It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:36 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Ice wrote:
I can see where, based on record and results, you could say that.

I'd add that, while maybe "chip on the shoulder" may not be an exact read, from all the reports and interviews available so far, there is a perceivable difference between Ben so far this season and Ben in the recent past. Worth taking note of, at least, as we see how things develop.

I hope it's true. Used to be, that down on the scoreboard with two minutes left, camera goes to Ben on the sideline, you just KNEW Steelers would win. I don't get that anymore.

Last season his teammates / coaches really let him down. Chargers, Raiders, Saints....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:29 am 

To Zeke's point, yeah, Ben had 2 4th quarter comebacks and 3 game winning drives in 2018, and in 2017 I think he led the NFL in both categories with 3 4QCs and 4 GWDs.

It is hard to expect Ben to do more than that when your field goal kicker fell off the face of the earth, went from Pro Bowler to somebody who should have been cut, and a defense that folded at key times, and when you have a youth movement on offense. Young players fumbled in critical times and yes, coaching decisions to lay off the gas did not help either.

But even with all of that said, I am very excited to see what this offense can do with everybody a year wiser, more experienced. Brown and Bell were holding this offense back. This offense's number one goal is not to make your #1 WR and #1 RB fantasy darlings, not to make them superstars, it is and always has been to score points. Somewhere along the line that got all twisted up, it became more concerned with giving Brown and Bell their stat lines and less on winning and evolving on offense.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:10 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Ice wrote:
You're certainly entitled to the belief that emotion and personal motivation have nothing to do with athletic performance.

I'm not necessarily saying that, Ice...I think it's more about not being convinced that Ben has that edge he had when winning two Super Bowls. I'll blame The Douchebag Art II for that...not standing by Ben after the Georgia bullshit, hanging him out to dry on Draft Eve.

And then...Ben got married, had kids...I think he was more a winner when he was more a jagoff.

I would put more stock into the fact that the Steelers defenses were much more opportunistic and plain better overall then any reason that you listed above. I don’t buy the kids argument or Art not coming to his defense. Basically all I ever hear from Ben is that he just wants to win.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:15 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Ice wrote:
You're certainly entitled to the belief that emotion and personal motivation have nothing to do with athletic performance.

I'm not necessarily saying that, Ice...I think it's more about not being convinced that Ben has that edge he had when winning two Super Bowls. I'll blame The Douchebag Art II for that...not standing by Ben after the Georgia bullshit, hanging him out to dry on Draft Eve.

And then...Ben got married, had kids...I think he was more a winner when he was more a jagoff.

I would put more stock into the fact that the Steelers defenses were much more opportunistic and plain better overall then any reason that you listed above. I don’t buy the kids argument or Art not coming to his defense. Basically all I ever hear from Ben is that he just wants to win.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:53 pm 

Incoming rant...

It's almost like Ben and the gang used to win more games back when, I don't know, we consistently had the #1 defense in the entire NFL. I guess that was important or something. You know, back we'd have playoff games where we held Peyton Manning and an amazing Colts offense to 18 points on their own field, and then won a SB where our QB completed 9 passes and we held our opponent to 10 points. Pretty wild stuff.

Or in the '08-'09 playoffs starting with the Chargers game where we had Holmes have a huge punt return for a TD, the defense grabbed an INT deep in our territory, and we picked up a Chargers fumble on a punt to set up our offense on a 23 yard scoring drive. Then the AFC title game against the Ravens where our D forced 3 INTs, including a pick six from Polamalu, we held the Ravens to 14 points in a game where we scored 3 whole points in the second half. Then, you know, that whole SB thing where James Harrison had the greatest pick six in NFL history, that was likely a 14 point swing, in a game our offense scored 20 points.

