It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Positives
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:05 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
DrMalba wrote:
Im going to go ahead and believe the Steelers are still tinkering in the lab with the offense this year, they dont quite know what they have with this WR core, and eventually we will figure out ways to get the production to improve. An inauspicious start, to say the least.

This is why this year, of all years, it was a crime for the Steelers to have treated preseason the same way they always treated it.

Ben should have played at least a quarter of game 2 and 2-3 quarters of game 3...to do this exact kind of tinkering.

This is a hard schedule this year and there are lots of good teams in the AFC...one game is going to be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs yet again. You can't ease into a season and give away a game yet again. Yeah- the Pats are that good they likely win no matter what we do, but last night shows what happens when your QB plays a relative millisecond in preseason and establishes no rapport with any of the key players he needs to establish it with.

I guess I was wrong when I said I saw an intensity in preseason I hadn't seen before.

I agree. Russell Wilson plays in 3 of the 4 preseason games every year. Other QBs don’t play, but other QBs don’t look like complete ass like BR does at the start of the season.

But it’s not like Tomlin has the scrotum to actually COACH and tell Ben that he’s going to be playing more in the preseason to get acclimated with his new system; new WRs. Why would we expect Tomlin to do that? Hell, we are only playing the reigning champs week 1 on prime time.

Ben is a stubborn prick and our coach is a shithead moron and that’s just the way it is. All we can hope for is the team getting “hot” at the right time of the year and a miracle happening. Tomlin doesn’t scheme and Ben doesn’t think he needs to do anything to improve. Watch the interview he did with Chris Simms that someone posted a few weeks ago; Ben literally doesn’t do shit differently year to year. He practices, takes veteran days off and throws the ball around with his kids.

And look, I love Ben and think we are fortunate to have watched his career. But the dude is what he is and is going to be.

What was more shocking last night; the way we played or letting yourself be talked into thinking a victory was obtainable?

You are also assuming MT cares about this game. While I am sure he would like to win, I think the organism that is the Pittsburgh Steelers is all centered around winning the division first and then piece together some game plans and hope winning the division makes you talented enough to win the 4 ball lottery (playoffs) and then the 2 ball lottery(Super Bowl).

That is it. Get it through our collective heads. That is why there is all this tinkering at the beginning of the season, and probably why we get burned when a divisional team is too early....1st or second week.

The Pats are all geared around being the absolute best......PERIOD....FULL STOP.....END OF TRANSMISSION!

That is the difference.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:14 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
DrMalba wrote:
Im going to go ahead and believe the Steelers are still tinkering in the lab with the offense this year, they dont quite know what they have with this WR core, and eventually we will figure out ways to get the production to improve. An inauspicious start, to say the least.

This is why this year, of all years, it was a crime for the Steelers to have treated preseason the same way they always treated it.

Ben should have played at least a quarter of game 2 and 2-3 quarters of game 3...to do this exact kind of tinkering.

This is a hard schedule this year and there are lots of good teams in the AFC...one game is going to be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs yet again. You can't ease into a season and give away a game yet again. Yeah- the Pats are that good they likely win no matter what we do, but last night shows what happens when your QB plays a relative millisecond in preseason and establishes no rapport with any of the key players he needs to establish it with.

This season starts with New England (loss), Seattle (still a good defense and Wilson gives us fits), out to San Fran (should win but it is a West Coast trio), and then Cincinnati and Baltimore.

Now JuJu and Watt are injured. "Easing in" could make this team 2-3/1-4 a quarter of the way through the season and buried in tiebreaker morass.

I guess I was wrong when I said I saw an intensity in preseason I hadn't seen before.

Well it better show up now.

100%.
Same routine.
Different year.
And as you say..............In a year in which our WR group and Ben needed as many game reps as possible........with a re-shuffling of WR spots, No AB, new players in Moncrief, rookie in Johnson, 2nd year cohesion with Washington...........we chose the standard, lazy, less intense approach towards preparation.

Vet days off kick in Wednesday.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:18 pm 

Quote:

What was more shocking last night; the way we played or letting yourself be talked into thinking a victory was obtainable?

You are also assuming MT cares about this game. While I am sure he would like to win, I think the organism that is the Pittsburgh Steelers is all centered around winning the division first and then piece together some game plans and hope winning the division makes you talented enough to win the 4 ball lottery (playoffs) and then the 2 ball lottery(Super Bowl).

