It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Heading into the Season
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:30 pm 

Please keep this thread to football and the upcoming season.

Everyone at this board knows certain posters just scurry around taking shits on threads please don't do that to this one.

What I am thinking.

I have far more confidence in the offense than I should.

I really like the running backs...I think the stable is deep as ever. I think Conner Samuels and Snell all have starter traits.

I like the offensive line and I don't believe Munchak will be a huge loss...I wont be shocked if the Steelers miss Munchaks ability to advance scout and formulate a run game in concert with Fitch...Shaun Sarrett has handled most on field coaching the past two seasons and he has worked exclusively with the offensive tackles the past 3 seasons...He has earned his shot.

Tight end is a concern...Vance Macdonald has injury issues. I have little to no faith in Grimble despite his under rated talent. Gentry has some awful film in the run game...Gentry has playmaking to his game...I believe he can and will improve as a blocker. If Macdonald stays healthy I wont be shocked if Gentry shows enough improvement in the run game that the position could become average or at least decent.

The Steelers will miss AB. They still have talent. JuJu is a stud. That leaves the wildcards of Moncrief Washington and Johnson. Those three dont send shivers down defensive coordinators spines I concede that...I wont be shocked if the receiving core is very good the entire season

Ben is a franchise quarterback if he plays shitty or gets hurt the team is fucked.

I am far more concerned about the defense.

I fear the Steelers ability to stop the run.

I fear any defensive package where the Steelers have only 2 bigs on the field(Bigs meaning players over 265 pounds)

I hate the Steelers defensive line depth...After you grt past the starters you have a bunch of bums...The wave players really need to show improvement

I am not concerned with linebacker or corner...I have no clue what the Steelers are going to do at safety. I know Edmunds played the most snaps of any Steelers defender last season.

I am also concerned about the kicking units...I expect the coverage and return game units are improved

So my 3 biggest concerns are

1.Defensive line depth/ability to stop the run
2.Defensive scheme with 9 smalls on the field almost 79% of snaps last season
3.Safety play

3 Things being overlooked

1.The new hires(Hires over past 2 seasons) have vast coaching experience and are known as teachers and communicators
2.The Steelers maybe small on the defensive side of the ball...They could be greased lightening fast
3.When the team is overlooked or left for dead they have the best results

Remove the S from the https when you "paste" the link in for a youtube video.

Post subject: Re: Heading into the Season
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:43 pm 

The news that Davis' injury isn't serious and he's going to be good for training camp was as good as injury news gets. Agree he and Edmunds need the reps. The staff seems to think they have their starting safety position talent in place. A jump from Edmunds and improvement from Davis would be a huge plus.

Big improvements from Washington in year two and Moncrief now that he's no longer Bortled wouldn't surprise me at all. Give Johnson the Bryant "get him in space" routes to ease him into the lineup, hopefully that's a solid bunch.

More than most, Tomlin and company shine their brightest as underdogs. Player motivation is a major strength of his, and this offseason has played into it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm 

You think the team thinks there's vet moves yet to be made on the Dline, or are they feeling set there?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:45 pm 

I'm not sure there is anyone left on the market I'd even consider, the pickings are super slim.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 pm 

FC wrote:

Agree. Contrary to the opinions of some (ahem), the loss of AB is not what's going to make or break the season. The performance of the defense will.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:16 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
FC wrote:

Agree. Contrary to the opinions of some (ahem), the loss of AB is not what's going to make or break the season. The performance of the defense will.

I posted this before I read a single post made over the past 48 hours.

Onto defensive linemen...The Steelers are up against the cap. So pipe dreaming and expecting the Steelers will roll with what they got

Corey Liuget
Allen Bailey
Stacy McGee
Muhammad Wilkerson
William Hayes
Bennie Logan
Earl Mitchell

In house players really need to step up

I have a weird feeling Conor Sheery may surprise
I hope Buggs is a stud...I was not a fan at Bama he has a ton of potential

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:41 am 

100% agreed

RB position looks awesome right now -- best in many years.

biggest fear is this defense -- the result of many years of underwhelming draft picks

would be great if Buggs is solid, but like you, i'm highly doubtful

i hope the FO was correct to not bolster the safety position

I love the additions of Barron, Bush and Nelson. We got a lot better on that side of the ball in the offseason, but still major ??? remain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:50 am 

The offense may be poised to make another leap forward even with Brown gone. It may sound counter intuitive but last season much was predicted about how the offense was doomed without Bell. And yet, the RBs that were replacing Bell managed 16 TDs, 5 more than Bell ever did in a season. Why is it crazy to think that the young WRs on the roster can't do much the same in replacing Brown??