Or in the '10-'11 playoffs, first against the Ravens where Roethlisberger fumbled with Suggs returning for a TD to get down 14-7. Then Mendenhall fumbles at our own 16 yard line to set the Ravens up for another TD to be down 21-7 at halftime. Then our D goes out in the third quarter and forces back-to-back-to-back turnovers, all three deep in Ravens territory, helping us completely swing the game around and take the lead. Held the Ravens to just 126 total yards. Then the AFC title game where the offense scores 17 points, the defense adds a huge 7 additional points with a sack and fumble recovery TD by William Gay late in the first half, we don't score a single point in the entire second half, including one really ugly INT throw on a pass intended for Sanders as we're driving in the third, get a big 4th down stop by the D which was essentially another turnover, and the offense sealed it at the end.

It's....ahhh...almost...like...it's.........a.............team game or some shits.

In our last three playoff wins, our defense has forced NINE fucking turnovers. Guess how many turnovers we've forced our last three playoff losses. ZERO.

Do you know how many turnovers our offense has made in our 11 playoff games going back to the start of the '10-11 playoffs, a decade where our playoff success has been spotty at best? TWENTY ONE. Not 10, not 11, not 15, not 20, twenty fucking one. It's.....almost like turnovers matter, especially in lose and go home playoff games.

The last few years, Ben Roethlisberger has been twice the QB he was back in '05 and '08. Put the Big Ben we've got to watch the last few years on some of those early teams and they are that much better and more dominant. He can still be clutch as hell. We're driving to beat the Saints last year and Juju fumbles. We pull that rabbit out of a hat against the Raiders and have a 40 yard field goal to send it to OT and Boswell fucks us. The Jags game last year? My god, how clutch was that shit? And you know why it happened? Why we even had a chance for Ben and the gang to be clutch? Because the D manned the fuck up and forced 4 straight three and outs in the fourth quarter. Because of that wild ass thing it about it being a team game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:04 pm 

TB wrote:
Incoming rant...

It's almost like Ben and the gang used to win more games back when, I don't know, we consistently had the #1 defense in the entire NFL. I guess that was important or something. You know, back we'd have playoff games where we held Peyton Manning and an amazing Colts offense to 18 points on their own field, and then won a SB where our QB completed 9 passes and we held our opponent to 10 points. Pretty wild stuff.

Or in the '08-'09 playoffs starting with the Chargers game where we had Holmes have a huge punt return for a TD, the defense grabbed an INT deep in our territory, and we picked up a Chargers fumble on a punt to set up our offense on a 23 yard scoring drive. Then the AFC title game against the Ravens where our D forced 3 INTs, including a pick six from Polamalu, we held the Ravens to 14 points in a game where we scored 3 whole points in the second half. Then, you know, that whole SB thing where James Harrison had the greatest pick six in NFL history, that was likely a 14 point swing, in a game our offense scored 20 points.

Or in the '10-'11 playoffs, first against the Ravens where Roethlisberger fumbled with Suggs returning for a TD to get down 14-7. Then Mendenhall fumbles at our own 16 yard line to set the Ravens up for another TD to be down 21-7 at halftime. Then our D goes out in the third quarter and forces back-to-back-to-back turnovers, all three deep in Ravens territory, helping us completely swing the game around and take the lead. Held the Ravens to just 126 total yards. Then the AFC title game where the offense scores 17 points, the defense adds a huge 7 additional points with a sack and fumble recovery TD by William Gay late in the first half, we don't score a single point in the entire second half, including one really ugly INT throw on a pass intended for Sanders as we're driving in the third, get a big 4th down stop by the D which was essentially another turnover, and the offense sealed it at the end.

It's....ahhh...almost...like...it's.........a.............team game or some shits.

In our last three playoff wins, our defense has forced NINE fucking turnovers. Guess how many turnovers we've forced our last three playoff losses. ZERO.

Do you know how many turnovers our offense has made in our 11 playoff games going back to the start of the '10-11 playoffs, a decade where our playoff success has been spotty at best? TWENTY ONE. Not 10, not 11, not 15, not 20, twenty fucking one. It's.....almost like turnovers matter, especially in lose and go home playoff games.