That is it. Get it through our collective heads. That is why there is all this tinkering at the beginning of the season, and probably why we get burned when a divisional team is too early....1st or second week.

The Pats are all geared around being the absolute best......PERIOD....FULL STOP.....END OF TRANSMISSION!

That is the difference.

Winning AFC games, no matter what time of the year it is, should be a priority. I forget, did we make the playoffs last season? If Tomlin doesn’t take games like last night as serious as he should, well then fuck him even more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:19 pm 

DrMalba wrote:
I know that we just got shellacked in all phases, but honestly, the defense played well for stretches. Yes they got tooled by Brady once or twice, as does everyone. But the offense was nonexistent, and led to the defense being on the field in long stretches, which leads to the breakdowns and mistakes we saw.

We need to fix the production problem on offense and that starts with Fichtner and Tomlin. The Stillers brain trust rolled out the same scheme that allowed them to run on the Pats last year thinking that they would be able to do the same. The Pats looked at our lineup and saw
a) solid WR at #1
b) mediocre journeyman at #2
b) unproven second-year guy at #3

they looked at their secondary and said, we are better than you, go ahead and try to throw and we'll stack up against the run and see what you can do. They didn't even double Juju for most of the game! And as it turns out, they were exactly right.

A lot of people are advocating to move Juju around and I agree this is part of what should be taking place. Is this quick throw spread BS really what Ben and this group are best at executing? And if you're gonna do a spread attack and distribute the ball around - where the fuck was the TE position last night? Scheme better and at least that game could have been competitive.

I'm not sure I buy that Ben is lost, he had a bunch of drops last night and it seems to me he's lacking confidence in this WR core. Montcrief should not be able to sit down this week, his seat should be so hot. One or two of his drops, especially the dropped TD, could have changed the tide of the game.

I can agree with all of that. However, the defensive scheme was the same brady and belichick have seen for at least a decade. The speed in the middle masked a bit of it since bush is fast. At least that's what it looked like to me. The o line was putrid, and BR didn't play well. The offensive scheme was predictable as hell.

But I have an alternate theory about the offense. Last year, when AB was held out of the last game, the team in general took a half to settle itself after the previous three days of AB's antics. Players admitted to as much. It would surprise me that the announcement on saturday that NE signed AB rattled the offense. Preparing all week to try and make a statement against NE, and then finding out the day before the game that the opponent you are playing is only going to get better with AB. IOW, they tried too hard. I know that sounds silly, but beating the pats is as much mental as it is physical. I'm not excusing tomlin's mistakes in personnel or the FG call at the one yard line, but players play. At some point one has to acknowledge that they are the ones on the field making plays, and not the coaches. Last night was the perfect storm of bad scheming, poor execution by a number of players, and an opponent that has had your number for a decade, at least. I said this in the game thread, but I think butler should go, regardless of how bad the offense played. And I'd like to know what percentage of play calls BR calls himself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:21 pm 

I was cautious optimistic about last night foolish me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:24 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
DrMalba wrote:
I know that we just got shellacked in all phases, but honestly, the defense played well for stretches. Yes they got tooled by Brady once or twice, as does everyone. But the offense was nonexistent, and led to the defense being on the field in long stretches, which leads to the breakdowns and mistakes we saw.

We need to fix the production problem on offense and that starts with Fichtner and Tomlin. The Stillers brain trust rolled out the same scheme that allowed them to run on the Pats last year thinking that they would be able to do the same. The Pats looked at our lineup and saw
a) solid WR at #1

they looked at their secondary and said, we are better than you, go ahead and try to throw and we'll stack up against the run and see what you can do. They didn't even double Juju for most of the game! And as it turns out, they were exactly right.

A lot of people are advocating to move Juju around and I agree this is part of what should be taking place. Is this quick throw spread BS really what Ben and this group are best at executing? And if you're gonna do a spread attack and distribute the ball around - where the fuck was the TE position last night? Scheme better and at least that game could have been competitive.

I'm not sure I buy that Ben is lost, he had a bunch of drops last night and it seems to me he's lacking confidence in this WR core. Montcrief should not be able to sit down this week, his seat should be so hot. One or two of his drops, especially the dropped TD, could have changed the tide of the game.