Look, Ben was 104 of 168 for 1,297 yards, 15 TDs and 10 INTs for a passer rating of 90 throwing to Antonio Brown. He only completed 61.9% of his passes to Brown.

It does not take Ben years to get comfortable with young WRs. Look at JuJu, or Mike Wallace, or Bryant, hell, look at what Ben was doing with James Washington at the end of the season.

In those two games at the end of the season, against NE and Cincy, Ben was 6 of 7 for 129 yards throwing to Washington. That is over 20 yards a reception.

With JuJu, Washington, Moncrief and Johnson, Ben has a really under rated WR group, with nuances between each. Want a big bodied WR with deep speed? Donte Moncrief has 3 TD passes over 60+ yards the past two season with QBs named Blake Bortles and Jacoby Brisset throwing the ball to him. Imagine what Ben is going to do with him?? Want an Antonio Brown/Manny Sanders/Santonio Holmes type of WR? Johnson fits the bill.

I am not as worried about the TEs because I think the Steelers are going to really innovate their use of Jaylin Samuels. Less 2 TEs with say a Jesse James traditional #2 and more of Samuels in a different #2, more of a move TE, H-back, James White NE type of pass catcher.

Mike Munchak may be missed for his input in game planning on offense but I think that the hiring of Eddie Faulkner was a sneaky move in giving Randy Fitchner an understudy, a protege, who can help bring fresh ideas and perspective to the offense.

I think Ben and Randy may miss Brown, but I also think they are excited for what they can do with these young players. I don't worry about the offense at all.

I spoke of Faulkner's impact on offense, well I think Teryl Austin can do much the same for Tomlin on defense. This man has an impressive resume for coaching defensive backs at every stop in his career. There are many of his players that have made Pro Bowls and became ballhawks, with 5,6, 7, 8 INTs in a season. He was a defensive coordinator in Detroit for 4 seasons and one with Cincy. Yes, Cincy was a shitstorm but the injuries and circus really did him in. Burfect was his usual self, they lost promising DE Carl Lawson to injury pretty early on, so I give him a pass.

If Tomlin really wants to take control of defense, wants to move away from LeBeau's 3-4, implement more 4 man fronts, do more hybrid schemes, etc, then hiring a long time 4-3 coach in Austin was a great move. Notice that Austin is not merely just a Secondary position coach but also a Senior Defensive Assistant. Some may dismiss this but I don't, I think Tomlin is intent on leaning on Austin heavily to fix this defense. It would not surprise me to see Austin actually made the DC in a year's time or two.

I like that the Steelers are drafting more players that you would normally see in 4-3 defenses. Sutton Smith, hell, even Justin Layne, he looks like the Darius Slay, DRC (Dominque Cromartie Rodgers) type of CB. Tall, press corners that Teryl Austin coached and developed in Detroit and Arizona. There does seem to be a method to the madness, I like what I am seeing. I have been urging the team to move to a 4-3, pleading with them to draft 4-3 prospects, wanting them to bring in coaches that have more 4-3 experience, and that is happening. Karl Dunbar? He checks that box. Austin? Yes, he checks that too.

One thing that I loved this offseason is that the Steelers really seemed to make it a point of emphasis to draft/acquire football players that love to tackle, take pride in it and are physical to boot. Steven Nelson is a physical CB who will pretty quickly show how soft a CB Artie Burns is. Mark Barron will hit you and bring you down. Sutton Smith is all hustle and never gives up. The arm tackles, the ankle tackles, the half hearted attempts at tackling will be greatly reduced this season.

FC, you are worried about the play against the run, I might agree if those players were still out on the field with their lame tackling, their bad form, their lackluster commitment to get involved in the action. I see those player riding the bench this year or even outright cut, the team went out and got nastier players to get dirty, to make those tackles this season.

For me the defense will be better this year because physicality and communication can get you pretty far in the NFL. Both of those ingredients were missing last season in critical moments and stretches of games.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:50 am 

It is a very rare WR that can make an impact as a rookie before 1/2 a season. Johnson may be good but I am not expecting anything this season so I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

I expect the Steelers to sign a TE that is cut from the another camp.