The last few years, Ben Roethlisberger has been twice the QB he was back in '05 and '08. Put the Big Ben we've got to watch the last few years on some of those early teams and they are that much better and more dominant. He can still be clutch as hell. We're driving to beat the Saints last year and Juju fumbles. We pull that rabbit out of a hat against the Raiders and have a 40 yard field goal to send it to OT and Boswell fucks us. The Jags game last year? My god, how clutch was that shit? And you know why it happened? Why we even had a chance for Ben and the gang to be clutch? Because the D manned the fuck up and forced 4 straight three and outs in the fourth quarter. Because of that wild ass thing it about it being a team game.

Great rant!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 pm 

TB wrote:
Incoming rant...

Totally agree. We've been sucking the past several years (relatively speaking) because the defense has sucked. With as good as I think the offense can be this year, if we have a strong defense, we can take a real shot at winning it all. Yes, even with Tomlin as HC.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:36 am 

DP39 wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing what Moncrief can do once he gets in sync with Ben. I've watched a lot of his career and he's a better WR than many think; he's just been saddled with a revolving door of really bad QB's and a bunch of different OC's and systems.

After OTAs, It was very telling to hear him say that he's never had/seen a QB make all the throws that Ben regularly makes. He's big, physical, fast, pretty smart (systems wise) and his hands are better (still not great) than his career has shown, imo. I think we got him at the perfect time in his career and wouldn't be surprised to see him play very well for us for the next few years.

From the tiny bit of video from minicamp, it's striking how good Moncrief's route-running is for a big guy, and he seems like a hard practice worker, which is great.

And I just can't shake the feeling this is going to be a really special year for Ben and this team.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:38 am 

Ice wrote:
I can see where, based on record and results, you could say that.

I'd add that, while maybe "chip on the shoulder" may not be an exact read, from all the reports and interviews available so far, there is a perceivable difference between Ben so far this season and Ben in the recent past. Worth taking note of, at least, as we see how things develop.

Ben is like a guy who was trapped in a dysfunctional relationship with a hot but batshit partner, then escapes somehow. He's just happy to be alive and not having to tiptoe around the land mines.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:35 am 

I like hearing the apparent good news coming out of OTAs.

They are reasons for hope.

The reasons to not hope?

*They're playing in shorts...means nothing (yet)
*Defense still is a huge question mark
*Mike Tomlin is still the head coach

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:05 am 

TB wrote:
Incoming rant...

100% truth. When you don't have an elite, Brady type QB, he's most likely going to throw it to the other team a few times as James Harrison noted. You have absolutely got to be adequate in all areas to be competitive in the post season. It also helps if you're not led by the coaching equivalent of Corky from life goes on.

TD:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:46 pm 

TB wrote:
Incoming rant...

Most of what I have been hearing out of ota's and mini camp so far from the D is they are stressing getting turnovers, getting eyes on the ball and then hands on the ball. So maybe if we practice take aways we will actually be able to do it this year. Short fields for the O is a huge deal and we have not done it much recently.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:56 pm 

Everything we need to know at this point...

Quote:
*They’re playing in shorts...

Quote:
*Mike Tomlin is still the head coach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:11 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
DP39 wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing what Moncrief can do once he gets in sync with Ben. I've watched a lot of his career and he's a better WR than many think; he's just been saddled with a revolving door of really bad QB's and a bunch of different OC's and systems.

After OTAs, It was very telling to hear him say that he's never had/seen a QB make all the throws that Ben regularly makes. He's big, physical, fast, pretty smart (systems wise) and his hands are better (still not great) than his career has shown, imo. I think we got him at the perfect time in his career and wouldn't be surprised to see him play very well for us for the next few years.

From the tiny bit of video from minicamp, it's striking how good Moncrief's route-running is for a big guy, and he seems like a hard practice worker, which is great.