I can agree with all of that. However, the defensive scheme was the same brady and belichick have seen for at least a decade. The speed in the middle masked a bit of it since bush is fast. At least that's what it looked like to me. The o line was putrid, and BR didn't play well. The offensive scheme was predictable as hell.

But I have an alternate theory about the offense. Last year, when AB was held out of the last game, the team in general took a half to settle itself after the previous three days of AB's antics. Players admitted to as much. It would surprise me that the announcement on saturday that NE signed AB rattled the offense. Preparing all week to try and make a statement against NE, and then finding out the day before the game that the opponent you are playing is only going to get better with AB. IOW, they tried too hard. I know that sounds silly, but beating the pats is as much mental as it is physical. I'm not excusing tomlin's mistakes in personnel or the FG call at the one yard line, but players play. At some point one has to acknowledge that they are the ones on the field making plays, and not the coaches. Last night was the perfect storm of bad scheming, poor execution by a number of players, and an opponent that has had your number for a decade, at least. I said this in the game thread, but I think butler should go, regardless of how bad the offense played. And I'd like to know what percentage of play calls BR calls himself.

COR-TEN....this is either...
a. Complete, unmitigated bullshit, or.....
b. True, which would be wayyyyyy more concerning.

I'm going with a). Last night's loss had zero to do with Pats signing AB, and everything to do with Mike Tomlin being a dumb mother-fucker and having his team completely unprepared for the opener. Last year, he ties the Browns; this year he's obliterated by the Patriots. And...the receiving corps that we were told by so many asshats herein, would be just fine, wouldn't miss AB...sucked ass completely.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:26 pm 

The gameplan and personnel choices last night were both bizarre and moronic. It was preseason-level indifference. It looked like a fucking preseason game where they were still trying to figure out who to play and what to do.

And it's the same imbecilic coaching and preparation we've come to expect to cost us a couple of games every year. The worst part was Tomlin had that thousand yard stare most of the night that seemed to indicate he was shocked none of this worked. Yeah, you can't fix stupid....and you're dumber for trying.

Like I said before, it was great to get NE week one. We know we almost always lose to them, and we know we normally shit the bed easing into the season. So the NFL actually did us a favor. Didn't seem like they were trying to win the game....except Tomlin looked like he thought they were.

Proven - Tomlin is bad at game management.
Given - 31 other teams would have fired Tomlin long ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:28 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
DrMalba wrote:

a) solid WR at #1

COR-TEN....this is either...
a. Complete, unmitigated bullshit, or.....
b. True, which would be wayyyyyy more concerning.

I'm going with a). Last night's loss had zero to do with Pats signing AB, and everything to do with Mike Tomlin being a dumb mother-fucker and having his team completely unprepared for the opener. Last year, he ties the Browns; this year he's obliterated by the Patriots. And...the receiving corps that we were told by so many asshats herein, would be just fine, wouldn't miss AB...sucked ass completely.

8 months to prepare for a season opener and we get this unprepared, sloppy, un-focused team.
I have said it many times, over and over.
This team loses more games before the coin toss, before the opening kick than any team in football.
Starts with the HC.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:34 pm 

The gameplan and personnel choices last night were both bizarre and moronic. It was preseason-level indifference. It looked like a fucking preseason game where they were still trying to figure out who to play and what to do.

spot on it was like they were drawing the plays in the dirt to call yesterday,
ALSO why have a FB if you don't use him?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:07 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
DrMalba wrote:
An inauspicious start, to say the least.

Yes, defense did look okay at time....but then you have The Dullard Mike Tomlin follow it up by punting on 4th & an inch, kicking a field goal from the one fuckin' yard line. Can't play that way against these mother-fuckers....can't be risk averse....next you know you're down 27-3 and taking some bullshit solace that you put three points on the board.

The FG kick decision was indefensible, I agree.

As far as fourth and an inch, when the fuck is Ben just gonna line up and push forward get us the first down?? You want to talk about a lack of stones...lets look at Benji on this one. To me, that play should be AUTOMATIC with a 6'5" 220+ lunk like Roethlisberger and one of the best lines in football. It's not like Haley is holding him back now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:36 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:

spot on it was like they were drawing the plays in the dirt to call yesterday,
ALSO why have a FB if you don't use him?