I do not think the Steelers will move away from a 3-4 although I would hope they move to more of a hybrid defense a'la NE and Baltimore. But Saint Noll put the 3-4 in and I do not think the owners would allow the Steelers to move away from it.

I think Bush as the same growing pains that Shazier had his first year. They will want Bush attacking and he has not shown that ability but we may be surprised.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:22 am 

I'm optimistic on both fronts. If Mac stays healthy, I think were good to go, so long as one of the three WR wildcards you mentioned shows up to play. Real contributions from Switzer should not surprise anyone either. I don't think we'll miss Brown.

I think the defense is gonna be 100X better than last year. Bush and Barron were sorely needed. I don't think teams will be able to run on us at will.

TD:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:29 am 

jebrick wrote:
It is a very rare WR that can make an impact as a rookie before 1/2 a season. Johnson may be good but I am not expecting anything this season so I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

I expect the Steelers to sign a TE that is cut from the another camp.

I do not think the Steelers will move away from a 3-4 although I would hope they move to more of a hybrid defense a'la NE and Baltimore. But Saint Noll put the 3-4 in and I do not think the owners would allow the Steelers to move away from it.

I think Bush as the same growing pains that Shazier had his first year. They will want Bush attacking and he has not shown that ability but we may be surprised.

They're already playing 70% of their snaps in 4-3 looks. Even when they had base personnel in, they often aligned in a 4-3 look.

I'm with FC, in that my #1 concern is: will this defense be able to stop the run? We're going to find out right away, because the front end of the schedule is full of teams that are going to run, run, run... especially if you show vulnerability. IF the Steelers D is based on speed (that's what it looks like), then the proper counter to that is size + power. You run AT the Hargrave, Bush, and Barrons of the world, not away from them.

I think the offense won't miss a beat-- Ben throwing to AB last year was below average Ben career stats. To me that means history suggests the replacement with several players will lead to more efficient offense, as long as Ben doesn't simply start forcing it to JuJu.

I have many reservations about Sean Davis, but I believe in his character and I do think he was learning on the job and thinking too much last year. Playing very conservatively and a step slower than he is physically last year. He says he's going to take a jump forward this year. If he does, this D could be pretty damn good in the pass game and the run-and-chase game. Gotta stop the run for any of that to matter, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:33 am 

Bush was able to make the plays he did at scUM with a pretty dominant defensive line in front of him.

Can Hargrave move back towards what he was before last year? God, that NT chart is depressing.

I know not much at all about Buggs, other than that he was likely schemed as well as he could be to succeed and surrounded with talented teammates at Bama. I don't watch every game for them, but he never really stood out to me.

End looks a little more promising, but two injuries or two players playing through them (looking at you, Tuitt) and it's as bad as NT.

I remember being pleasantly surprised with Liguet coming in, thinking he was going to be a stud after his rookie and second years, then haven't heard much lately. Might be a nice add, though he's likely the most expensive name on that list (Wilkerson?).

Leveon Bell cap savings and some draft capital next offseason may be the solution here.

I do see the reason for optimism with the under the radar coaching makeover.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:49 am 

I think Hargrave was really good last year-- just wasn't on the field enough, whether because of conditioning or usage.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:55 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I think Hargrave was really good last year-- just wasn't on the field enough, whether because of conditioning or usage.

I didn't remember as many impact plays as previously, but, like you said, there could be a variety of reasons for that, far from least of which my own ignorance. It gives hope, though.

Wherever you heard the positive info on Davis, that's a ray, too. Luckily the ding was minor. he needs the reps.

That DL group and the safeties are going to be likely the most telling watches in camp this season. A couple of unheard of DL surprises (or even one) could be huge. It's where I'm rooting for the semiannual surprise roster push.

EDIT: Just took a look at Sheehy. When I saw Sheery a few posts above, I'll admit my first thought was "It's Share-y," and my 2nd was how's that little guy who's always falling down gonna play 34 end?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:15 am 

By hybrid defense I mean playing 2 DTs as 2 gap and 2 players as 1 gap. Even playing 4 man fronts with just one NT is just like playing a 3-4. You have to use your speed by keeping the speed players free. So the Hybrid front clogs up the middle with big bodies. I do not see the Steelers doing that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:18 am 

Here we go :D

Quote:
I like that the Steelers are drafting more players that you would normally see in 4-3 defenses.

