It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eric Berry?
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:17 pm 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-free-agency-watch-for-eric-berry-ranking-the-top-landing-spots-for-the-five-time-pro-bowler/
A myriad of health issues but a helluva player in his prime.
High Character
Team Leader

Post subject: Re: Eric Berry?
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:21 pm 

I love Berry. But at the price he doesn't solve enough issues for Pittsburgh.

Steelers need a playmaking FS. They needed an Earl Thomas but he went to the Ravens.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:54 pm 

The Steelers need a scheme that allows their players to become “playmakers”. All the Eric Berry’s and Earl Thomas’ in the world ain’t changing that. “Playmakers are made...not born.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:57 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
The Steelers need a scheme that allows their players to become “playmakers”. All the Eric Berry’s and Earl Thomas’ in the world ain’t changing that. “Playmakers are made...not born.

Unless you're Troy Polamalu. Then you were born. And scheme didn't matter because you didn't really follow it anyways. Or, at least, were given the freedom to mostly do what you wanted within that scheme.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:45 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

Unless you're Troy Polamalu. Then you were born. And scheme didn't matter because you didn't really follow it anyways. Or, at least, were given the freedom to mostly do what you wanted within that scheme.

Was about to say, Troy Polamalu says hi.

The obvious caveat is Troy was a generational player and we may never see another like him in B&G or in the NFL, period.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:58 pm 

Also, Berry played 3 games in the last two years. :o

He's 30. He probably has 2 unproductive years before he sees the writing on the wall and retires.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:04 pm 

B2B Thomas would have been nice, however, given the cost, his age, his injuries ...that is alot of money tied up in someone coming off a major injury and Thomas also has persistent hamstring issues. Would it have been worth the risk?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:20 pm 

SteelDrama wrote:

It would take effort to think of a stupider move.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:02 pm 

Laying the Wood wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

Was about to say, Troy Polamalu says hi.

The obvious caveat is Troy was a generational player and we may never see another like him in B&G or in the NFL, period.

You guys are proving my point. In a scheme that handcuffed him, he wouldn’t have been the “playmaker” that he was. He was allowed to play to his strengths and the rest of the defense was built around him. Same with Ed Reed, he became a HoFer because of how he was used. Both generational talents that were great because they were allowed to be.
I still don’t buy that all of these secondary players that the Steelers have drafted, signed, brought in over the years are as untalented as they look. Some yeah...all no. IMO, it’s poor coaching and outdated scheme.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:40 pm 

His body is beyond shot.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:16 pm 

All we need are takeaways! Solve that and the defense will be top 5. That is coaching, talent and luck...probably something like 45-35-20. I suspect we have the talent...the other two will hopefully show up this year.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:34 pm 

Eric Berry in his better years? Yes. Eric Berry now? Nope.

I would sign Tre Boston if the cost was reasonable. He has been productive everywhere. Can't figure out why the guy can't get a reasonable multi-year contract. Has to be something I don't know (which wouldn't be the first or last time).

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:57 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
All we need are takeaways! Solve that and the defense will be top 5. That is coaching, talent and luck...probably something like 45-35-20. I suspect we have the talent...the other two will hopefully show up this year.

But injury-wise, this team was SUPER healthy last year.

Who expects their to be no major injuries next year again? It’s a little foolish to think the same thing is gonna happen again next season.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:57 am 

Hinestuff wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

But injury-wise, this team was SUPER healthy last year.

Who expects their to be no major injuries next year again? It’s a little foolish to think the same thing is gonna happen again next season.

Technically, they played the entire season without their All Pro RB and ILB. Gilbert missed most of the year, Conner and Tuitt also missed a few games & played hurt for others.

I'd venture to guess the Steelers were about average in terms of health last year.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:17 pm 

steelclan wrote:
B2B Thomas would have been nice, however, given the cost, his age, his injuries ...that is alot of money tied up in someone coming off a major injury and Thomas also has persistent hamstring issues. Would it have been worth the risk?

I think so— at the least when healthy you get to see how much difference great FS play makes. Davis would be a solid #3. I would sooner have signed Thomas than Barron and maybe even vs Barron AND Moncrief.