It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steelers at Patriots: Famous Last Words
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:54 am 

alhill wrote:
It's not unusual in the Tomlin era for us to plant some early season turd games. I'm not terribly concerned yet.

Yeah it's all good. Early season beat downs by the Patriots should be expected. Tomlin will right the ship!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#Obviously

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:59 am 

I gotta be honest - I feel the Steelers could have had All-Pros at every position - and they still lose that game Sunday night.

The difference in preparation and the gameplans were that glaring.

I get it with rust... we can't have threads during the preseason demanding why a player is even playing at all, and then be angry about why they didn't get more reps in preseason.

The Patriots were ready for last year's Steelers, and that's exactly what they got.
They tore up man defense with their illegal pick plays.
They feasted on the same running plays they saw on film, and forced the steelers into totally predictable offensive situations.

Steelers got coached into a corner, but it is week 1 and I think given the changes on both sides of the ball it might take a bit to find an identity and find what will work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:08 am 

ToddHaleysNineIron wrote:
I gotta be honest - I feel the Steelers could have had All-Pros at every position - and they still lose that game Sunday night.

I get it with rust... we can't have threads during the preseason demanding why a player is even playing at all, and then be angry about why they didn't get more reps in preseason.

The Patriots were ready for last year's Steelers, and that's exactly what they got.
They feasted on the same running plays they saw on film, and forced the steelers into totally predictable offensive situations.

Steelers got coached into a corner, but it is week 1 and I think given the changes on both sides of the ball it might take a bit to find an identity and find what will work.

The bolded is reason to believe this thing can turn around.

Our receiving group was utter dogshit and that will have to change. Switzer has to go back to the role he had last season. Washington and Johnson are going to have to emerge it appears, we can't count on Moncrief at this point.

As others have stated, get the football into the hands of Vance McDonald.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:21 am 

Havoc wrote:

The bolded is reason to believe this thing can turn around.

Our receiving group was utter dogshit and that will have to change. Switzer has to go back to the role he had last season. Washington and Johnson are going to have to emerge it appears, we can't count on Moncrief at this point.

As others have stated, get the football into the hands of Vance McDonald.

Right there with ya on all counts, Havoc. Hobbled Pouncey, Feiler getting tooled and Villy getting pretty well taken to the woodshed didn't help the run game, either.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:36 am 

I’m also sick and tired of Tuitt and Heyward, who are the veteran anchors of this defense, disappearing for massive chunks of time. Tuitt might be the largest human being I’ve ever seen, and beyond the first two defensive series, the guy was completely invisible.

I’m close to being over this loss, but I’m not going to listen to people drum up excuses for that kind of loss. What’s clear to me is Tomlin is a scared little turd and I suggest a mutiny if he isn’t going to have the balls to try and go into New England and win. Fuck him. Almost 11 minutes left in the 3rd quarter when he decided to kick a FG from the 1 yard line instead of score. That is a guy who is most certainly living in his fears and it’s pathetic. Who waives the white flag with almost an entire half of football left to be played?

And this sloppy, unprepared attitude is trickling down to the players. If your coaching staff looks that shitty and unprepared for a prime time opener against the champs, why would the players get up for the game? Does anyone think the players looked up for the game?

These young guys look to the coaches for leadership and what they see are three guys who are woefully unprepared when the bullets start flying. It’s a systemic issue at this point and a dangerous one. Look at Ben’s body language; he doesn’t want to coach. He wants to be coached and he knows we have coaching issues.

OK. On to this week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:51 am 

Quote:
And this sloppy, unprepared attitude is trickling down to the players. If your coaching staff looks that shitty and unprepared for a prime time opener against the champs, why would the players get up for the game? Does anyone think the players looked up for the game?

These young guys look to the coaches for leadership and what they see are three guys who are woefully unprepared when the bullets start flying. It’s a systemic issue at this point and a dangerous one. Look at Ben’s body language; he doesn’t want to coach. He wants to be coached and he knows we have coaching issues.

