It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Heading into the Season
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:56 am 

Great thread. Good stuff gentlemen.

I'm summoning my inner January 29, 1991 Bill Belichick.

I don't want to be too good at stopping the run.

Throwing the football wins in the post season.

I want a wreaking havoc take the football away pass defense that teams fear. I want a defense that scores TDs.

I want to bait teams into running the football. Let them have their Leveon Bell drives that end in field goals while our offense puts on a TD air show.

Last edited by Havoc on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:11 pm 

Ice wrote:
The autocorrect from segue to segway was a subtly disturbing one in that context, Van.

It's possible Barron's a bridge, but they're apparently running out packages with everybody everywhere, at least for the time being. Looks like they've been having some fun working on things already this offseason

I honestly can't blame auto-correct on that one. Plain old post work dumb fuckery, ;).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:07 pm 

I believe this has been the case for a few years now ... what to do about the defense.
I think as much as the question is personnel it is also how they choose to address strategy wise how to account for an undependable d and lack of TOs,

Do they try to protect the d with TOP football ... bend but don’t break and ball control or are they aggressive.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:27 pm 

Havoc wrote:
Great thread. Good stuff gentlemen.

I'm summoning my inner January 29, 1991 Bill Belichick.

I don't want to be too good at stopping the run.

Throwing the football wins in the post season.

I want a wreaking havoc take the football away pass defense that teams fear. I want a defense that scores TDs.

I want to bait teams into running the football. Let them have their Leveon Bell drives that end in field goals while our offense puts on a TD air show.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:58 pm 

Gonzo wrote:
I believe this has been the case for a few years now ... what to do about the defense.
I think as much as the question is personnel it is also how they choose to address strategy wise how to account for an undependable d and lack of TOs,

Do they try to protect the d with TOP football ... bend but don’t break and ball control or are they aggressive.

I know where I’d put my money...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:17 pm 

Ice wrote:
stillthere wrote:
smithessmokin wrote:
I'm not sure there is anyone left on the market I'd even consider, the pickings are super slim.

I know we can restructure a contract or 3 but as of right now the team is like 980,000 dollars under the cap. So the pickings are even slimmer.

I think it's pretty impressive the roster that's been assembled with literally 20+ million of dead money tied behind our back.

Not saying that I don't like the roster. All I was pointing out is that we are less than a million under the cap currently so signing anyone is nearly impossible.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:59 pm 

Gonzo wrote:

Tomlin coaches as if he had the best D in the league and expects it to win the game for him regardless of how strong or weak it may be.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:17 am 

Good discussion gentleman.

1. I'm on the side of those that believe we don't have a true 4-3, or at least the capability of playing it. Tuitt and Heyward don't have the speed and quickness to be edge rushers. That's not the body type to get that job done.

2. I, too, think Hargrave should be rotated IN PLACE of Heyward or Tuitt on the interior pass rush on 3rd downs.

3. I'm not that concerned about run defense. Yes, some teams pounded us last year but if we tighten up in the red zone and limit to FGs that is fine.

The real problem on D has been 3rd down passing defense...especially later in the game. Why? I think there are 2 reasons.

a. Pass rush: I know people think we have a good pass rush, but we are NOT good at getting pressure with 4. Dupree is a real liability there as his ineptitude causes more doubles on the other 3. Even when they rush 5, Dupree only draws one tackle and is stuffed most of the time. This is a player problem...not a scheme problem. However, it leads Butler to rely too much on his telegraphed blitzes that get easily picked up and we are gashed.

b. ILB/Safety coverage: It's not mystery the middle to deep-middle of our D has been sliced and diced. ILBs can't keep up with WR, TEs, and RBs and safeties have been too deep and slow to react.

I think we have fixed b. with the addition of Bush, Barron, and hopefully the maturity of Edmunds/Davis. It's actually the 4 and 5 man rush I'm more concerned about. That is why I'm praying Ola takes a big step. If we can waive him and Hargrave in more, I think that really helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:09 pm 

FC wrote:
2.The Steelers maybe small on the defensive side of the ball...They could be greased lightening fast

I wonder how much affect the addition of speed at ILB will have on the rest of the defense.

I won't be surprised to see the defense come alive this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:17 am 

Havoc wrote:
FC wrote:
2.The Steelers maybe small on the defensive side of the ball...They could be greased lightening fast

I wonder how much affect the addition of speed at ILB will have on the rest of the defense.

I won't be surprised to see the defense come alive this season.