And I just can't shake the feeling this is going to be a really special year for Ben and this team.

There is much to be said about getting a guy at the right time in his career, in any sport.

I can envision having both a top 10 Pts/Dr offense and top 10 Pts/Dr defense this season.

The defense was 15th last year in Pts/Dr but a dismal 30th in TOs/Dr. With the injection of speed at ILB, I could see the defense coming alive this season making a big jump in TOs/Dr.

I can envision plenty of weapons for Ben to spread the football around to behind a still strong OL.

The team more unified than they have been in years and with all the youth they can gain momentum as the season progresses.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:18 pm 

Havoc wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
DP39 wrote:

There is much to be said about getting a guy at the right time in his career, in any sport.

I can envision having both a top 10 Pts/Dr offense and top 10 Pts/Dr defense this season.

The defense was 15th last year in Pts/Dr but a dismal 30th in TOs/Dr. With the injection of speed at ILB, I could see the defense coming alive this season making a big jump in TOs/Dr.

I can envision plenty of weapons for Ben to spread the football around to behind a still strong OL.

The team more unified than they have been in years and with all the youth they can gain momentum as the season progresses.

Bingo it’s gonna happen.

Coaching brought in has certainly made TO’s a point of emphasis.

Gonna be a great season!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:49 pm 

ZED!!! Wut up BAYBAY???

TD:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:47 am 

TB wrote:
Incoming rant...

Great stuff. With modern QB protection rules...the QBs shelf life and productivity for Big Ben continues to be pointing up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:18 pm 

stillthere wrote:
TB wrote:
Incoming rant...

Most of what I have been hearing out of ota's and mini camp so far from the D is they are stressing getting turnovers, getting eyes on the ball and then hands on the ball. So maybe if we practice take aways we will actually be able to do it this year. Short fields for the O is a huge deal and we have not done it much recently.

Yeah, but short fields means more points on FEWER YARDS! May be good for the win-loss ratio, but what about FANTASY FOOTBALL? Ya gotta feet that beast too, right? Oh, wait. AB is gone. Sorry. Nevermind.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:49 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
This is cherry-picking BS at its finest.

In 2007 (he was hurt in 2008), Brady had a record year with 50 TD's and 8 picks.....with 23 TD's to Moss.

In 2011 - not the next year but 2 years after Moss left - Brady had 39 TD's and 12 picks.

There is no doubt the offense will keep on clicking without AB. Ben throwing less picks is probably a sucker bet.

Exactly, Brady went 18-1 the first year with Moss, of course losing the biggest game though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:40 pm 

You do not win it all unless you win the Super Bowl. Giants wanted it more though that time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:56 pm 

We have a chance to win games as long as we have a healthy #7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:19 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:

Yeah, so long as the healthy #7 isn't throwing picks like he's throwing cumshots outta the grey down in Georgia.

TD:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:19 am 

Lynch wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

Yeah, so long as the healthy #7 isn't throwing picks like he's throwing cumshots outta the grey down in Georgia.

You are one strange fucking dude, man.

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:38 pm 

Right now, I like Moncrief over Washington at #2 WR. Moncrief has more speed, better routes, more experience. Right now I have Washington as first backup.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:10 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
Right now, I like Moncrief over Washington at #2 WR. Moncrief has more speed, better routes, more experience. Right now I have Washington as first backup.

I'm hoping for some strong 4-wide schemes....but that would seem to be rare, barring injury, given that means taking either MacDonald or Conner/Samuels off the field.

Still, looking at those 4 receivers - heck even throw a Rogers or Switzer in there as #5 - and I'd think you really like the match-up you get on your 3/4/5 receivers.

We lost AB, but I think we are still very deep at WR. That's why, from a production standpoint, we aren't going to miss AB. We may miss him in critical situations, but that will be very hard to gauge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 283 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next