It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tomlin & new deal
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:09 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
955876 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Oakland was CLEARLY a debacle.

And that’s why many of us keep harping on the man. He can clean up all the malcontents & locker room cancers he wants but that doesn’t really help the bottom line when it’s his very own game day actions and decisions that lead to defeat.

It's a trade-off. If he was told that Ben wasn't cleared to play unless in case of emergency, that part of it I can understand being at least confusing for a game-day situation.

But do other stuff that wins you the game if need be.

JL it's not about excuses-- he didn't make any. I'm merely pointing out some of the situation there that he's had to deal with. Call it a reality check on expectations.

Right- like when you take the lead in a game where Ben's passing can't be stopped, make sure you switch to the running game...that kind of stuff always works...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:46 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
JackLambert58 wrote:
We need to itimize all the Tomlin excuses. Good Lord! :lol:

Haha no I'm just incredulous at the amount of excuses B2B has come up for Tomlin.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert

"I work in a bank." - Demetreus Gore

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:13 am 

JackLambert58 wrote:
Haha no I'm just incredulous at the amount of excuses B2B has come up for Tomlin.

No, not you

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:38 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
955876 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Oakland was CLEARLY a debacle.

And that’s why many of us keep harping on the man. He can clean up all the malcontents & locker room cancers he wants but that doesn’t really help the bottom line when it’s his very own game day actions and decisions that lead to defeat.

It's a trade-off. If he was told that Ben wasn't cleared to play unless in case of emergency, that part of it I can understand being at least confusing for a game-day situation.

But do other stuff that wins you the game if need be.

JL it's not about excuses-- he didn't make any. I'm merely pointing out some of the situation there that he's had to deal with. Call it a reality check on expectations.

Ben was far from his only issue that day.

Watching time tick off the clock after Oakland completed the pass to the 7 yard line was a huge factor in the loss.

One that he later tried to excuse by claiming he was trying to put “time pressure” on Oakland.

This type of idiocy cannot be defended.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:18 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Really tough for a Head Coach to be saddled with a receiver that scores 15 touchdowns, regularly catches over 100 balls for over 1,000 yards.

Point is: he managed the situation into All-Pro/GOAT conversation territory, with a player that no one in the NFL wanted. When it got to be too much, he helped push him out of town. I don't see how you can spin that into a simple negative.

If anyone here still thinks Tomlin wanted to fire Arians and hire Todd Haley... I've got a New Jersey bridge you might be interested in.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:37 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Really tough for a Head Coach to be saddled with a receiver that scores 15 touchdowns, regularly catches over 100 balls for over 1,000 yards.

Point is: he managed the situation into All-Pro/GOAT conversation territory, with a player that no one in the NFL wanted. When it got to be too much, he helped push him out of town. I don't see how you can spin that into a simple negative.

If anyone here still thinks Tomlin wanted to fire Arians and hire Todd Haley... I've got a New Jersey bridge you might be interested in.

Well, then Tomlin is a liar because he said as much in interviews. Do you have the inside track on what really goes on in the Steelers' ivory tower? I'm guessing not. Yeah, okay. Tomlin's a potted plant errrrr good company man. C'mon man! Give me a break!

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:08 pm 

KC wrote:
Grew up in the Chicago area and DETESTED the October thru April grey fucking skies.

Booked for South Florida 21 years ago and never looked back.

Still love visiting Chi-town but you couldn't pay me to live there again.

Don't ya miss all the shootouts?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:47 pm 

What Tomlin says in press conferences means zero.

That it was Mike Tomlin's idea to renege on retaining Arians (to Arians great consternation because of what Tomlin told him in person) and then make the choice to hire the weird guy who is Steelers family to replace him... that strains credulity, even though I don't have the offices bugged.

Tomlin isn't a potted plant, but he is a company man. I think that was part of the deal when he took the job. I don't have a problem with that.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:15 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

That it was Mike Tomlin's idea to renege on retaining Arians (to Arians great consternation because of what Tomlin told him in person) and then make the choice to hire the weird guy who is Steelers family to replace him... that strains credulity, even though I don't have the offices bugged.

Tomlin isn't a potted plant, but he is a company man. I think that was part of the deal when he took the job. I don't have a problem with that.

He said it in an interview back in 2013. Can't find the link now. However, he takes full responsibility for letting Haley go in this article from last year: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 1801170168

Well it's all Tomlin's team now. On that we can agree. All the troublesome asshats are gone now. No one on the team is an impediment now, right? Should be smooth sailing for Tomlin and Co. to the 2nd sticky Lombardi.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:54 pm 

I just can't see how Tomlin's approach of enabling, appeasing and knob-polishing with Brown and Bell was somehow a positive or value-added attribute.

We all work with a bunch of Mike Tomlins, you know the people who have been doing their jobs for years, are competent and get decent results - they're just on cruise control. Those types always find ways to justify not working harder or not doing things differently.

"Easing into the SB" with a veteran championship team should be all the proof anyone needs that he's never winning another ring. It's an approach he has continued to demonstrate in various games and seasons, and it has CONTINUED to cost them playoff games and, like this past season, even making the playoffs.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:07 am 

JackLambert58 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

He said it in an interview back in 2013. Can't find the link now. However, he takes full responsibility for letting Haley go in this article from last year: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 1801170168

Well it's all Tomlin's team now. On that we can agree. All the troublesome asshats are gone now. No one on the team is an impediment now, right? Should be smooth sailing for Tomlin and Co. to the 2nd sticky Lombardi.

on that we agree, at least in terms of obstacles. That's why I started in this thread saying it's definitely a put up or shut up year.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:33 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Ha! My wife and I miss living in Pittsburgh very, very much, but she definitely does not miss the endless grey.

Your wife knew Ben?

I know, I know... just kidding

Don't know how I missed this. :lol:

I knew something felt different in there...

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:35 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
I knew something felt different in there...
OK. That was definitely TMI.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:15 pm 

:lol:

#CdnSteelerFanStrong