The lack of speed was telling last season. Anytime VW had to cover anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:12 am 

Quote:
James Conner expects the Steelers to "spread out" backfield touches "pretty evenly."

Conner was used as a workhorse when healthy last season, but the emergence of Jaylen Samuels while Conner was injured could lead to more of a timeshare moving forward. Pittsburgh could also look to use the two backs in tandem, which they reportedly experimented with during the offseason program. Conner is still the favorite for carries, but he will likely lose at least some passing-down snaps to Samuel

Remove the S from the https when you "paste" the link in for a youtube video.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:42 am 

FC wrote:
Quote:
James Conner expects the Steelers to "spread out" backfield touches "pretty evenly."

Conner was used as a workhorse when healthy last season, but the emergence of Jaylen Samuels while Conner was injured could lead to more of a timeshare moving forward. Pittsburgh could also look to use the two backs in tandem, which they reportedly experimented with during the offseason program. Conner is still the favorite for carries, but he will likely lose at least some passing-down snaps to Samuel

I hope this is true...I’ll believe it when I see it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:57 pm 

FC wrote:
Quote:

They say this every freaking year

Yet every freakin year Tomlin breaks the starting RB- you can set your clock to it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:57 pm 

No way the Steelers will split touches evenly.

Conner will be the Bell Cow.

Samuels will see plenty of action spelling Conner and, I believe, Samuels will see some time with Conner on the field as a receiving option.

Where he'll line up I don't know, but they'll get him on the field.

How much time Snell sees will be determined. I'm sure the Steelers would love him to shine as a goal line back/short yardage option to start.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:05 pm 

Tomlin plans to run Conner's wheels off before week 8. Snell will close out the season. Samuels will ride the pine until Conner goes on IR.

Edit:

Switzer will be a Dante hall type X-factor.

TD:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:40 pm 

Sharing the load would certainly signal that a learning curve exists. A mildly slow learning curve, but maybe one speeded up by not having to pad a certain RB's fantasy stats anymore.

Also, Bush getting interviewed and asked about being able to run at the speed of mucus was pretty funny.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:36 pm 

Lynch wrote:
Tomlin plans to run Conner's wheels off before week 8. Snell will close out the season. Samuels will ride the pine until Conner goes on IR.

Edit:

Except Dante Hall was fast. Otherwise, you're right. Switz is JUST LIKE Dante Hall.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:54 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
Lynch wrote:

Edit:

Except Dante Hall was fast. Otherwise, you're right. Switz is JUST LIKE Dante Hall.

Mein Himmler... The Switzinator may not have blazing long speed, but he does have elite short area quickness.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performe ... osition=WR

TD:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:54 pm 

Switzer is in great danger of being cut.

He better show a whole lot....and fast.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:31 pm 

I cut Rogers before I cut Switzer, JMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:10 am 

Ice wrote:
Sharing the load would certainly signal that a learning curve exists. A mildly slow learning curve, but maybe one speeded up by not having to pad a certain RB's fantasy stats anymore.

Also, Bush getting interviewed and asked about being able to run at the speed of mucus was pretty funny.

2007 - FWP blows a knee

2019- Tomlin finally goes to a committee

Only took him 12 years.
Hey maybe by the time there are flying cars he'll learn how to manage the clock

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:19 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:

If Switzer looks like he did most of last year again, you'd have to be related to him to believe he's better than Rogers.

....and Rogers isn't exactly a necessity....but he's definitely a better receiver than Swtizer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:39 am 

KC wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

If Switzer looks like he did most of last year again, you'd have to be related to him to believe he's better than Rogers.

....and Rogers isn't exactly a necessity....but he's definitely a better receiver than Swtizer.

Rogers at his peak was better than what Switz showed last year. Rogers hasn't been at his peak in two years. The amount of praised heaped on Rogers is wholly unrelated to his performance. Switz showed a good knack for converting 3rd downs last year. He did it better than Rogers has in a couple of years.

Switz is not a player you build around, but he is nice depth who can contribute.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:59 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Ice wrote:

2007 - FWP blows a knee

2019- Tomlin finally goes to a committee

Only took him 12 years.
Hey maybe by the time there are flying cars he'll learn how to manage the clock

And people say he never learns!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:02 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
KC wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

Rogers at his peak was better than what Switz showed last year. Rogers hasn't been at his peak in two years. The amount of praised heaped on Rogers is wholly unrelated to his performance. Switz showed a good knack for converting 3rd downs last year. He did it better than Rogers has in a couple of years.

Switz is not a player you build around, but he is nice depth who can contribute.

Also, Switz is a much better return man

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next