It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Positives
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:15 am 

positives.....cant imagine things can get any worse next week.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:54 am 

Rod & Wire Mill wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
JaySteel72 wrote:
I know he didnt get much of a chance tonight but did any of you guys think Conner looked very average? I love the guy but i just saw no explosion at all. Maybe it was just the matchup but he just doesnt seem like he scares many defenses.

I honestly felt that he could have had 200 all purpose yards if they wouldn’t have deferred the kickoff and got him established. He was primed and ready and I thought looked good. Just needed touches.

Dunno, o line looked out of sync run blocking all night, at times simply awful. Conversely, they started right at Watt, establishing the run, getting the corner and going from there.

You are probably more correct than my feeling. I just rewatched the first couple of series...it is hard to say how honestly. They pitched to Connor 3 times in a row I believe, and then stuffed him on the 3rd one; imagine that. Samuels did not seem to deliver on the short yardage runs. Penalties and drops and the Munchak being gone....it makes you want to throw out the baby and the bathwater.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:44 am 

Positive: Tickets to next week's home game will be cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:52 am 

It may not seem like a positive but I really liked the work of Bush and Barron in coverage. I am sorry but James White and Rex Burkhead are probably the best pass catching RB duo in the NFL.

Bush is a rookie, Barron is playing in his first game as a Steeler, they are thrown into about the absolute worst position you could possibly be in terms of being an ILB in coverage.

Yes, we lost he game, and White and Rex did pretty well, and yet...

...I liked what I saw from Bush and Barron. They did not seem to be overly outmatched, I saw a lot of times where NE was really taking it to them with picks and rubs, doing every little trick to get separation.

B and B have the next 15 games to get better and better. The speed, quickness and fluidity is all there with these two ILBs. I would love to see B&B in a rematch with White and Burkhead when they have a full season of experience playing together.

Kam Kelly did about as well as can be expected facing Tom Brady. Yeah, he had a miscommunication that gave up an easy TD. I also saw him come up and make tackles that I didn't expect him to. Again, I liked what I saw from him and what he did in the preseason. But again, to start your first NFL game against Tom Brady in NE??? What were people expecting? That he would have 2 INTs, take one to the house for a pick six??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:58 am 

Hargrave and Watt looked good from what I saw. The other 9 guys looked like absolute dog shit.

I'll give Bush a pass. Not many harder first assignments than playing the Pats in Foxboro. Great learning experience for him even if he came up way short.

AB Words of Wisdom: "...this be my first meeting with Mr Rooney ever as Antonio Brown the man not AB84 the player in locker! never been to my house; there house; like what AM I Really doing! Less then what you bargain for more than real #Truth"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:12 am 

The Steelers seem very easy to read.

I mean it's 3rd and 1 and they come out with a spread.

They ran what seemed to run the same play 3 times in a row.

The offense seemed very vanilla.

I watch the Patriots throw from heavy sets, run from spread sets. They dictate what you do then attack you. There is purpose.

The Steelers playcalling just seemed more about banging their head against a wall.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:18 am 

Ben was off on most of his deep balls last night.
and looks like I was wrong about Moncrief having a positive impact at least after game 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:22 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
JaySteel72 wrote:
I know he didnt get much of a chance tonight but did any of you guys think Conner looked very average? I love the guy but i just saw no explosion at all. Maybe it was just the matchup but he just doesnt seem like he scares many defenses.

I honestly felt that he could have had 200 all purpose yards if they wouldn’t have deferred the kickoff and got him established. He was primed and ready and I thought looked good. Just needed touches.

What fucking game did you watch?

He didn’t have a great game, but I didn’t see the oline open any holes.

Thought the oline was fucking horrible.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:25 am 

Scunge wrote:
It may not seem like a positive but I really liked the work of Bush and Barron in coverage. I am sorry but James White and Rex Burkhead are probably the best pass catching RB duo in the NFL.

Bush is a rookie, Barron is playing in his first game as a Steeler, they are thrown into about the absolute worst position you could possibly be in terms of being an ILB in coverage.

Yes, we lost he game, and White and Rex did pretty well, and yet...

...I liked what I saw from Bush and Barron. They did not seem to be overly outmatched, I saw a lot of times where NE was really taking it to them with picks and rubs, doing every little trick to get separation.