Here’s the way I see it...
Except for Roethlisberger and a few others like Haden, Nelson, and Barron that have come over from other teams, Mike Tomlin is the only NFL head coach that most of these guys has known. This is the norm for them...how preparation is supposed to be. They take the cue from their fearless leader.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:37 am 

Ice wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Watching Drew Brees play QB, I think Ben needs to lose weight and improve his footwork. Ben looked SLUGGISH last night.

But during camp and preseason, most were saying (and I'm talking media types and folks sifting through video on here) that he looked sharp and in shape. Now multiple folks think he's fat and sluggish.

Great article, btw, B2B.

Any decent QB will look good in passing drills where there are no bullets flying. Ben didn't look that great during preseason and seems like he takes around 2 games to looking like his old self. The problem that this year he can't afford to do that.

Very disappointing to watch that debacle last night and it was why I didn't want the Steelers to defer the kick. The Steelers' best unit is on the offensive side of the ball. The D looked again like dumpster juice against the Pats attack yet again. I don't trust them at all and never will because the IQ and coaching are all lacking.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:45 am 

Hinestuff wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
With the Raiders winning I put the Steelers are the 3rd worst team this week.

1. Dolphins
2. Bears
3. Steelers

Welcome to hell.

Orange, at least the Bears D showed up. I would say we're a step above the Dolphins and that's not saying much.

I almost had us #2 but the Bears played at home and they didn’t play the Pats. Yes, their defense is for real and I’d replace everyone of their defensive players with ours in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:19 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Hinestuff wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
With the Raiders winning I put the Steelers are the 3rd worst team this week.

1. Dolphins
2. Bears
3. Steelers

Welcome to hell.

Orange, at least the Bears D showed up. I would say we're a step above the Dolphins and that's not saying much.

I almost had us #2 but the Bears played at home and they didn’t play the Pats. Yes, their defense is for real and I’d replace everyone of their defensive players with ours in a heartbeat.

I might have to put the Browns at 2 or 3. They lost by 30 at home to the Titans. Thats pretty bad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:35 pm 

Stillcajun wrote:
Ice wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Watching Drew Brees play QB, I think Ben needs to lose weight and improve his footwork. Ben looked SLUGGISH last night.

But during camp and preseason, most were saying (and I'm talking media types and folks sifting through video on here) that he looked sharp and in shape. Now multiple folks think he's fat and sluggish.

Great article, btw, B2B.

Any decent QB will look good in passing drills where there are no bullets flying. Ben didn't look that great during preseason and seems like he takes around 2 games to looking like his old self. The problem that this year he can't afford to do that.

Very disappointing to watch that debacle last night and it was why I didn't want the Steelers to defer the kick. The Steelers' best unit is on the offensive side of the ball. The D looked again like dumpster juice against the Pats attack yet again. I don't trust them at all and never will because the IQ and coaching are all lacking.

I was mostly taking issue with the posts that seemed to imply that he'd become "fat" between preseason game number three and Sunday night. I agree lack of preparation is an issue, just some of the commentary has been a little over the top.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:03 pm 

Has it occurred to anyone that this loss is a combination of a number of things? Granted, there were questionable personnel and play call decisions by the coaching staff. I agree. But imagine all those players we were all excited about actually showed up. What if the O line decide to play and controlled the LOS at least half the time? What if Moncrief catches the ball? What if BR actually played well? What if the secondary made the right decisions? What if the front seven pressured brady up the middle all game long? It would have at least been a contest and not a blow out, and I can accept that.

My problem is that they used the same defensive schemes with minor twists, and belichick and brady were prepared for it, and were prepared to change on a dime. You all hate tomlin. I get it. It's been said a billion times. But players play. I understand getting players prepared, but ultimately they have to execute. This team did not execute. If there is any one coach I want gone, it's butler and the entire defensive coaching staff. The offense simply didn't show up, played vanilla, and were a bit discombobulated in the first game with an entirely revamped WR group.

