It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: OTA's day 1
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:33 pm 

video of goal line work.

https://twitter.com/SteelBlitzburgh/status/1130875484580044801

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:38 pm 

JuJu one hander

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:39 pm 

Another interception in OTA's

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:24 pm 

stillthere wrote:

Did you guys see that the league is considering outlawing some training camp contact drills, including the Oklahoma drill?

They should just eliminate practice altogether. Teams could meet three times a week for lattes and scones.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:36 pm 

stillthere wrote:
Ages of the skill kids.

JuJu Smith-Schuster: 22

WR Donte Moncrief: 25

WR James Washington: 23

WR Diontae Johnson: 22

WR Ryan Switzer: 24

WR Eli Rogers: 26

HB James Conner: 24

HB Benny Snell: 21

HB Jaylen Samuels: 22

Whoa. That’s encouraging. Hard to believe Juju is only 22. Seems like he’s been around forever.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:14 pm 

Donte Moncrief on his role with the team, working with Ben Roethlisberger and more

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:38 pm 

https://www.steelers.com/news/washington-it-was-hard

Quote:
Washington: 'It was hard'

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

James Washington walked off the field after a recently completed OTA practice and looked like a different person.

Sure, the 15 pounds he lost this offseason, dropping down to around 210 pounds, were a big part of the difference. One of Washington’s offseason goals was to drop some weight, and he did that with a combination of working on his family’s farm in Texas and with a trainer in Miami.

“I went home for the first two weeks, was putting in some hard work with my dad on the farm,” said Washington. “I was trying to cut down weight. Eat less. I went to Miami and worked in the sun. Worked on strength, strong hands, all the things receivers work on.

“I feel great. I feel lighter. I feel like I am a lot quicker off the ball. It was about 40 percent farm work and 60 percent field work. Last year at the end of the year I wrote down some goals. That was my top goal, to cut weight, to get faster. Not just for me, but for the team. That was my main goal.”

The physical weight isn’t all Washington dropped. He also looks like a different person because mentally he dropped a lot of what weighed on him his rookie year. His rookie season wasn’t an easy one, filled with mental challenges that ate away at him at times.

“It was hard. I am not going to lie,” said Washington. “There were times I would go home, think to myself ways to get better and not let the team down. I was disappointed last year. I have high expectations for myself and this team has them for me.”

Once things got into his head that was the problem. He couldn’t get them out of his head. Washington was thinking too much. Might sound like a crazy thing, but it’s something that can definitely impact a young player.

“That was it. That was the main thing,” said Washington. “I was thinking too much. Talking to Coach (Mike Tomlin), he gave me some encouragement. I talked to Ben (Roethlisberger) and that cleared up a lot of confusion with myself and my capabilities.

“I am more relaxed now when I am in the huddle with Ben. I am listening to him call the play. My mind is functioning more. It’s thinking about the entire play, the fine tuning of my route.

“Last year it wasn’t there because I was a different person. I feel like a different person. Ten times different. I feel like a veteran even though I am only in my second year. It feels a lot better.”

Before the team reported to OTAs, Roethlisberger took a group of players to his home in Georgia, to relax on a lake and just spend time bonding. Washington said that took his mental approach to even another level, giving him the opportunity to get to know his quarterback better, something he didn’t have the opportunity to do last year.

“It was a lot of fun.” Said Washington. “It was a time for us to get to know each other a little better. Last year we never really hung out so it was me looking at him, a Hall of Famer. Going there I started to look at him more as a human being like I am. I think everyone felt like I did.

“I would have approached the season differently last year. Every time I was in the huddle with him I was nervous. I didn’t want to mess up. It helped relax me a lot.”

Washington said it all started for his the last few games last season, when Roethlisberger sat him down and talked to him. And since then it’s continued to build, with Roethlisberger giving the receiver words of praise when OTAs began.

“It feels good,” said Washington. “It lets me know the hard work I put in over the spring has paid off. It feels good to hear a team captain talk about you.

“He gave me some encouraging words last season too. It helped me perform the last two games. My confidence is starting a lot higher. I cut weight. I am coming in fresher. I know the playbook. I am more confident.”

Washington is ready to make a jump on the field this year, taking that big step players do in their second season. But he isn’t going to put the pressure on himself this year like he did last year.

“I take it day to day,” said Washington. “If I can get one percent better every day it’s going to add up. I try not to put too much pressure on myself. You can’t just be over anxious. You have to approach it day by day.”

Very enjoyable read. I hope this kid blows up this year.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:14 pm 

I think the kid has the work ethic just now need to do it on the field. I think he has the makeup to succeed. I really think Moncrief will shine working with Ben

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:17 pm 

Thanks for bringing that over. Sounds like the kid just needed some experience and encouragement. Excited to see where that takes him this season.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:45 pm 

Moncrief is going to light shit up this year. 12 TDs WATCH.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:00 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

He will not out do the Cotch.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:49 pm 

Quote:
AAF alum Kameron Kelly gets 1st-team work in Steelers secondary https://triblive.com/sports/aaf-alum-ka ... secondary/
Good for this young player. I like Kelly and think he could stick on the roster. Safety is in need of depth.

Mason Rudolph

Ben, Randy and Mike

https://www.steelers.com/photos/photos- ... 84d6808c22

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:51 pm 

Speaking of shedding a few lbs... Tomlin looks a bit lighter. Lost some of that famous gut.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:18 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Speaking of shedding a few lbs... Tomlin looks a bit lighter. Lost some of that famous gut.

You, and Tomlin's wife, really and truly see him differently than the rest of the world.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:46 am 

Lynch wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

He will not out do the Cotch.

NOBODY OUTDOES THE COTCHATRON.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:13 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Considering how much he coaches from it, I hope it doesn’t totally disappear.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:54 am 

Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

You, and Tomlin's wife, really and truly see him differently than the rest of the world.

He was freaking heavy last couple of years... like on a dangerous path.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:03 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Hopefully he isn't in Jerome Bettis "best shape of his life".

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:42 pm 

Quote:
@gerrydulac
Steelers told K Chris Boswell they would delay his $2 million roster bonus, which was due in mid-March, till after the final preseason game in Carolina. If Boswell didn't agree, they would have cut him. Steelers want to see more before deciding to give him a chance at redemption https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/1 ... 8641266688
Smart...

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:51 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:

Quote:
@gerrydulac
Steelers told K Chris Boswell they would delay his $2 million roster bonus, which was due in mid-March, till after the final preseason game in Carolina. If Boswell didn't agree, they would have cut him. Steelers want to see more before deciding to give him a chance at redemption https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/1 ... 8641266688
Smart...

Smart? I don’t know. I’m still trying to figure out how and why the NFLPA let them get away with it...

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:07 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Smart? I don’t know. I’m still trying to figure out how and why the NFLPA let them get away with it...

I don't understand this, either. They WILL absolutely pay that money, but perhaps they've shaded it toward earning his spot.

Anyway you cut it....strange. My gut says this is some cap-manipulation......which is funny because Colbert is a cap-dinosaur.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:02 am 

Only thing I can think is that the hit would be spread out over 2 seasons maybe? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller????

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:13 am 

A gentlemen's agreement..., he won't get cut if he plays this out and the Steelers get a reliable kicking game back?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:25 am 

Sounds a little fishy contractually, but as a fan, I like it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next