B and B have the next 15 games to get better and better. The speed, quickness and fluidity is all there with these two ILBs. I would love to see B&B in a rematch with White and Burkhead when they have a full season of experience playing together.

Kam Kelly did about as well as can be expected facing Tom Brady. Yeah, he had a miscommunication that gave up an easy TD. I also saw him come up and make tackles that I didn't expect him to. Again, I liked what I saw from him and what he did in the preseason. But again, to start your first NFL game against Tom Brady in NE??? What were people expecting? That he would have 2 INTs, take one to the house for a pick six??

I didnt see what you saw out of Barron.

He was a step slow on just about every pass play. Looked slow.

You liked what you saw out of Barron? Dam I thought he was awful.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:26 am 

sorry but they really were no positives for me

Last edited by steelmann58 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:26 am 

GreekSteel wrote:
positives.....cant imagine things can get any worse next week.

Agree Greek. Can’t play a worse game...I don’t think.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:31 am 

I'm still bullish on this team

- First week vs arguably the best team in the league
-Ben is always rusty to start (I understand why he is, that's another convo)
-Handful of new players, especially the WR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:43 am 

Positives: I don't think Tomlin lost any challenges. This could be the beginning of a trend!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:02 am 

BarryFoster wrote:
Boz 1-1 w a long of 19

No turnovers

Tomlin already in mid season form kicking a FG down 20-0 from the 2

No bad challenges

Switzer

Butler’s D rounding into form

No need to get emotionally invested, season promise up in smoke

Switzer is a positive? You're high.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:28 am 

JaySteel72 wrote:

He was one of the best-looking players out there for the Steelers last night.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:40 am 

I agree Conner was one of the best players last night

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:45 am 

Hinestuff wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
JaySteel72 wrote:

Hey calm down, i said it could have been the matchup, i could have been wrong. Lighten the fuck up. After i wrote that i new someone would get all pissy. Maybe it was all just such a clusterfuck i looped Conner in with the rest of it. It was a tough night.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:06 am 

I know that we just got shellacked in all phases, but honestly, the defense played well for stretches. Yes they got tooled by Brady once or twice, as does everyone. But the offense was nonexistent, and led to the defense being on the field in long stretches, which leads to the breakdowns and mistakes we saw.

We need to fix the production problem on offense and that starts with Fichtner and Tomlin. The Stillers brain trust rolled out the same scheme that allowed them to run on the Pats last year thinking that they would be able to do the same. The Pats looked at our lineup and saw
a) solid WR at #1
b) mediocre journeyman at #2
b) unproven second-year guy at #3

they looked at their secondary and said, we are better than you, go ahead and try to throw and we'll stack up against the run and see what you can do. They didn't even double Juju for most of the game! And as it turns out, they were exactly right.

A lot of people are advocating to move Juju around and I agree this is part of what should be taking place. Is this quick throw spread BS really what Ben and this group are best at executing? And if you're gonna do a spread attack and distribute the ball around - where the fuck was the TE position last night? Scheme better and at least that game could have been competitive.

I'm not sure I buy that Ben is lost, he had a bunch of drops last night and it seems to me he's lacking confidence in this WR core. Montcrief should not be able to sit down this week, his seat should be so hot. One or two of his drops, especially the dropped TD, could have changed the tide of the game.

Im going to go ahead and believe the Steelers are still tinkering in the lab with the offense this year, they dont quite know what they have with this WR core, and eventually we will figure out ways to get the production to improve. An inauspicious start, to say the least.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:13 am 

Hinestuff wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
JaySteel72 wrote:

I already corrected myself above your post Hines. I did have to rewatch. Probably replying on the game thread too much. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:16 am 

fritzthecat wrote:
Positives: I don't think Tomlin lost any challenges. This could be the beginning of a trend!

Funny....although, I hate to burst your bubble. Not challenging is a losing. He should have challenged the illegal pick play 2 plays before the penalty where they actually called an illegal pick on the Pats.

You are allowed to challenge pick plays.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:29 am 

They are easing into the season again. WTF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:35 am 

DrMalba wrote:
Im going to go ahead and believe the Steelers are still tinkering in the lab with the offense this year, they dont quite know what they have with this WR core, and eventually we will figure out ways to get the production to improve. An inauspicious start, to say the least.

This is why this year, of all years, it was a crime for the Steelers to have treated preseason the same way they always treated it.