And I'll ask again. How much freedom does BR have in play calling? I have a sneaking suspicion that BR altered play calls, and audibled into shit. But one thing for sure. Belichick knows how to confuse BR.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:28 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Has it occurred to anyone that this loss is a combination of a number of things? Granted, there were questionable personnel and play call decisions by the coaching staff. I agree. But imagine all those players we were all excited about actually showed up. What if the O line decide to play and controlled the LOS at least half the time? What if Moncrief catches the ball? What if BR actually played well? What if the secondary made the right decisions? What if the front seven pressured brady up the middle all game long? It would have at least been a contest and not a blow out, and I can accept that.

My problem is that they used the same defensive schemes with minor twists, and belichick and brady were prepared for it, and were prepared to change on a dime. You all hate tomlin. I get it. It's been said a billion times. But players play. I understand getting players prepared, but ultimately they have to execute. This team did not execute. If there is any one coach I want gone, it's butler and the entire defensive coaching staff. The offense simply didn't show up, played vanilla, and were a bit discombobulated in the first game with an entirely revamped WR group.

And I'll ask again. How much freedom does BR have in play calling? I have a sneaking suspicion that BR altered play calls, and audibled into shit. But one thing for sure. Belichick knows how to confuse BR.

Hate is such a strong word. I don't hate the man like a Hitler or a Stalin. However, I have had it with him as head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I'm not absolving the players because of horrid coaching. You're correct - the players have to play and play well vs the Pats of course. To not show up like they did is totally undefendable and unforgivable.

#Obviously

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm 

Personally I think the problems the O-line had were more to do with the Patriots knowing exactly what was coming and blowing up those gaps... I mean a few times linebackers just to a spot and blew up whomever was there.

They studied last years successful plays, and were clearly ready for them. Probably had something to do with the way Conner "looked" to everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:42 pm 

Quote:
And I'll ask again. How much freedom does BR have in play calling? I have a sneaking suspicion that BR altered play calls, and audibled into shit.

Other than in the no huddle, he probably has no freedom in play calling. And even with the no huddle his options are limited according to situation and personnel. And while he does have the freedom to audible on most occasions, those options are also limited. You’d be surprised how many people believe that the QB has the entire playbook at his audible convenience.
I doubt there are any of today’s QBs that have play calling duties, football coaches are control freaks.
Now all that said, realize that for every play sent in, there are likely 2 or 3 options for the QB to check to at the LOS depending on the defenses look.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:49 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Quote:
And I'll ask again. How much freedom does BR have in play calling? I have a sneaking suspicion that BR altered play calls, and audibled into shit.

Other than in the no huddle, he probably has no freedom in play calling. And even with the no huddle his options are limited according to situation and personnel. And while he does have the freedom to audible on most occasions, those options are also limited. You’d be surprised how many people believe that the QB has the entire playbook at his audible convenience.
I doubt there are any of today’s QBs that have play calling duties, football coaches are control freaks.
Now all that said, realize that for every play sent in, there are likely 2 or 3 options for the QB to check to at the LOS depending on the defenses look.
I was wondering about the toss sweep three straight times. WTF? If an OC calls that in, I'd be staring him down from the huddle.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:53 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Quote:

I was wondering about the toss sweep three straight times. WTF? If an OC calls that in, I'd be staring him down from the huddle.

That’s junior high level football right there. I couldn’t begin to try to explain the reasoning...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:45 pm 

Wow, and we thought opening with a rain soaked tie was a disaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:52 pm 

And why would you try running with 9 guys on the LOS?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:55 pm 

I was completely disgusted with the massive turd the Steelers were on the field in Foxboro Sunday night. And after watching Red Zone Channel during the day, there was a lot of pre-season football played in the Week 1 games.

