds is a direct opposite of that. His movements are awkward, he can't anticipate and see how a play is going to develop, or diagnose what is happening in front of him to make the right move until it's too late. He's a totally reactionary player. That's why he's more often than not always going to be a step or two late, which consistently gets you beat in the NFL.

I thought he was a fifth round talent. He looked better this preseason, but I wouldn't say he's making a positive impact out there. Definitely didn't last night.

That's exactly what I see, just a bumbling awkward movement. Like a HS kid who grows really fast and can't coordinate his body how he wants it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:59 am 

..., but he only has 2% body fat! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:45 am 

Let's not forget Edmunds comes from good family stock. Tomlin values that. It makes no difference at all that Edmunds change of direction skill is terrible.

I hope I am dead wrong. I hope the light bulb goes on.. But that game was ugly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:48 am 

TB wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Yep - this is the issue with Edmunds. He has NO instincts for the position.
Plenty of athleticism, but it doesn't mean anything when he is never in position to make a play.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 am 

Maybe if we hired a head coach who's had experience coaching DBs

AB Words of Wisdom: "...this be my first meeting with Mr Rooney ever as Antonio Brown the man not AB84 the player in locker! never been to my house; there house; like what AM I Really doing! Less then what you bargain for more than real #Truth"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:26 am 

steelheels wrote:
TB wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Yep - this is the issue with Edmunds. He has NO instincts for the position.
Plenty of athleticism, but it doesn't mean anything when he is never in position to make a play.

We talking about Edmunds or Dupree?
Could be the same things we are talking about as Edmunds spins his wheels for three more years.

Tomlin has always loved that great athlete.......with instinct and football smart as consolation prizes.
A good argument can be made that it goes all the way back to his very first pick in Timmons.
He was always a much better physically gifted athlete than he was a smart football player.
Took him some number of years before it clicked.

Last edited by Stosh-67 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:27 am 

I agree with Franco. Tomlin drafted the person not the player. THAT my friends has to stop.

Anyway, lot of resources being given to the defense with at best mixed results

Tombert has IMO hit on early picks Heyward, Tuitt, and even a 3rd rounder in Hargrave.

Watt a definite rd 1 hit, but he runs too hot and cold for my liking.

Bud a rd 1 bust

Sean Davis rd 2and the before mentioned Edmunds rd 1 make for the worst safety duo I can recall going back to the strike year of Cornell Gowdy etc. Absolute waste of two invaluable early draft picks

Artie Burns ROUND 1. Now I’m just upsetting myself.

Pricey Free agent Mark Barron has impressed me not. Him pointing hysterically at James White motioning across the formation was brutal to watch. Chase him ya barrel of monkey nuts!

Lot of draft capital given up to acquire Bush who is scUM but I hope pans out.

Pet players with zero upside such as Dirty Red and Chickillo are also crippling this team. This too must be stopped.

Since he’s obviously not getting fired somebody at least needs to lock Tomlin out of the draft room.

P.S. I still don’t have any idea how Keith Butler still has a job.

Last edited by SteelDrama on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.