It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible Veteran Cuts
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:22 am 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-2019-here-are-12-veteran-players-who-could-be-on-the-chopping-block-after-the-draft/?ftag=SPM-16-10abi8e

I'd like to see another Joe Haden-like signing before camp starts.

From the CBS list
Safety: Daniel Sorenson or Karl Joseph are try-hard guys I like.

D-Line: I can't see the Ravens parting with Brandon Williams, but he offers position flexibility along the DL and would steal a quality player from a division rival. I just don't trust the quality of depth behind the top 3 guys.

TE: I've never been a Kyle Rudolph fan, but I think the players behind Vance McDonald kinda suck so hopefully a veteran TE shakes loose that can bolster that position.

Post subject: Re: Possible Veteran Cuts
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:23 pm 

The issue I have with them listing Williams as a possible cut? Is CBS telling us Mack a 5th rounder will be his immediate replacement. If you ever needed to see a prime example of media over valuing the draft this is it. Madness.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:34 pm 

Are we not like around 5 million under the cap if you roughly add in the draft class? Can we afford any of these players if they become available? I know we like to keep the cushion at about where we lie right now in case of injury during the season. Could we backload a contract with guarantees for a 2nd year once AssClownio's money comes off the books for next season?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:23 pm 

steelclan wrote:
The issue I have with them listing Williams as a possible cut? Is CBS telling us Mack a 5th rounder will be his immediate replacement. If you ever needed to see a prime example of media over valuing the draft this is it. Madness.

Baltimore is already replacing 4 starters on that Defense (including Brent Urban on the DL). Why would they cut a pro bowler, especially when they don't need the cap space?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:21 am 

steelclan wrote:

But Clan this happens every year right after the draft, teams look at their shiny new toys and then evaluate their vets and how much they are making.

The 49ers had Vance McDonald and then they drafted George Kittle in round 5. They liked what they saw in Kittle, who hadn't even done anything yet, had not played a single preseason game yet and then there were rumors of them wanting to trade McDonald. I caught wind of that and talked about in May of that year that the Steelers should throw a 3rd round pick to the 49ers for McDonald. The Steelers ended up sending a 4th a couple months later and the rest is history.

There might be some TEs that become available, there might be some OLBs, some safeties too.

Other teams, the vast majority of teams do not care to let their rookies just sit on the bench, they put them on the field and let them play. Some teams will be more cutthroat and try and get out from under a large contract or high per year salary if the opportunity and player provide that.

The thing with Williams and the Ravens is that they have Michael Pierce who is 4 years younger and they placed a 2nd round tender on him. I think they believe that he is the future not Mack, but having Pierce AND Mack then makes them pause and say, wow, do we need Brandon Williams and that high salary???

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:59 am 

Pabst wrote:
steelclan wrote:

Baltimore is already replacing 4 starters on that Defense (including Brent Urban on the DL). Why would they cut a pro bowler, especially when they don't need the cap space?

It’s not like the Rats haven’t done stuff like this before. Didn’t they cut a pro bowl TE (name escapes me) several years ago, and many here thought they were nuts? Then a season or two later, Super Bowl champs.
The Rats and the Cheats, unlike the Steelers, are pretty good at knowing when to cut loose still productive vets. It’s a gamble, but seems to pay off for them often enough.
Now I’m not suggesting that Rats will or should cut ties with Williams, but it isn’t as crazy as it seems on the surface.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:53 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Pabst wrote:
steelclan wrote:

It’s not like the Rats haven’t done stuff like this before. Didn’t they cut a pro bowl TE (name escapes me) several years ago, and many here thought they were nuts? Then a season or two later, Super Bowl champs.
The Rats and the Cheats, unlike the Steelers, are pretty good at knowing when to cut loose still productive vets. It’s a gamble, but seems to pay off for them often enough.
Now I’m not suggesting that Rats will or should cut ties with Williams, but it isn’t as crazy as it seems on the surface.

You're thinking Todd Heap - he was 7 years removed from his last pro bowl and was injured in each of the 3 seasons prior. Literally everyone was expecting Heap to get released. Also, his replacement (Ed Dickson) was not better.

Also, IIRC, Baltimore was right up against the Cap at that point in time. That's not the case this year.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:55 pm 

SteelDrama wrote:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-2019-here-are-12-veteran-players-who-could-be-on-the-chopping-block-after-the-draft/?ftag=SPM-16-10abi8e

I'd like to see another Joe Haden-like signing before camp starts.

From the CBS list
Safety: Daniel Sorenson or Karl Joseph are try-hard guys I like.

D-Line: I can't see the Ravens parting with Brandon Williams, but he offers position flexibility along the DL and would steal a quality player from a division rival. I just don't trust the quality of depth behind the top 3 guys.

TE: I've never been a Kyle Rudolph fan, but I think the players behind Vance McDonald kinda suck so hopefully a veteran TE shakes loose that can bolster that position.

I would be fine with Kyle Rudolph, but I think the front office has a little boner for Xavier Grimble. Any TE depth is going to come from street FAs based on what Ive seen.

Sorenson blows, and I would be shocked if Williams came up on the market.

Now Karl Joseph I would be thrilled to have. That kid lays the wood and Oakland clearly doesnt like him since hes a pick from the old regime.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:40 pm 

I go out and get Joseph in here and welcome the former Mountaineer,and would like Kyle too

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:38 am 

I like the Joseph idea but how expensive would he be and for a backup position? Cause you know they're gonna roll out the Davis/Edmunds duo with everyone else backup status. What's the deal with Tre Boston? Seems like this guy just can't stay in one place very long. Free agent again.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:51 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I like the Joseph idea but how expensive would he be and for a backup position? Cause you know they're gonna roll out the Davis/Edmunds duo with everyone else backup status. What's the deal with Tre Boston? Seems like this guy just can't stay in one place very long. Free agent again.

Just positionally, wouldn't Joseph, at least in the Steelers' eyes, be a little redundant? I think, just based on skill set, Boston might be more of what I think they need back there.

I'm with KC, though. I think, regardless of what we think, the Steelers think the safety position is set.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:39 am 

Ice wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

Just positionally, wouldn't Joseph, at least in the Steelers' eyes, be a little redundant? I think, just based on skill set, Boston might be more of what I think they need back there.

I'm with KC, though. I think, regardless of what we think, the Steelers think the safety position is set.

Joseph is a B2Ber. We HAVE to go get him

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:05 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:

Cant imagine Joseph being too expensive. He was more than a thumper at WVU. Guy had some range. I see him as FS or SS.

Now Boston, that guy wants to be a starter. And he wants money. I wonder why he hasn't stuck anywhere. Maybe tackling? Maybe hes an asshole? I don't know.