Quote:
They're already playing 70% of their snaps in 4-3 looks. Even when they had base personnel in, they often aligned in a 4-3 look.

The media and talking heads keep pushing this and I will not have it.

The Steelers were in nickel/dime /exotic defense over 70% of the time.

Watt and Dupree are outside linebackers not defensive ends

Cam Heyward is actually a defensive end and not a defensive tackle. When he was asked to bump down and play under tackle the Steelers allowed almost 6.5 yards YPC when he was run at.

So from my point of view

Any time the Steelers do not have a NT in the game they are playing an exotic defense which is fine...They're not playing a 43

I know this seems nit picky its really not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:47 am 

Can't really disagree with any of this.

I would add that while the second WR doesn't scare anyone right now, it is certainly possible that either Washington or Johnson step up and prove to be capable.

I'd also say that Crief has a nice skillset to compliment a true No 1: blazing speed.

I think the Steelers get enough out of that trio of WRs + Samuels in the passing game to still be dangerous passing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:22 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
Can't really disagree with any of this.

I would add that while the second WR doesn't scare anyone right now, it is certainly possible that either Washington or Johnson step up and prove to be capable.

I'd also say that Crief has a nice skillset to compliment a true No 1: blazing speed.

I think the Steelers get enough out of that trio of WRs + Samuels in the passing game to still be dangerous passing.

Not sure if we've had a 2nd WR who has scared anyone since the days of Swann and Stallworth. Juju I suppose, and maybe 10-cent head Bryant.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert

"I work in a bank." - Demetreus Gore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:25 am 

No forgetting Vanimal, either, provided he stays healthy.

Also interested to see what we got with our value-buy on Gentry. He could be Jesse James-ish, just based on size/talent. Never really had a decent thrower of the football to work with at scUM unless you want to count a few games with Patterson, so he could possibly be a better pro than his college stats show as a receiver.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:46 pm 

Good stuff, fellas.

The defense, imo, had problems going into last year, so although I'm optimistic, I still see problems at safety, CB, and stopping the run. Bush will be an upgrade. I have faith in Smith. CB's are a big question mark for me as is D line depth.

The offense clicked last year when not making boneheaded mistakes. And yes, I believe the current WR group is plenty to counter the loss of AB. I think Moncrief will surprise, imo, with a HOF QB. He'll get lots of attention. I'm also confident in the RB's as long as they rotate adequately both in conditioning and situationally. TE is an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:18 pm 

I think Boswell comes back big time. Penthouse to the Doghouse back to the Penthouse type thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:36 pm 

FC wrote:
Here we go :D

Quote:
I like that the Steelers are drafting more players that you would normally see in 4-3 defenses.

Quote:

The media and talking heads keep pushing this and I will not have it.

The Steelers were in nickel/dime /exotic defense over 70% of the time.

Watt and Dupree are outside linebackers not defensive ends

Cam Heyward is actually a defensive end and not a defensive tackle. When he was asked to bump down and play under tackle the Steelers allowed almost 6.5 yards YPC when he was run at.

So from my point of view

Any time the Steelers do not have a NT in the game they are playing an exotic defense which is fine...They're not playing a 43

I know this seems nit picky its really not.

They TRY to play 4-3. Just because their personnel on the DL doesn't fit it at all, doesn't mean they don't try to play it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:08 pm 

JackLambert58 wrote:
10-cent head Bryant.

Looking at Diontae Johnson at Toledo, he doesn't have the raw speed or freakish athleticism Bryant had, but he's great in the open field. Really great. Love to see the Martavis Bryant playbook reinstalled (maybe not all the deep bombs) with the aim to get him a few yards each way to work with, as a way of getting him acclimated and productive early, along with giving the O another wrinkle for DC's to prep for.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:32 pm 

The offense has always found a way to make it work . Hell they found a way to make it work all the way to the AFCCG in 2016 when after Bell and Brown, all they had were scrubs like Coates, Cobi Hamilton, and Eli Rogers. They'll figure out a way as long as Tomlin stays out of Fichtner's way by telling him to go conservative late.

Defense and STs...like it did in 2016...will tell the tale.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:52 pm 

Some very positive words from Moncrief on the vibe in the receiver room, the mix of talent and the experience so far of playing and practicing with Ben, for what it's worth (he's the new guy, obviously), in the snippet on DK's site you can read before you hit the pay wall. Calls the room supportive and positive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next