Yup and I am a huge Nix fan.

But honestly I don't think Nix has a place on this team with how they want to run this offense. Not like Nix is some huge ST's ace either.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:41 pm 

I didn’t really mean to call you out JaySteel or Lakecrest.

I guess I’m just so underwhelmed by that performance.

Trying to find a positive about that game and I feel like e1 played like a bunch of pussies.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:23 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:

Trying to find a positive about that game and I feel like e1 played like a bunch of pussies.

No problem man. It was such a frustrating night, understandable for everyone to be a little feisty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:28 pm 

JaySteel72 wrote:
Hinestuff wrote:

No problem man. It was such a frustrating night, understandable for everyone to be a little feisty.
Have we turned the corner into civility? Spectacular. Kudos. Great example for all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:33 pm 

TB wrote:
We arguably weren't the worst team in the NFL this week (maybe the Dolphins were worse, it's close).

Patriots are going to challenge that 73-0 score next week. They can score as many as they want to put on the board.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:11 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Vet days off kick in Wednesday.

I swear if Ben has off this Wednesday so Mason and Hodges can get reps my head will explode.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:26 pm 

DrMalba wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
DrMalba wrote:

Yes, defense did look okay at time....but then you have The Dullard Mike Tomlin follow it up by punting on 4th & an inch, kicking a field goal from the one fuckin' yard line. Can't play that way against these mother-fuckers....can't be risk averse....next you know you're down 27-3 and taking some bullshit solace that you put three points on the board.

As far as fourth and an inch, when the fuck is Ben just gonna line up and push forward get us the first down?? You want to talk about a lack of stones...lets look at Benji on this one. To me, that play should be AUTOMATIC with a 6'5" 220+ lunk like Roethlisberger and one of the best lines in football. It's not like Haley is holding him back now.

I get what you are saying and it's all the worse with a 6'5" 250+ QB not getting that shit done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:00 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
StillerDownSouth wrote:
Switz might be the worst slot receiver we have ever had, and Moncrief was down right horrible tonight. I would get Washington and Johnson in there ASAP, give them a chance to grow, cause them other two dudes suck balls.

Let me introduce you to Dri Archer!

And who was that goof they drafted from Florida? The one that beat up his girlfriend...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 pm 

Ya know, if Ben can’t sneak for two inches, maybe he shouldn’t be playing this game

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:03 pm 

AirRescueFF wrote:
Thought he was dancing. Don't remember that last year.

Yep. Was dancing into the line instead of exploding like last season. He looked ascared.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:20 pm 

DrMalba wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
DrMalba wrote:

Didn’t they punt there? So Ben is supposed to call off the punt team?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:06 pm 

Steelers fan for 50 years.

Let me tell You, I have not seen a game were there was no sense of urgency, motivation, or desire to win

Literally, I am at a loss of what was on display Sunday night. I do not see this ending well at the end of season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:58 pm 

Watt had a damn good game. It didn't show in the box score but he was continually in the backfield. It also highlights how passive coverage gifts Brady easy throws. Watt was in his face on at least 4-5 occasions. A bit of aggression and physicality with Edelman & co at LOS? Watt causes havoc. As it was he had 5 pressure and 4 QB hits. Pats were forced to double him a bunch. Which was an easy choice as Dupree was all going nowhere bull rush all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:10 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
StillerDownSouth wrote:
Switz might be the worst slot receiver we have ever had, and Moncrief was down right horrible tonight. I would get Washington and Johnson in there ASAP, give them a chance to grow, cause them other two dudes suck balls.

Let me introduce you to Dri Archer!

And who was that goof they drafted from Florida? The one that beat up his girlfriend...

Chris Rainey.

Tomlin been looking for a pip squeak for a while now.

Could be why he’s hell bent of trying to get the world to believe Switzer is an actual NFL WR.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:19 pm 

955876 wrote:
Could be why he’s hell bent of trying to get the world to believe Switzer is an actual NFL WR.

They're going to eventually cut Switzer....

Everyone cheers....

Then....

They re-sign Eli Rogers :lol:

Proven - Tomlin is bad at game management.
Given - 31 other teams would have fired Tomlin long ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next