Ben should have played at least a quarter of game 2 and 2-3 quarters of game 3...to do this exact kind of tinkering.

This is a hard schedule this year and there are lots of good teams in the AFC...one game is going to be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs yet again. You can't ease into a season and give away a game yet again. Yeah- the Pats are that good they likely win no matter what we do, but last night shows what happens when your QB plays a relative millisecond in preseason and establishes no rapport with any of the key players he needs to establish it with.

This season starts with New England (loss), Seattle (still a good defense and Wilson gives us fits), out to San Fran (should win but it is a West Coast trio), and then Cincinnati and Baltimore.

Now JuJu and Watt are injured. "Easing in" could make this team 2-3/1-4 a quarter of the way through the season and buried in tiebreaker morass.

I guess I was wrong when I said I saw an intensity in preseason I hadn't seen before.

Well it better show up now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 am 

Jeemie wrote:
DrMalba wrote:

This is why this year, of all years, it was a crime for the Steelers to have treated preseason the same way they always treated it.

Ben should have played at least a quarter of game 2 and 2-3 quarters of game 3...to do this exact kind of tinkering.

This is a hard schedule this year and there are lots of good teams in the AFC...one game is going to be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs yet again. You can't ease into a season and give away a game yet again. Yeah- the Pats are that good they likely win no matter what we do, but last night shows what happens when your QB plays a relative millisecond in preseason and establishes no rapport with any of the key players he needs to establish it with.

I guess I was wrong when I said I saw an intensity in preseason I hadn't seen before.

I agree. Russell Wilson plays in 3 of the 4 preseason games every year. Other QBs don’t play, but other QBs don’t look like complete ass like BR does at the start of the season.

But it’s not like Tomlin has the scrotum to actually COACH and tell Ben that he’s going to be playing more in the preseason to get acclimated with his new system; new WRs. Why would we expect Tomlin to do that? Hell, we are only playing the reigning champs week 1 on prime time.

Ben is a stubborn prick and our coach is a shithead moron and that’s just the way it is. All we can hope for is the team getting “hot” at the right time of the year and a miracle happening. Tomlin doesn’t scheme and Ben doesn’t think he needs to do anything to improve. Watch the interview he did with Chris Simms that someone posted a few weeks ago; Ben literally doesn’t do shit differently year to year. He practices, takes veteran days off and throws the ball around with his kids.

And look, I love Ben and think we are fortunate to have watched his career. But the dude is what he is and is going to be.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:43 am 

DrMalba wrote:
I know that we just got shellacked in all phases, but honestly, the defense played well for stretches. Yes they got tooled by Brady once or twice, as does everyone. But the offense was nonexistent, and led to the defense being on the field in long stretches, which leads to the breakdowns and mistakes we saw.

We need to fix the production problem on offense and that starts with Fichtner and Tomlin. The Stillers brain trust rolled out the same scheme that allowed them to run on the Pats last year thinking that they would be able to do the same. The Pats looked at our lineup and saw
a) solid WR at #1
b) mediocre journeyman at #2
b) unproven second-year guy at #3

they looked at their secondary and said, we are better than you, go ahead and try to throw and we'll stack up against the run and see what you can do. They didn't even double Juju for most of the game! And as it turns out, they were exactly right.

A lot of people are advocating to move Juju around and I agree this is part of what should be taking place. Is this quick throw spread BS really what Ben and this group are best at executing? And if you're gonna do a spread attack and distribute the ball around - where the fuck was the TE position last night? Scheme better and at least that game could have been competitive.

I'm not sure I buy that Ben is lost, he had a bunch of drops last night and it seems to me he's lacking confidence in this WR core. Montcrief should not be able to sit down this week, his seat should be so hot. One or two of his drops, especially the dropped TD, could have changed the tide of the game.

Yes, defense did look okay at time....but then you have The Dullard Mike Tomlin follow it up by punting on 4th & an inch, kicking a field goal from the one fuckin' yard line. Can't play that way against these mother-fuckers....can't be risk averse....next you know you're down 27-3 and taking some bullshit solace that you put three points on the board.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:00 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
JaySteel72 wrote:

They got a 1st series stop and took over the ball with 12 minutes to go in Q1. I don’t get how deferring prevented them from getting the run established. They actually had a pretty decent start to the game. The first 5 minutes was their high water mark. Looked like utter trash from that point on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next