Feeling like that going into last night's games my expectations were low. I was shocked at how good the Saints-Texans game was. Great game to watch throughout - felt and looked like a playoff game - and the ending didn't disappoint in terms of excitement. Both teams were flying on the field.

And to my surprise, the Raiders-Donkeys game was pretty good too. Not nearly as good as the previous game but still - Carr was very efficient - the Raiders played excellent defense and Flacco was, well, Flacco (he sucks).

The highlight of the 2nd game was when the Raiders fans were chanting F&#K AB! F&#K AB!

Most of the players in last night's games were flying on the field - playing with high energy and passion. Something that is missing far too often from "my team." They played the way I expect pro NFL players should unlike "my team." I enjoyed watching the games last night and came away re-energized so I'm ready for another week with some hope that the Steelers team I see on the field on Sunday looks like other teams that play with fire, passion showing their will to win.

Momma bled Black & Gold giving birth to me in the Burgh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:21 pm 

Ice wrote:
Stallworth16 wrote:
Well all I can say is Steelers have a must win (emotionally) against the Seahawks. For the players and the fan base.

I'll buy that. It would be a huge win.

And SteelyourFace, feel free to be jealous of the avatar. A nice t-shirt version is available from phunkythreads.com.

Jealous? you betcha.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:35 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Seeing Ben trapped in a nightmare of playing lackluster football is my version of hell. I’m sure it is for Ben, too. Why does it happen some days? Why does it happen almost every game in NE? Why didn’t it happen when Steelers were in NE, facing Belichick... but without Brady? The offense was great that day.

Because these Pittsburgh Steelers generally play scared, vanilla and/or too conservative - whichever you want to call it - and it bites them in the ass every time against dregs ... because it allows them to stay in games they shouldn’t be in and against well coached teams ... because it’s just too easy to scheme against.

Ben May have had some poor throws .... but I have said ten million times now - with a QB like Ben you CANNOT hide the ball under your shirt and play like pussies to start a game and then just switch it all on once you are AGAIN down. One because he doesn’t roll like that, two because it’s predictable as hell and three because it’s not a plan it’s a reaction and considered gimmcky O by a stale HC. ..., and four because IMHO this team is not built to play like that. It’s always IMO been one of the odd contradictions of this HC. He wants to and is drawn to Martyball but he doesn’t build his team for it and ignores that his QB is not that. It’s such a waste IMO. Modern football, this team and this QB are not for Martyball and this HC doesn’t know how to coach or play Marty right. It’s absurd bizarro football

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:43 pm 

As I said (and posted on another forum I'm on)...there was PI on Johnny Holton deep in NE's end early in the game.

And, of course, Tomlin could have challenged that it wasn't called (new this year) but didn't.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe ... 1909100086

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:16 pm 

SixTrophies wrote:
And, of course, Tomlin could have challenged that it wasn't called (new this year) but didn't.

It was super weak. I actually would have been kind of pissed if that was determined to be DPI.

Proven - Tomlin is bad at game management.
Given - 31 other teams would have fired Tomlin long ago.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:21 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
SixTrophies wrote:

It was super weak. I actually would have been kind of pissed if that was determined to be DPI.

The game was at Foxboro vs the Pats. You know "the rules" - you know that if the Steelers did that to a Pats player it would've been flagged

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:40 am 

Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Steelers do what they do... :oops:

Can't stand this type of coaching [if that's how you'd describe it] tactic. Shitty, lazy, complacent and unprofessional. Contributes to self-inflicted losses.

Then there's the per the standard; Ben still finding his groove since he doesn't participate much during preseason. Unless you identify standing on the sidelines giving high fives and listening in on the plays being conveyed to his backups that see more action then he does. The tradition of not playing your stars in preseason isn't without it's value, eg. Avoiding injury. I just would hope that this doesn't continue with Ben's replacement. Risky? Sure. So is getting outta bed in the morning. QB's need that time to build report with their skill position players, OLine while taking off the rust after an off season of playing golf. JMO

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next